Page 1 of 2
Now BC Riches has a bad rap, and not to jump on the bandwagon but i agree with most of it. I dislike alot of bc riches that ive played, except one, the NJ V. While looking for a new guitar I stumbled up the BC Rich Masterpiece Mockingbird. How does this guitar balance out? How is the quality? is it shit like "every bc rich is"? On a scale of one to ten how is it?

What are other alternative along these lines that you all suggest?
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
When it comes to guitars, and almost anything in life, you get what you pay for.I've played $200 BC Richs which play horrible. Ive also played $800 ones which play fantastic. Personally i've never played the Masterpeice Mockingbird, But if you are considering it, then find a way to play it. For all you know you might love it and it could change your view on those guitars.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
it's agathis, isn't it? I seem to remember it is from when I was looking at bc riches recently.

i know agathis normally gets a bad rap. I'm not sure how justified that is, having not tried too many (any?) agathis guitars, and also knowing that there are a lot more variables going into the final tone than just the wood.

Every BC rich is certainly not shit, that's complete guff. Certainly the US-made ones have a stellar reputation (also a stellar price, lol), and I recently bought a calibre classic mockingbird (european-made, czech I think) and it's excellent too. So anyone saying they're all rubbish is demonstrably talking bollocks.

As you say, though, the $65,000 question is where they get good. I haven't tried enough of them to know, I would have a rough idea based on the consensus I've seen, the general specs, etc., though obviously look into this further as I haven't tried them, and it's only an educated guess, as I said. I would avoid the bronze series, based on what I've heard. Possibly the series above the bronze too (whatever that is). I would say when they start getting name-brand pickups (rockfields, emgs, etc.), based on the models I looked at, seems to be where they start getting decent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Andrew/WK
Never.

Quote by jutila91
This man speaks the truth.

LOLZ

Yeah I'm sure those $5000 USA BC Riches are complete pieces of shit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
LOLZ

Yeah I'm sure those $5000 USA BC Riches are complete pieces of shit.

Probably.
My ex-lead guitarist has a Masterpiece Bich, and for the $400 CDN he paid for it it sounded fine(it sounded decent through his Line6 SpiderJam, and sounded good through my Randall), but I really don't like those ports on the side of the guitar(his cord fell out of his port at least twice during jams, and he got the guitar new in August), and I don't know how it feels because it was righty, and I'm lefty, but...
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by Andrew/WK
Probably.

that's unlikely. as i said, they have a stellar reputation (and not from internet idiots).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you get what you pay for...I see no reason to believe that B.C Riches are horrifically bad for the price you pay,just like almost everything else

ofcourse the only guitar that rules out of this is the dean razorback..which is indeed overpriced(but thats the nature of most signature guitars)
yeah, i love the mockingbird shape. The gunslinger is nice too (though granted it's just a generic superstrat shape, it's not like it's really a bc rich shape).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I actually really like the shape of Mockingbirds, all the other shapes look nasty though. Especially the Warlocks.

thats a whole other thing

I hate the way they look....Most B.C riches are designed by axe murderers
Quote by archenemyfan
thats a whole other thing

I hate the way they look....Most B.C riches are designed by axe murderers

Kerry King's not an axe murderer. D= He's just a bald, egg-shaped creep with a skullet and a bad case of glam denial.
Quote by SlayingDragons
i dont think iwould ever play one because i think there is better bang for your buck, and unless i was dimebag i couls never give such a guitar shape justice.

if your toting a warlock....you actually better be a warlock at playing guitar to have a guitar looking that hard.

its like wiggers who are in reality rich white kids from the rich parts of philly or something. if you own a warlock, and cant solo like a chieftain, sell it. now.

....yeah see. kerry king can pull it off. me no. never.
Quote by ikey_
i dont think iwould ever play one because i think there is better bang for your buck, and unless i was dimebag i couls never give such a guitar shape justice.

if your toting a warlock....you actually better be a warlock at playing guitar to have a guitar looking that hard.

its like wiggers who are in reality rich white kids from the rich parts of philly or something. if you own a warlock, and cant solo like a chieftain, sell it. now.

....yeah see. kerry king can pull it off. me no. never.

man lemme tell about the best bang I ever got for my buck....
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
holy crap. I'd play the eff out the virgin...

also....

milk came out mah nose

B.C. Rich designed their BDSM humbucking pickups to provide a solid sound and to be durable while delivering high output. BDSM stands for Broad Dynamic Sonically Matched. Which simply means that the pickup is designed to reproduce a wide range of frequencies accurately (broad dynamic). Then they are tested and matched in pairs (Neck and Bridge) by their inherent individual and signature tonal and output characteristics to give a solidly balanced tone (sonically matched).

yeah i love marketing. It's like in adverts where they say, "This toothbrush was specifically designed to clean your teeth" (or words to that effect). I mean what the fuck else was it designed to do? Were they trying to design a fighter jet, and were about to bin the design, when during a brainstorming session some enterprising soul thought, "Hang on a minute, I have an idea, rather than losing all our research money, I think that unaerodynamic and suspiciously small design might work as a toothbrush!"

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
jeez. I'll explain when you are older

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bdsm

oh yeah, i mean i know that too. i just figured you were laughing at the fact that they were designed to sound good, lol, considering it's a guitar forum.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In regards to the ST. Do you guys really think its worth the jump?

