Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this in , but here it is.

I've played inconsistently for about 5ish years. I'd say if you took off all the time not playing , probably about 3 years. I was never REALLY good , just ok. I was good enough to play in a few bands . I also split a lot of this time playing bass.

After quitting my last band to focus more on poker (my job) and moving to Las Vegas I haven't touched a guitar , other than randomly playing a few chords here or there , in probably a year.

A few of my good friends and ex band mates have been playing back home and it got me all nostalgic feeling , so I picked up my guitar the other day and remember how much I loved it. So I guess my question is....
How do I get back into this?
I can't remember anything at all. I actually still have decent dexterity in my fingers and the few tabs I went through I could still play (just couldn't remember them).

If you had to almost start over , how would you?

fwiw I'm self-taught
I would say start remembering what you can't remember.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
try to focus on using correct technique

like using your fretting hand in the right position and using all your fingers (pinky and Thumb)

anyway thats what i would do if i could go back and "relearn"

basically a chance to unlearn all your bad habits that you have developed (if u have.. i know i had some)

maybe learn the major scale and circle of fifths relationships
Last edited by Coagulation at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by irweojhy903!ier
Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this in , but here it is.

I've played inconsistently for about 5ish years. I'd say if you took off all the time not playing , probably about 3 years. I was never REALLY good , just ok. I was good enough to play in a few bands . I also split a lot of this time playing bass.

After quitting my last band to focus more on poker (my job) and moving to Las Vegas I haven't touched a guitar , other than randomly playing a few chords here or there , in probably a year.

A few of my good friends and ex band mates have been playing back home and it got me all nostalgic feeling , so I picked up my guitar the other day and remember how much I loved it. So I guess my question is....
How do I get back into this?
I can't remember anything at all. I actually still have decent dexterity in my fingers and the few tabs I went through I could still play (just couldn't remember them).

If you had to almost start over , how would you?

fwiw I'm self-taught

learn a couple of songs..... have fun with it.

see where you go from there.
shred is gaudy music
I quit playing for a little while after my fiancee got pregnant and right after the baby arrived, but got back into it. And into it more than I ever was to begin with. I lovingly clean my guitars now and play everyday. I play as much as I can. Mostly late at night.

Just play what you used to play. I always knew theory, etc, but I am spending more time learning that and it's been interesting. I can't imagine life without guitar now. I don't know what happened. I always loved it, but now I really, really love it.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci