Hey guys,

I just got my Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus the other day (its new, not used), but it has a lot of fret buzz around the 7th fret. I took it to my local guitar shop and i got it setup, got the strings changed and frets filed (the guy said it might help). All of this reduced but didnt eliminate the buzz. At the store, the guy suggested that the only thing left to try would be to replace the frets.

I bought directly from a guy in china (which possibly explains how it only cost ~£250), but the guitar is a genuine epiphone and came with all the original, sealed packaging. Im sure it would cost him a lot for me to return it (he actually suggested i take it to a guitar store, rather than send it back to him), so i was curious as to how much replacing all of the frets would cost (some of them must have been damaged in transit as from the 5-13th fret, there are slight indentations where the strings were).

Is there anything else i could try to get rid of the buzz? Its a shame because, other than that, it plays really quite nicely and i dont want to have to get rid of it

Thanks
if it`s at/around the 7th it`s probably a truss rod adjustment, but i`d raise the action a 1/4 of a turn 1st, read the setup sticky thread at the top of the EG forum 1st, Jenny explains there how to check neck relief and action, i`m not gonna repeat what has been so clearly said there
Are those indents in the frets are so deep that the leveling and crowning they did (filing the frets) couldn't make them disappear?

If they are indeed way too deep, so much so that further filing and leveling would make the frets practically non-existent and render the guitar unplayable, I'm afraid you need a complete refret.
Quote by Tinderwet
Are those indents in the frets are so deep that the leveling and crowning they did (filing the frets) couldn't make them disappear?

If they are indeed way too deep, so much so that further filing and leveling would make the frets practically non-existent and render the guitar unplayable, I'm afraid you need a complete refret.

Well after the filing, the indents are now only slightly visible but hardly noticeable when playing. they could maybe do with some polishing or something becuase some feel a bit rough (not to touch, but when bending, i can "feel" the roughness)

As for the truss rod adjustment, surely a setup includes this? The action is higher than before and the guys at the guitar store have restrung it with higher guage strings (were 9s before but are now 10s or 11s: can seem to tell, maybe its a different brand than what im used to).

Also, one other question, should the strings be the same distance off the frets at the 1st-3rd frets as they are near the 19th-22nd frets? On mine, when you go higher up, they get further off...

thanks guys
Last edited by ask768 at Jul 11, 2010,
sounds like you`ve paid for a setup but instead got a expensive string change, don`t let that guy touch your guitar again. and that your neck doesn`t have enough bow in it, if you don`t know what you are doing take it to a tech but a reputable one this time.
sounds like you might need a refret!! dunno bouts cost tho sorry. and to answer your last question the strings will be slightly further of the board at the higher frets
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Quote by ask768
Well after the filing, the indents are now only slightly visible but hardly noticeable when playing. they could maybe do with some polishing or something becuase some feel a bit rough (not to touch, but when bending, i can "feel" the roughness)

As for the truss rod adjustment, surely a setup includes this? The action is higher than before and the guys at the guitar store have restrung it with higher guage strings (were 9s before but are now 10s or 11s: can seem to tell, maybe its a different brand than what im used to).

Also, one other question, should the strings be the same distance off the frets at the 1st-3rd frets as they are near the 19th-22nd frets? On mine, when you go higher up, they get further off...

thanks guys

The strings should get higher or further from the fretboard as they go up the neck. That is normal. Do you have anything to measure your action height? People generally measure action at the 12th fret, measuring the height of the low E string, from the highest point of the 12th fret to the very bottom of the string, and also the same with the high E string.
Action height is mostly preference, however if your low E string has a height between 4/64"-7/64", or between 1.5mm-2.7mm at the 12th fret, that is considered normal. Mine is set at a little under 6/64" on the low E string at the 12th fret.

On my guitar, the action height will generally rise about 1/64" between the measurement taken at the 12th fret, and the one taken at the 22nd fret. If you get a ruler to measure these small increments, it will really help you understand what's going on with your guitar.

If you are unhappy with how high the action is at the highest frets, your first step would be to lower the bridge slightly until you get what you are looking for. If you can't lower the bridge anymore without creating fret buzz issues, you would loosen the truss rod slightly. This would allow you to bring your strings closer to the fret board at the higher frets, but they would be further away from the fret board in the middle of the neck, like frets 4-9 or so.

