Hey MT I have a question.

I'm used to chord notation above the staves, but sometimes you get chords in note form on the staves.

I want to know if you guys can give me tips to read chords faster while sight reading.

Should I just memorize all chords as "shapes" on the staff, or are there things to look for to make things easier.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^ experience

What I would suggest is getting ahold of a method book that includes chords. The Mel Bay books are good for this. I'm sure there are a lot of other books out as well.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 10, 2010,
The truth about anything sight reading related is that you just have to do it a lot. Its a skill you build over time. Reading simple piano music might be beneficial because the chords are all written in the stave
Quote by tubatom868686
The truth about anything sight reading related is that you just have to do it a lot. Its a skill you build over time. Reading simple piano music might be beneficial because the chords are all written in the stave

try the howard roberts sigh reading manual..if you can find it...excelent workbook...key word..work...you can cut your learning curve quite a bit using some of the exercises...

the book points out the quoted method of "..just do alot of it.." and even gives it some credence.." the method works"

some of the simple ways to enhance sigh reading is to realize its READING...just as in a book you don't really READ words you already know...so with notation you don't have to read ... scale runs..arpeggios etc....

picking out the highest and lowest note in a passage give you a fingering foundation for the passage...this is the cause of most hesitation in sigh reading on guitar...position...

same with chords...you may not have time to "find" all the notes in a C7#9b5/Bb...and then if the chord is mis-named..yikes...so finding the key notes (highest & lowest) in a chord is more important than the entire chord...filling in the remaining tones is easier once position has been established..

play well

wolf