Hey, I'm wanting to memorize the notes of my guitar, but I have a tendency to change my tuning a lot. I usually use drop c tuning, but also have a guitar in standard tuning, and I've considered doing c standard...

So, yeah, learning the notes seems kinda' like a daunting task. Should I just learn it in standard, and go from there? I seem to be able to translate basic chords fairly easily, or is there a more translatable way to learn them?

Thank!
i think when you play mostly in c standart, you should learn the real notes
Gear
-----
Ibanez SA-S32 FMTL
Engl Screamer Head
Engl SS412 V60 Celestion
Engl Z5 Footswitch
Ibanez Delay
BOSS MegaDistortion
You should learn intervals. If you know that an open string is, say, F#, you know that the 6th fret is C since the interval is a tritone.

That would make that a lot easier.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by -Rane-
Hey, I'm wanting to memorize the notes of my guitar, but I have a tendency to change my tuning a lot. I usually use drop c tuning, but also have a guitar in standard tuning, and I've considered doing c standard...

So, yeah, learning the notes seems kinda' like a daunting task. Should I just learn it in standard, and go from there? I seem to be able to translate basic chords fairly easily, or is there a more translatable way to learn them?

Thank!

Know the intervals and then just sound them out, In drop C tuning all you should have to do is say "Im in drop C tuning" and know the notes since you know that E and F are 1 fret apart as well as B and C

Lets take a look

Standard tuning
e||F| |G| |A| |B|C| |D| |E|
B||C| |D| |E|F| |G| |A| |B|
G|| |A| |B|C| |D| |E|F| |G|
D|| |E|F| |G| |A| |B|C| |D|
A|| |B|C| |D| |E|F| |G| |A|
E||F| |G| |A| |B|C| |D| |E|

Drop C tuning

d|| |E|F| |G| |A| |B|C| |D|
A|| |B|C| |D| |E|F| |G| |A|
F|| |G| |A| |B|C| |D| |E|F|
C|| |D| |E|F| |G| |A| |B|C|
G|| |A| |B|C| |D| |E|F| |G|
C|| |D| |E|F| |G| |A| |B|C|

Its all the same see? Intervals, knowing the string note, relating where you are to a note that you know will help remember where that note is. It shouldnt matter if you are playing standard, Drop C B D or open A tuning, know what note the string is and you can know.

Quiz yourself like this

7 frets from an A note is -

(well you know that in standard tuning the 7th fret of the A string is the E strings octave! So it must be an E!)

4 Frets from a C is - another E

3 Frets from an A is - a C!!

12 frets from any note is - the same note

In drop D tuning the 5th fret of the low D is a - G

In drop C tuning the 5th fret of the low C is a - F

so on and so forth blah blah..

have some fun memorizing notes and steps, play your guitar as you ask yourself what note it is.

EDIT: take a look at the 2 fretboards above at the 10th fret - Thats where you are starting at and then dropping the low string another step..
Last edited by Silvanarix at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by food1010
You should learn intervals. If you know that an open string is, say, F#, you know that the 6th fret is C since the interval is a tritone.

That would make that a lot easier.

This is the kind of advice I was looking for. :] So, would you memorize in standard, and go from there? Or use the tuning you use most often?

[EDIT] Thanks Silvanarix, that helps a lot... Awesome. :]
Last edited by -Rane- at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by -Rane-
This is the kind of advice I was looking for. :] So, would you memorize in standard, and go from there? Or use the tuning you use most often?

Why rely on a specific tuning? Just knowing what note the string is open is enough to know what notes are going to be there, know the intervals =P

EDIT: I will say this though - Knowing and applying in a speedy manner takes practice and adaptation. You could memorize standard tuning and then apply a whole step down to achieve your goal, or start open and count upwards. Or use patterns that give you the note knowledge you are seeking, I personally eat cheetos and fap a bit, go to the doctor and complain that I have a disease.
Last edited by Silvanarix at Jul 10, 2010,