I've been researching all different kinds of tube amps. My budget is around $500. I play mostly alternative and modern rock, some bands i like to play are switchfoot, relient k, red hot chili peppers, stuff like that. I want a good clean and crunch.

I looked into getting a Peavey classic 30 with a bad monkey, but i played it at a store and it's clean sounded twangy or something. I didn't get much chance to tweak the controls on it though, so I probably just need more time on it.

I aso tried the 6505+ (112 combo.) I liked it alot. It's my top choice right now.

But there are lots of amps I haven't looked into yet. (Marshall, Bugera, Vox, etc.)

What are your thoughts?
Did you try the cleans on the 6505+? They are not to my or most peoples liking. But if you like them more power to you. I think you would like the classic 30 if you messed with it more, I think it has excellent crunch and good cleans.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
If you can find one (used) try a Marshall DSL401. Underrated on here, and would be great for that style.
Man, when I tried the 6505 112 combo, I got a death metal amount of gain (which is perfect for me). I plan on buying it soon. I didn't mess around with the knobs enough to know if it could get some really good clean or crunch tones. My impression was that it was truly nothing more than a death metal amp with okay cleans.

There are tons of options out there for lower gain tube amps. I tried out the Peavey Valveking 112, but couldn't get too much gain out of it. It had better cleans than the 6505 though. The most gain I got from it were maybe The Killers. I didn't like it, but hey, that may be your sort of thing.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Last edited by RR3tran at Jul 10, 2010,
I didn't get a lot of time to try out the 6505 either. For the short time I had with it, i liked the clean more than the classic 30, but I've read everywhere that the classic 30 has great cleans, so I think I need to go back to the store and mess with the settings.

Right when I got to the store, the guy working there pulled me off of the classic 30 before I could mess with it and put me on the 6505. He said the 6505 would better suit my style but i told him I don't play metal... I guess he didn't know what he was talking about.
IMO, just because you don't play metal, that doesn't mean you wouldn't like a "metal" sound; it's really more about the notes that are played. However, there is such a thing as too much gain. You say you like crunch; I don't own one, but just from looking at videos, i love the the crunch tone on the Bugera 333xl. Plus, it can do really high gain too, if you ever need it.
I say bring in your own guitar to the store and take your time to mess around with all the amps you want (without, you know, breaking it). An amp is an important purchase you should definitely take your time on. Don't let the saleman direct you to amps, do your own research. And people on the internet can only tell you their opinion about tones and recorded audio is different from what the amp sounds like in person. It's up to you to decide what you like.
Rig:

Jackson RR3
Jackson DX10D
Randall RH150 G3
Peavey 412MS
Morley wah pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15W
Last edited by RR3tran at Jul 11, 2010,