This thread is pretty much to tell misinformed people (like me) what not to do or what to do to your solid state amp. So if you have useful info or want to know something about our amp this is the thread to post it in. So list your questions and your gear and await for the man in the sky to answer them. And please no derogatory stuff.

I'll Start Things Off.(P.S. The only reason it's for ss is that I don't want people coming here with ts problem cus thats all I find on the interwebz)
So what I want to know is:

a) How loud should you put your amps master volume so you don't damage your amp or peaker?
b) What equalizer settings can damage your amp or speaker?
c) If you unplug your cable from your amp or guitar is it bad?
d) Do you have to 'wear in" a new amp or the speaker and if so how?

My Gear:

Ibanez GRG170DX
Line 6 Spider 15
Fender Vintqage Voltage Cable

Enjoy!
The guitar has been my best friend since I was 9 years old. I have spent more time with my instrument than any human being.
Last edited by MetalNova at Jul 10, 2010,
A. How loud you want it to be. Or until it starts to sound like crap
B. None.
C. No. Just don't do it when you have your amp cranked because it will hurt your ears. Might damage your speaker in the long run too.
D. Not necessarily amps, more speakers.
A) As loud as it needs to be to keep up with the drummer, or as low as you need to not get evicted.
B) Error: Value does not exist. It's an EQ. It's not going to break anything.
C) ...no, unless you unplug it with a chainsaw. Unplug the cable from the amp first, never the guitar from the cable.
D) It's going to wear in anyway, so...no?

These are largely foolproof devices, as long as you're not plugging it into your washing machine or trying to plug a 4000 watt PA into it, it's going to be fine.
1. However loud you want to, just like any other amp.
2. None, just like any other amp.
3. I've heard that unplugging/plugging in your guitar at high volumes can damage the speaker(s) (no matter tube or SS), but I never do it, so I wouldn't know. Better safe than sorry.
4. No, no amps need to be worn in. Speakers do, however, and a worn in speaker usually has a more desirable sound (such as how Avatar sells worn in Celestions).

None of these questions are really SS specific (I can't think of many that are, to be honest). The only don't of SS amps I can think of, and this is with no offense to TS and others who have them, is don't buy bad SS modeling amps like the Spider/MG.
a) How loud should you put your amps master volume?
-However loud you want it to be. Tonal characteristics vary a bit from amp to amp, so you have to experiment with that.
b) What equalizer settings can damage your amp?
-I don't think any will, provided you're not plugging a bass into a guitar amp or something. Still, that might only harm the speaker.
c) If you unplug your cable from your amp or guitar is it bad?
-Unplugging it from the amp doesn't do much, but unplugging it from your guitar can damage the speaker over time, plus it just sounds horrendous.
d) Do you have to 'wear in" a new amp?
-No, I don't think so. Aesthetically, maybe or maybe not, but in regards to the electronics, I think not.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
1.) As a rule of thumb try not to go past 3 O'clock on the master, I've blown speakers several times that way.
2.) No such thing, it just changes your tone. But don't turn them all the way up, it never sounds good that way. Just experiment.
3.) No, not really. It just makes a horrible noise.
4.) No, the speakers maybe. But I don't see how you're supposed to hurt anything by playing with an brand new speaker.
I'm FAT!
Quote by Roc8995
A) As loud as it needs to be to keep up with the drummer, or as low as you need to not get evicted.
B) Error: Value does not exist. It's an EQ. It's not going to break anything.
C) ...no, unless you unplug it with a chainsaw. Unplug the cable from the amp first, never the guitar from the cable.
D) It's going to wear in anyway, so...no?

These are largely foolproof devices, as long as you're not plugging it into your washing machine or trying to plug a 4000 watt PA into it, it's going to be fine.

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by tatatotfolife
1.) As a rule of thumb try not to go past 3 O'clock on the master, I've blown speakers several times that way.
2.) No such thing, it just changes your tone. But don't turn them all the way up, it never sounds good that way. Just experiment.
3.) No, not really. It just makes a horrible noise.
4.) No, the speakers maybe. But I don't see how you're supposed to hurt anything by playing with an brand new speaker.

wat
Thanks guys but let me rephrase (I did edit the original too).

a) How loud should you put your amps master volume so you don't damage your amp or peaker?
b) What equalizer settings can damage your amp or speaker?
c) Do you have to 'wear in" a new amp or the speaker and if so how?

(P.S. The only reason it's for ss is that I don't want people coming here with ts problem cus thats all I find on the interwebz)
The guitar has been my best friend since I was 9 years old. I have spent more time with my instrument than any human being.
A. Like said before, you can't damage your amp by turning it up, that would be stupid. No combo should have a speaker that's rated under the wattage of the amp and if you're hooking it up to a cab which doesn't have the required wattage your just being dumb.
B. Like said before, none.
C. Like said before, you don't have to wear in your amp. Speakers do need to break in to sound better. To do that, play.
Never buy EMG's or a boost pedal (tubescreamer, bad monkey, etc.) for a solid state amp. You'll be tossing your money away.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by tatatotfolife
So you used speakers that weren't rated high enough and now you made up a silly rule?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Originally Posted by tatatotfolife

Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Kanthras
So you used speakers that weren't rated high enough and now you made up a silly rule?

This. So long as the wattage of the speaker matches the amp. (and all combos come stock with a speaker that is fit for playing the amps wattage, unless you're playing some questionable phonies) You won't have any problems. The guy who created that "rule of thumb" probably changed out his speaker and wasn't smart enough to even check wattage.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?