Hey,
I have a Squire Stratocaster that I got for christmas. Well, I like the way it sounds and I'm not bothered with it, but when is it time to get a better more expensive guitar? I don't mean when the guitar breaks or something, but when would be a good time to upgrade?
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
Go to Guitar Center, then play all the guitars. When you fall in love with one, you'll want it. Or just when you realize that your Squire doesn't sound too good. All in all, if you're happy, just keep the squire
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Well, if you think about it, you don't really NEED a new guitar unless your old one breaks. I've been stuck with the same gear for 8 years simply because I can't find anything that I want to buy.

You'll know when it's time to move on. Some people want a new guitar the moment they buy their first. As you try out other guitars, you might notice that they offer something your guitar doesn't. That's when you begin to consider a new one.
Quote by sashki
Well, if you think about it, you don't really NEED a new guitar unless your old one breaks. I've been stuck with the same gear for 8 years simply because I can't find anything that I want to buy.

You'll know when it's time to move on. Some people want a new guitar the moment they buy their first. As you try out other guitars, you might notice that they offer something your guitar doesn't. That's when you begin to consider a new one.

Quote by archenemyfan
when you feel like you need one

maybe I should've used want instead of need...
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Poglia
For the two people above: it's Squier, not Squire.

I wasn't sure, so I just copied him
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

To chime in: I'd wait until you find something you really want, and you can afford it. If you're okay with the Squier, then don't buy a new guitar until you can afford an American Strat. Buying a Mexican Strat would be silly, because you'd lose money of the trade-in, and it would take longer to afford the American one. After all ... if you like Strats, you're going to want an American eventually, and you'll never ever sell it except for a different American Strat, or maybe to pay rent or fix your car if you're screwed on money. So why not just get it right away?

If you decide you don't like the Squier, or it's not suitable for the kind of music you play, then get something else as soon as you can afford a decent guitar. But never, ever trade a guitar for something that isn't better, unless the worse one really speaks to you somehow.

I wanted a Les Paul for the longest time - almost as soon as I started playing electric. I bought a bunch of guitars, each a little bit nicer than the last. I had been playing for about 8 years before I got my Les Paul. But if I put my money aside and waited, I could have been playing that Les Paul for 4 of those years. Now that I had it, I wish I had never bought those other guitars. Unless something drastic happens and I need money fast (and we're talking serious, like medical bills), I plan on willing it to my kids. Or hopefully my great-grandkids, if I live that long.

Unless you record or play out, there's no reason in the world to upgrade until something screams OWN ME!!! at you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, I find that my old, crappy guitar that I used to hate is now the best guitar I own for slide playing. And Jack White and Josh Homme play crappy guitars all the time. Just because something is 'better' doesn't mean it's better for YOU and YOUR sound.
I think to give you proper advice we need to know whats wrong. It seems to me like you have starter equipment (no offense of course because most of us do/did at some point). So the thing I suggest is an amp. You're gonna want a better amp because that is the major part of your tone. Then focus on a guitar. Of course you could just ignore this and go straight for the guitar as it is tempting. We all get GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Good luck!
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
+1
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
This is a very subjective question. Basically you get a different guitar if your old one gets destroyed or if you don't feel that your present axe "cuts it" anymore. Only you can determine point number 2 for yourself.

ron666
IMO you should buy a new guitar when the need arises. For example, lets say you just started playing and you picked an inexpensive squier that has 3 single coil pickups, 22 frets and non locking trem. That guitar will do just fine while you learn the basics. As you progress, you may find your guitar missing some features you want or even need to play the music you want to play. If you like Metal, that strat may not be what you want anymore. So in this case, you should go find a guitar with features that help you get the sound you want, such as humbuckers, double locking trem, 24 frets, and a different neck.

Anyway.. you say you like the way your current guitar sounds. Thats great! Are you in a band? Do you play gigs and shows? If so, its actually a good idea to buy another guitar to serve as a backup incase of an emergency (such a string breaking on stage).

In the end there is no rule as to when you should buy a new guitar. Alot of people just buy a new one because they like it, nothing else
Quote by dethfield
IMO you should buy a new guitar when the need arises. For example, lets say you just started playing and you picked an inexpensive squier that has 3 single coil pickups, 22 frets and non locking trem. That guitar will do just fine while you learn the basics. As you progress, you may find your guitar missing some features you want or even need to play the music you want to play. If you like Metal, that strat may not be what you want anymore. So in this case, you should go find a guitar with features that help you get the sound you want, such as humbuckers, double locking trem, 24 frets, and a different neck.

Anyway.. you say you like the way your current guitar sounds. Thats great! Are you in a band? Do you play gigs and shows? If so, its actually a good idea to buy another guitar to serve as a backup incase of an emergency (such a string breaking on stage).

In the end there is no rule as to when you should buy a new guitar. Alot of people just buy a new one because they like it, nothing else

Your answer was very good! I am a newb haha and have been playing for a couple months. I don't like metal very much but I like the indie/alternative and rock type of music. And I have the Squier HSS strat. So would it be better if I got a strat with only single coil pickups?
Set-Up
Squire Special Stratocaster
Bullet 150 AMP

*1st Guitar Set-Ups FTW*
^You should give the user that just posted some useful advice.
Imo if you like Hard rock, you're better with the HSS than with the triple single coil. The minute you want to play some AC/DC, Guns and Roses, etc., you really want this humbucker !

I started playing a bit less than a year ago, and after 3-4 monthes, the only thing I've wanted was changing that damned epiphone special II that sounded like crap. When you start playing, you don't really realise, you think that it's probably because you suck that it sounds bad. In my case, it was so bad it kept me from playing cause I felt sad because of how bad the tone and the action of my guitar was.

But as long as you're happy and you don't feel like there's another guitar you'd like, you got no reason to change it. Actually you should be happy, I changed mine a month ago, it plays perfect... but there are allready other guitars I wish I had.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I'm a collector and a player so my answer is a lot different than other peoples.

Obviously get a new guitar when you can afford it, but for me... I buy one once I finish paying off the last one. My wife knew the deal when we got married
As it's been said I'll just say it again.

When you feel your current guitar doesn't cut it or you found another guitar that is much more comfortable to you than your current one.

If a guitar is uncomfortable to play on then you lose the urge to play, I should know, when i started i had the crappiest yamaha strat copy you could imagine. Then I got my SG and I played much more often.

As i progressed I noticed the SG's neck was uncomfortable (I didn;t know much when I actually bought it)

Then I did lots of research and found my Edwards was a friggin beauty to play.

But thats all about feel. If tone is the problem then you need a new amp first.