Hey,

I've searched, couldn't find what I needed, correct me if I'm dumb

Anyway, I've got a MIM Fender 50's Strat. It gets quite a bit of hum, I haven't checked it yet but I hear usually they don't shield MIM guitars.

So if I do need to shield, what to use? Aluminium tape, paint, copper tape?

Just looking for some pointers and opinions.

Thanks.
Quote by DeadlySurfer
Hey,

I've searched, couldn't find what I needed, correct me if I'm dumb

Anyway, I've got a MIM Fender 50's Strat. It gets quite a bit of hum, I haven't checked it yet but I hear usually they don't shield MIM guitars.

So if I do need to shield, what to use? Aluminium tape, paint, copper tape?

Just looking for some pointers and opinions.

Thanks.

There are many reasons you are getting too much hum. Shielding is probably unnecessary unless you have ruled these out.

The reason there is little shielding is that this is not necessary with the better quality of electronics, grounded outlets, etc.
Quote by Raptorfingers
There are many reasons you are getting too much hum. Shielding is probably unnecessary unless you have ruled these out.

The reason there is little shielding is that this is not necessary with the better quality of electronics, grounded outlets, etc.

What are you smoking? No matter how high quality your electronics and grounding scheme are there's still going to be AC mains hum, radio interference, computer monitors, lighting, etc. that will be picked up and amplified. The only way to minimize this is with shielding.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Quote by Mike-T93
What are you smoking? No matter how high quality your electronics and grounding scheme are there's still going to be AC mains hum, radio interference, computer monitors, lighting, etc. that will be picked up and amplified. The only way to minimize this is with shielding.

But he is right. If there is an improper ground or it's messed up this will make a lot of hum. But you should shield anyway with single coils. Or at least shield first.

Instead of using wires with proper shielding though, wouldn't shielding the whole cavity fix all of the hum whether the wires were properly shielded or not?
Yeah, if you have full coverage then you don't need shielded wires.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah