Do they sound good? Are they reliable? well built? All in comparison to other effects around the same price. Thanks in advance guys.
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Custom Painted Rogue Dreadnought
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head
Morley Tremonti Power Wah
Fuzz Fucker(handbuilt fuzz factory clone)
I've been looking at the Delay pedal and the Fullbore Metal pedals. I just want to see if anyone has had any bad experiences with the line.
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head
I find MXR pedals to be a great middle-of-the-line type pedal. Not cheap by any means, but not boutique quality either. They're really durable, never had a problem with any I've ever owned or played.

Sound is purely subjective but they do make some great pedals, and some that fall short IMO coughFullboreMetalcough. Just try some out and see how you like them. If you're just worried about reliability I wouldn't worry as they are good quality pedals.

Edit: Lawl I just bashed one of the pedals you were looking at. Don't let me discourage you from looking at that pedal, but I would play it first to be safe. I find the EHX Metal Muff w/Top Boost to be a much better metal pedal IMO (and much, much more versatile), and it's a few bucks cheaper.
Last edited by chip46 at Jul 10, 2010,
I've had my 2 mxr's for 6 months
They're well built and i haven't run into a problem yet. They're not indestructible like boss though.

In terms of sound, they sound great but usually only have one sound to them. Like i love my carbon copy but im wanting to get another delay sometime so that my delay sound doesn't sound the same throughout a set. If you like to customize and have different possibilities then they may not be for you
Well, i'm looking for that The Devil Wears Prada, Of Mice And Men, or Attack Attack type of metalcore distortion. Do you think the metal muff would do the job?
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head
You just named three bands I've never heard of Not really my genre but I think the Metal Muff is a versatile pedal as any I've tried. I'm sure someone else with more experience with that genre will come by and be of more help.

Edit: As for the delay if you're looking for a good analog delay and are looking at the Carbon Copy I'd also look into the Malekko Ekko 616. Same price and has more features.
Last edited by chip46 at Jul 10, 2010,
lol, just a heavier distortion that's best used for gallop start stop type metal rhythms.
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head
to me, MXR and Electro-Harmonix are the best production pedals you can find before going boutique, though I don't know if Carl Martin is considered boutique... If it isn't, make it 3 =)
I have the mxr gt-od, m108 overdrive, phase 90 script, micro amp and the crybaby 535Q wah and these are the pedals that I use the most =) I absolutely love MXR hehehe, they are built very solidly as far as I've seen (and I've had my phaser for like a year and a half, it's still working like the day I bought it, even the finish is still the same)
What is the Micro Amp used for? I've seen it, never looked into it.
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head
it's a clean boost, you can use it for a few things
1- boost your signal in the effects loop, to get a volume bump, so you'll be louder, useful for solos or stuff where you like to be heard
2- to buffer your signal when you have a long chain of pedals, to prevent your tone from dying
3- to boost a distorted toob, to get a more saturated tone out of your distortion
when i use it with my amp, insteaad of a slight crunch, i get an actual creamy distortion
Hmm, sounds like a small price for a pretty useful pedal. Thanks for tellin me.
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head
Sound good? They have their applications, but they have a lot of really nice sounding stuff (chorus, flange, GT-OD, and others). Reliable/well built? They seem to be really hit or miss. I know a lot of people who have owned many and have never had any problems with them, but the first EVH Flanger I got was totally DOA and the battery compartment could not physically contain the batteries. The second kindof worked and could hold batteries, but stopped working after only a few days. The Classic Overdrive I got only a couple weeks ago now produces no sound when turned on, but it sounded great when it worked. Hopefully the new one I exchange it for will be a bit better...

Edit: Compared to similarly priced pedals, it really depends what you're looking for. Some swear by them but in general I gravitate more to other brands. Also, depending on what you're looking for, don't count out boutique builders as some of their stuff is a bit on the cheaper end and sound great. The Ekko 616 and Disaster Transport beat the snot out of the Carbon Copy and are about the same price new.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Jul 10, 2010,
i've had very good experience with MXR
i own the ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive and i've gigged with that for a year and a half and no problems at all
i also own an MXR Phase 90 which is built like a tank, and gets the job done but it's nothing special
so in my experience MXR does very well
TOMS RIG
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
G&L ASAT Tribute Classic
Boss TU-3
Ibanez TS-808
Boss RT-20
Boss DD-7
Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah
MXR ZW-44
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Hi Gain Reverb 50watt Head
Orange Micro Terror 20watt Head
Marshall 1960A
Quote by Sean117
Hmm, sounds like a small price for a pretty useful pedal. Thanks for tellin me.

it is useful on paper, but make sure you actually know what to use it for before you get it, I just started to really use it and I've had it for a year, at first I used it with my loop station to make different layers of different volumes, worked well enough

also consider the EHX lpb-1 though, pretty much the same thing for at least half the price, it's the one I wanted but there was none available at the store when I got my micro amp.. Don't regret it though =) I think the lpb1 doesn't have a battery compartment, and I've used my micro amp alone a few times when I gigged or jammed with amps that weren't mine... in these times, it's nice to have a battery in there =)
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
The Ekko 616 and Disaster Transport beat the snot out of the Carbon Copy

Quote by steve108819

Why? They do. The Carbon Copy is mediocre as hell and way overhyped. If it were $50 cheaper, maybe I'd recommend it but there's no reason when the Ekko 616 is the same price.

