Is it true, that say if I had a great clean amp, it would mean better breakup/overdrive sound with a pedal?

Also, could you guys give me some reccomendations for great clean amps with nice overdrive a la classic rock (led zep, jimi, the who, white stripes, mr.big that kinda tone) along with that great clean tone for blues, jazz etc. Also a nice clean amp and a good classic rock/OD? and maybe even a distortion pedal for metal. My price range for the lot is around the £500 mark
Last edited by Lollage123 at Jul 10, 2010,
to me, different amps do different things, if that's what you mean... If you want breakup/overdrive, I wouldn't go for a super clean amp such as a fender twin or bassman, but rather a crunchy amp, such as a vox ac15/ac30 =) a totally clean amp will need to be pushed a lot if you want it to be breaking up (a 100watt twin in breakup mode is effin loud, I would know I have one -- and it has a very bad overdrive channel)
I understand that, but what I meant was say I had a really good clean amp, would a good OD pedal sound better through that than an "okay" clean channel amp?
I'd say not, people look for different things with different channels. For example, a good clean channel for me would be nice and bright. But for an OD channel i like a beefy dark sound without treble. so for me a good OD wouldn't sound good in a clean channel cos it'd be bright and trebly.

Hope that makes sense :P
TM
Quote by tim_mop
I'd say not, people look for different things with different channels. For example, a good clean channel for me would be nice and bright. But for an OD channel i like a beefy dark sound without treble. so for me a good OD wouldn't sound good in a clean channel cos it'd be bright and trebly.

Hope that makes sense :P
TM

Tone knobs are your friend
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
An overdrive pedal pushing a Bassman hard is going to sound better than a crap amp's distortion channel. Whether you can get enough distortion for your needs depends on what you are looking for. For my money I'd rather mod a pedal to get more gain (real gain) so I could push it as hard as I needed than buy say, a Spider.
Better still - buy the right amp in the first place to cover your needs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Could I please have some amp reccomendations and Pedal reccomendations please
For classic rock an 18 watter would be perfect, but if you want a little more headroom I would recommend a 36 watter.

www.valvepower.co.uk (Email Steve at Valvepower and ask about a 36 watter)

Pedals - Rothwell F1 booster, Tonebender fuzz or fuzz face.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Hmm I live in a flat though so I dunno. Could I use an attenuator, or is their something smaller?
valvepower has built-in vvr.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?