Right,

I picked this guitar up a while ago, but I didn't get around to taking some pictures.

I started talking to my dealer about this guitar in October 2009, but it was well worth the wait.

First of all, the specs.

Model: Exotic Carve Top Modern, built by John Suhr and head builder Mike Ponce.

Body: solid one-piece quilted maple
Neck: cocobolo

Frets: Stainless Steel Jumbo (24)
Bridge: Gotoh 510, with Tremol-No

Pickups: Suhr HSH (Aldrich, FL and SSV)
Electronics: 5 way switch, coil split and a mid-notch instead of a normal tone control

In terms of inlays it has custom cocobolo rings around the neck screws, a MOP Suhr logo and a dog paw.

The sound is quite unique; it's very clear and articulated, but not overly twangy or brash. The pickups are Suhr's own and they sound great. The Aldrich is pretty hot, but not over the top. The mid-notch is a great feature: turning down a normal tone control usually has the same effect as talking with your hand in front of your mouth. In other words, it sounds muffled and loses definition. The mid-notch on the other hand allows you to lose brightness, whilst retaining clarity. Good stuff.

In terms of playability, this thing is amazing. I went for the Guthrie Govan neck profile, which is in between their standard neck sizes. In terms of thickness I guess it's not that far from a Strat. The neck has a satin finish (except on the front of the headstock), so it feels incredibly smooth. I was slightly worried the all-maple body in combination with the SS frets would be too bright, but it's fine.

Overall I couldn't be happier, apart from one thing: I ended up with my dream guitar, yet I'm already thinking about a new project . With that being said, I reckon this guitar is as good as it gets.

As a final thing, a massive thank you to Stephen White and Tim Dam from Nuts and Saddles for making this happen. If you're looking for a Suhr dealer somewhere in the SF Bay Area (or anywhere else, for that matter), check them out:

http://nutsandsaddles.com/

Also, Stephen has a repair shop (http://www.guitartech.us/) and happens to be an incredibly good guitar tech.

Right, enough of this review business and let's have some pics:

The case:

Now, the guitar:

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
All-chrome hardware (note the chrome single coil cover and switch tip, courtesy of Stephen):

Back of the guitar:

The backplate:

Cocobolo rings:

The Inlays:

Story behind the inlay: it's a little tribute to my Beagle. He misses that toe on one of his back paws, so I thought it was a nice touch. The inside of the inlay is quilted maple, to match the body. What impresses me is that the cocobolo in the inlay is the original wood of the neck: in other words, rather than scooping out the whole thing and filling it back in, he (Mike Ponce) cut around it.

Check out the detail:

Normally, I'd take a pic with the dog and the guitar, but unfortunately, he's on holiday (seriously ). Therefor, you'll have to do with this:

P.S. I also picked up a Suhr KoKo Boost, which is a very nice little pedal.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Lil Macker
Sweet.

And cool dog too.

You should see him in black and white;

Quote by holycow
Nice dog and guitar. HNGD

How much did the guitar cost u?

Thanks and suffice it to say: a lot.
You're lucky TS a cute dog and a v. nice guitar , it's so cool to have an inlay like that, where theres a reason for it.. not like the usual noob who wants dragonz cos ther osome!

HELLO!

there is not way that guitar is better then a fender strat. i mean what makes it so good.
just cuz it's all fancy and stuff? blah blah blah blah blah.

in before.

that's a sweeeet guitar. I still need to own a suhr so bad. How do you like the aldritch pups?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
there is not way that guitar is better then a fender strat. i mean what makes it so good.
just cuz it's all fancy and stuff? blah blah blah blah blah.

in before.

that's a sweeeet guitar. I still need to own a suhr so bad. How do you like the aldritch pups?

The Aldrich is great; it's a pretty hot pickup, but it still has character.

Quote by siverstorm
Nice suhr!

and yo dawg is epic dawg

He is. He really is.
tbh that's probably the nicest guitar I've seen on this site, and there's been plenty of PRS and Gibsons and custom Fenders and Carvines and all kinds of stuff. The only match your guitar has is an original white 61 "Les Paul" (actually an SG with Maestro).

In other words, HNGD!

cool Beagle too
wow. that is absolutely amazing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
btw, i thought you lived in europe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
gorgeous congrats.

HNGD!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Cool dog, cool guitar, HNGD

BTW the way you described the guitar before showing pics totally sent my guitar fetish wild.
SMILE!
Quote by Dave_Mc
btw, i thought you lived in europe?

I do. I flew out to SF to pick this one up
ah. sounds good, thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The back of the neck is sooooooooo sexy
Jbab
Quote by '93
amazing...you sir deserve a lol stack

Now that's a rather nice guitar man. I hope those chrome parts will not fade with time, that would look awful.
hey what do you think are the differences sonically with the koa and your other guitars.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
every time i see a NGD thread it makes me sad that I'll never afford half the guitars you lucky bastards have!!

HNGD!!!!
How is your tone control wired? The way you describe it interests me greatly.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
That guitar is fantastic in every way. You have great taste. It must play and sound like a dream.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I do. I flew out to SF to pick this one up

You fly out to SF just to pick up a guitar?

Dude, you must have one hell of a good job

Or no wife
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
First of all, thanks to everyone who replied

Quote by Jango22
How is your tone control wired? The way you describe it interests me greatly.

I'm not entirely sure how Stephen did it, but it was a pretty quick job. He calls it a mid-notch; I guess if you want the specifics, your best bet would be to send him an email (check my first post for a link to his site). Alternatively, you can find him on the Guitar Tricks Forum, in the tech section.

Quote by AcousticMirror
hey what do you think are the differences sonically with the koa and your other guitars.

Cocobolo is closer to rosewood than to koa, so I don't think I'd be able to say anything useful about that . What I can say, though, is that cocobolo is a very nice neck wood; it feels very comfortable, looks good and has a very 'clean' sound (not necessarily bright, but articulate (if that makes sense)).
Quote by Bonsaischaap

I'm not entirely sure how Stephen did it, but it was a pretty quick job. He calls it a mid-notch; I guess if you want the specifics, your best bet would be to send him an email (check my first post for a link to his site). Alternatively, you can find him on the Guitar Tricks Forum, in the tech section.

Cocobolo is closer to rosewood than to koa, so I don't think I'd be able to say anything useful about that . What I can say, though, is that cocobolo is a very nice neck wood; it feels very comfortable, looks good and has a very 'clean' sound (not necessarily bright, but articulate (if that makes sense)).

Cocobolo actually is just a species of rosewood. Not similar to Koa in any way.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
You'll have to believe me when I say that I don't say his on every NGD thread...

But I jizzed my pants looking at the grain in that neck, my god is that ever sexy!
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
Quote by BMGfan
You'll have to believe me when I say that I don't say his on every NGD thread...

But I jizzed my pants looking at the grain in that neck, my god is that ever sexy!

Thanks; the red tint makes it even more sexy
Nice guitar. I especially like the inlay work and the paw gives it a totally unique aspect for you.
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Do you have a direct email for him? I can only find info emails on the sites. Were those the ones you were talking about?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by nishthefish
You, sir, have excellent taste in guitars!
Happy NGD!!

Quote by Y00p
Smart move on not having listed where you live.

A truly epic NGD!

Quote by PSM
Nice guitar. I especially like the inlay work and the paw gives it a totally unique aspect for you.

Thanks

Quote by Jango22
Do you have a direct email for him? I can only find info emails on the sites. Were those the ones you were talking about?

The info1 address should do the trick, otherwise, try to contact him through Guitar Tricks.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Jul 12, 2010,