And TS, quality is hit and miss. Many I've played have had a faulty switch. I have a ZW44 from by n00b days that I had to replace the switch on twice before I just stopped using it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i have had good luck with mxr. my 10 band eq has always treated me well, and my dyna comp gets the job done decently. there are definitely better pedals out there, but they are good for the money.

a few things i would like to mention.

if you look into the metal muff, i would advise against the model with the top boost. it is almost unmanagably trebely, and the top boost mode (at least to my ears) is useless. save yourself a few bucks and get the reg metal muff.

most people will tell the fullbore isn't that great and i myself don't care for the tone, but give it a shot. maybe you will like it, and with tone, only what you think matters.

i have known my MXR pedals to be pretty durable, and have ran into no such issues, and i have used them hard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Darkflame
it is useful on paper, but make sure you actually know what to use it for before you get it, I just started to really use it and I've had it for a year, at first I used it with my loop station to make different layers of different volumes, worked well enough

also consider the EHX lpb-1 though, pretty much the same thing for at least half the price, it's the one I wanted but there was none available at the store when I got my micro amp.. Don't regret it though =) I think the lpb1 doesn't have a battery compartment, and I've used my micro amp alone a few times when I gigged or jammed with amps that weren't mine... in these times, it's nice to have a battery in there =)

The LPB-1 does have a battery compartment.
Quote by mmolteratx
Why? They do. The Carbon Copy is mediocre as hell and way overhyped.

Says you and nobody else.
Quote by steve108819

The Carbon Copy is a delay pedal for people who really want a bad reverb. Repeats are muddy, undefined, and struggle to be present at even the highest mix settings and the modulation is lame and uninspiring, not to mention a pain to tweak. I guess they sound good for giving your sound a dark smear, but really one of the least impressive delays I've ever used.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Jul 11, 2010,
It amazes me to see all the hate that the Carbon Copy gets on this board. I personally LOVE the CC and the weird tricked-out oscillations I can create with it. People complain that the repeats are dark, but I like dark repeats and they aren't too dark!

I find the CC works beautifully with a spooky reverb effect. (Hall, Cave, Etc)

To each his own, I guess.
I have the MXR ZW-44, and the MXR 10-Band EQ. Definitely great quality pedals.

EDIT: To the CC delay pedal, I'd recommend an Ibanez DE7 delay/echo pedal. Doesn't cost nearly as much as other pedals and it does delay and reverb.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Last edited by GoIrish668 at Jul 11, 2010,
for a good metal distortion pedal, look at the EHX metal muff and the Digitech hardwire tl-2 metal distortion
I love UG. Two years ago the Carbon Copy was the delay pedal to have...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
I love UG. Two years ago the Carbon Copy was the delay pedal to have...

That's because everyone here will eat up anything analog for the toan. It was also one of the first in the recent "budget" analog delays. Now that units like the 616, Disaster Transport (and JR model), Deluxe Memory Boy (or standard Boy/Toy, despite their shortcomings), Aqua Puss reissue, and Boost DLA can be had for around the same price it really doesn't make sense to get the Carbon Copy anymore unless you're going for its 'unique' sound.
Board:
does the mxr 10band eq standard version have any difference to the Kerry King version?I play thrash metal and i want a tighter sound.Is the kerry king model more suitable for heavier staff or there is no real difference?i ask this,because the standard version is cheaper
MXR Pedals are my favorite pedals as far as analog devices go.

They are very reliable, Sound great, Get the job done for a reasonable price.

They cover a wide variety of styles, tones and effects.

The only downside I've had is when I was using both a Dyna Comp and Distortion + simultaneously, It produced a great amount of white noise.

But, I must say that noise is 1) easily fixed with almost any noise gate, and 2) somewhat expected from analog pedals when you are cranking the distortion + at 100%

Overall, I don't think there are many brands out there that are as good as MXR.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Well i saw that the fullbore has a noise gate built in which is one of the reasons i was looking so heavily into it. I want a good "start-stop" chug tone and if it's able to kill the noise before and after riffs than it's a huge plus.
All American Guitarist
Gear:

Fender Mustang Special
Takamine G Series
Bugera 2X12 Cab
Bugera V55 Head