It's all a balancing act. If you can accurately take those measurements, it will help people tell you what you should do, if anything. It will also help you understand your guitar. Good luck man!
so its only supposed to be slightly higher near the 22nd fret? cos mines noticeably off. even so that when bending around 1-7th fret, the nearby strings are pushed away, as should happen but at the 22ndish fret, my finger starts to get under the strings (it isnt a technique thing either and im 100% sure it didnt happen before i sent it to get "fixed")

tbh i was never happy with their service anyway. can anyone reccommend a good tech near slough, UK? im about 20miles west of london. that said, i didnt pay for the setup (thankfully) the old seller did.

was gonna try to lower the bridge myself but then i thought i should get some advice first. bad things tend to happen when im alone with something in need of fixing and a shed load of tools

will also try to get my hands on a good ruler.

ill talk to the seller too and see what he says. will keep you guys posted. thanks for all the help

UPDATE: sorry for the lack of any new posts yet, im still sorting out my refund for the "setup". got it now, will see what i can do next...
Last edited by ask768 at Jul 17, 2010,
just posting to say that no news so far. Im trying to get a full refund but the guy isnt responding to emails anymore . Will ring up amex and see what they say.

On an unrelated note, i dunno if i mentioned this but alongside the buzzing, the pickup selector had a problem where it wouldnt stick to a position (it would just bounce back to the centre position). i fixed it a while ago but the problem came up again last night. i opned the panel behind the switch and took the swtich out of the guitar body to have a good look at it. it seemed that the pivot for the stick; a short gold rod in the case of mine wasnt acting as a very good pivot and once i pushed it into position the first time, the switch became lop sided.

had a look around the shed and found a nail (the type you hammer into stuff ofc) that happened to be just the right diameter. it was a hair thicker than the gold rod but that meant when it was fed through the switch as a pivot, the switch felt solid like it should. the nail was initially too long but i just used a hammer and a chisel to cut it to the right length and now it works!
Basically you bought a fake from ebay. Been there... good luck ever getting in touch with him, he's long gone.

I've had various setups performed on mine and the only way to ever get rid of any buzz is to have a stupidly high action, It's just not that well made. Looks absolutely spotless though. (Unless you know what to look for).

Sorry.
Quote by ask768

I bought directly from a guy in china (which possibly explains how it only cost ~£250), but the guitar is a genuine epiphone and came with all the original, sealed packaging.

A brand new guitar shouldn't need its frets filed down. At least that's what I get from "sealed packaging."

Then again, if it was a truss rod issue, a tech should have easily spot that and fixed it.
The reason the frets needed filing was becauase there were indents on the frets presumably because some force was applied to the fretboard with the strings installed. I assume the package must have jumped around a bit in transit hence why the pickup selector too was broken.

About the guitar tech not picking it up, maybe he was new/inexperienced. im sure poeple make mistakes so i still wouldnt put it dismiss the truss rod as being an issue. as i said i was never a fan of their service, i only went to that guitar shop because it was the closest for miles.

In terms of whether it was real or not, aside from the buzzing, it plays quite nicely and sounds the same as any epi les paul ive tried either in a shop or when playing a friend's. also, when waiting for the delivery of the guitar, i looked up various "guides" on spotting fakes and when my LP came in the mail one day, it had none of these (ie knobs running parallel to the neck. epiphone logo rotated so many degrees, placement of the logo etc.). Checked the serial number too, but i guess that doesnt really mean much. so even if it is a fake, its a pretty good one

Bought it from amazon though btw (was a seller on amazon though, not amazon themseleves) and the seller otherwise had a good rating when i ordered.
finnaly im getting somewhere.

Got the money back from amex's insurance (got to keep to guitar too! with no details of who to return it to, the seller has my money, i have the guitar so everyone wins?)

took it to a good store this time, asked around and found a good one. the luthier said the problem is certainly fixable and, buzzing aside it is a good guitar, so it being a fake isnt a worry. all in all itll cost a max of £40 to adjust the truss rod, action and level the frets.

Proof that the guys at the other guitar store didnt know what they were doing is that the bridge was installed the wrong way around! (didnt notice as i didnt spend much time with the guitar before i sent it to them to fix) the neck was also dead straight
That's awesome that everything worked out! So you got your money back and kept the guitar!?? Amazing! You going to buy another guitar as well or just keep the money?
will spend a small amount fixing the guitar, kept the rest as i think ill be happy with just a nice LP . Havent got the guitar back yet (guy said itll be done by the weekend), but im hoping its sorted

will tell you guys whats up when i get it back
got the guitar yesterday. It plays fine now; theres still a tiny bit of buzz, but i cant really complain when its an epi LPC that cost me £40! (cost of repair). you do have to listen out for it, but more importantly, it cant be heard through the amp.

Thanks guys for the help, its much appreciated