Id have to pawn some stuff to make the money, as i just lost my job yesterday.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
bull shit ive had a B.C rich warlock since i started playing, still have it, and its great, taught me (almost) everything i know its still good to use and was only 250$. after wards got a dime dean razorback, and besides from pinch harmonics coming out with more of a ring that was the only difference. i think you can play a 150 dollar piece of shit, and if your a good guitar player, and granted nothings actually wrong with the guitar, it will sound great. As oppose to people buying Gibson Les' Pauls for 5,000$ expecting to be naturals lol just my opinion though
i agree jenson, but alot of bc rich (as well of any brand) low end guitars are really bad, it just seems like ALOT of the stock line is low end.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
My only real beef with BC Rich is that they dont make any 8 Strings

But as for the mockingbird, i have an old mockingbird 7 string. And i have to say, the balance on that thing is complete shit. It is incredably neck-heavy. I would recommend trying on in person before buying.
Guitar world gave it platinum, that mean anything? the body is nato, which is a cheaper version of mahogany, usually tighter grains, so more attack, and also less resonant, but the pickups give the extra bite nato provides a nice boost, just dont play on em clean, oh an its dead sexy

EDIT: I was talking about the exotic classic mockingbird, the one u want is a piece of shit

This is the exotic classic http://www.bcrich.com/mockingbird_exotic_classic_lefty.html
Eh.
Last edited by Himelnator at Jul 10, 2010,
and why is the one I want a peice of shit? List reasons, i want to know so i dont make a mistake.
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
I have a Mockingbird (I think it's a discontinued model from the late 90's...something caled a 'Bronze Series')

I love the action, the pickups are pretty good (not the best, but pretty good for factory pickups). Al in all I can see myself paying $450 or more for it.

I guess what I'm saying is go with what you want, not what other people say. You know the sound you want.

(But for the most part I agree...B.C. Rich's usually sounds like crap)
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
I have a Mockingbird (I think it's a discontinued model from the late 90's...something caled a 'Bronze Series')

I love the action, the pickups are pretty good (not the best, but pretty good for factory pickups). Al in all I can see myself paying $450 or more for it.

I guess what I'm saying is go with what you want, not what other people say. You know the sound you want.

(But for the most part I agree...B.C. Rich's usually sounds like crap)

The funny part is Bronze is the lowest of the lowest model BC Riches...XD You SURE it's a Bronze?
Quote by SlayingDragons
I doubt if many of the posters have owned a BC Rich.

I have 3...all distinct beasts...there is no real 'price point'. Two BC rich guitar models are often no more like eachother than they are to a Jackson, Ibanez, etc.

With the exception of Fender and Gibson, guitar brands don't mean much in general terms.

An advantage of BC Rich and other 'odd' guitars is that they lose 70% of their value as soon as the starry-eyed buyer takes it out of the guitar store. You can pick up a $500 BC Rich from local classifieds for $125. I actually picked up a BC Rich Bich Metal Web with two EMG humbuckers....and custom gator case for $175. .... An Afterburner with custom case for $140.... and a Warrior with Floyd rose (and hard case) for $125.

I like all 3, but if i hated them, I could resell them and get my money back.

Don't buy this type of guitar new.
In recent years BC RIch has sucked a lot of ass, but their new higher end import stuff is stellar for the price. Easily as good as any LTD or Schecter out there. I bought this one a few months back and love the hell out of it. Mahogany body, maple walnut neckthrough, OFR, Grovers, maple top, etc. Paid about $800 for it with HSC. Can't beat that. Thing plays and sounds like a beast. And for the guy that said the Gunslinger is not a BC Rich shape, but a generic superstrat shape, that is like saying the same about an RG, because BC Rich has been building the gunslinger just as long as the RG has been around.

ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Enix165
The funny part is Bronze is the lowest of the lowest model BC Riches...XD You SURE it's a Bronze?

eh, it's better than my Peavey and like Raptor said, B.C.'s used are a steal. I got this thing for $50. I couldn't even get a squier for that price. A quick pick up swap and viola!, I'm golden.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by C1337us
I thought bc riches were awesome, I was 12. Then I grew up.

And now your 16. LMAO!!!
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by Vastros
In regards to the ST. Do you guys really think its worth the jump?

Id have to pawn some stuff to make the money, as i just lost my job yesterday.

is it wise buying anything until you have a new job?

the one you're looking at is probably not that great because the body is agathis (cheaper wood), bolt-on (bolt-ons are great, when they're done as part of the design, but for the mockingbird it's a cost-cutting exercise), and the pickups are bc rich own brand. Having not tried it, but making an educated guess, that leads me to believe that it's a cheaper model where a lot of corners have been cut.

Quote by yellowv
And for the guy that said the Gunslinger is not a BC Rich shape, but a generic superstrat shape, that is like saying the same about an RG, because BC Rich has been building the gunslinger just as long as the RG has been around.

yeah i know, i just meant it's not one of BC Rich's more original shapes.

Quote by yellowv
And now your 16. LMAO!!!

+1

I'm 28 and i just bought a mockingbird. Go figure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i don't think you can judge a whole guitar company so roughly
i own a entry level bc rich and it's really not so bad
http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-Jr--V-IT-Electric-Guitar-512173-i1147586.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=29481639
surely it has it flaws, but then again what cheap guitar doesn't?
i have a friend who has a warlock bronze series and it still plays well after 2 years
besides my guitar teacher's only guitar was a squier affinity and he never complained, sounded better than my ibanez at that time
i don't think you can judge so vaguely (like all the other ibanez vs jackson threads)
Page 1 of 2