I'm currently working on my second build and would like to make my own neck. I've been trying to figure how do to it. What kind of tools will I need?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Router for the the truss rod.
Fret saw if your slotting your board.
Fretwork tools (files, etc)
Saw of sorts to cut it out.
Planer/jointer if your doing multiple lams in the neck.
Clamps
Digital caliper ( to check the thickness as you carve it)

For carving it, you can use any of the following:
Angle grinder
files
Rasp
Spokeshave
Draw Knife
Sandpaper
belt sander
Etc.

Personally, i use a angle grinder with the sanding disc, and then clean it up with some sandpaper, and files.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
OK when building how do you decide on the shape? I've never built a neck before so I'm unsure of this kinda stuff
(\__/)
Shape it until it's comfortable in your hands. Some people like a v, d, c etc, I use a combination of them, personally.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
what about neck angle?
(\__/)
Last edited by spartanhero at Jul 10, 2010,
Are you referring to the angle in the pocket, or the headstock angle? And what about it?
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
You dont need a neck angle if you are rocking anything but a non recessed TOM. Also, head stock angles are like 10-15* depending on brand I think, and Warmoth uses a . I think I'll end up rocking a 12.5* I think, but we'll see what kind of miter box I end up with. Speaking of, I'd get a miter box to cut the fret slots unless you buy a slotted board, and a radius block to sand and radius the board again unless you buy one already radiused. I'd get one slotted and radiused if I were you.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
10-15 is for a scarf. Angled ones (non scarf) usually range from 3-7 (i use a 7 usually)
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I was planning on using a bigsby tremelo and a roller bridge would I need a neck angle for that?
(\__/)
Thanks. I'm working on the neck for a telecaster and its going to have bigsby and a roller bridge so would i need to angle the neck?
(\__/)
You probably will have to. Here is what to do. After, you have your guitar all finished, just before you screw on the neck set it in place and secure in with a clamp. Then, pull a string tightly between the nut and the bigsby. Next, measure from the fretboard to the string checking if it is the same distance away all the way down the fretboard. If it is not add a small shim in the neck pocket and measure again. If it is still off add a slightly lager shim and so on. The slightest difference in heights down the fretboard won't matter to much.
Last edited by lil PopTart kid at Jul 12, 2010,
When building a neck how do you figure how wide to make it?
(\__/)
measure necks on your current guitars and decide what you like. Also google guitar neck widths like the les paul and strat. You are looking for to measurements one from the nut and one from where the neck meets the body. then tapper from that with to the nut width.