Hello my people.

I've been reading about ways to practice and learning by ear seems to be recurring for much more rewarding results. Understand I have no previous training except for the fact that I know some chords and bits of pieces from songs through tabs.

I've got some questions about the method:

How long does it take?

Is this extremely hard?

Is the pay-off really that beneficial?

My top artists have to be Breaking Benjamin, Rise Against, Slash, and artists similar. Do you all have any suggestions of songs by them that would be easy to start with learning? Maybe my Last.Fm will help for you to make suggestions. I appreciate everything. Thanks!
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
The results are very rewarding!
The benefit, is that it helps you to learn music and understand relative pitch by ear, as in how chords relate to one another and how they sound in a progression. You will gain an improved feel for the music you hear.

Start by taking a song and just trying to find the root note.. there are free programs out there that will let you slow down songs, repeat sections etc until you get that particular note.

At first it can be frustrating, but as you start to make progress, no matter how small it is, you will find it most rewarding and encouraging. This will spur you on to keep going!

Soon you will want to learn a song by ear and not just rely on tabs.
Quote by musk
Start by taking a song and just trying to find the root note.. there are free programs out there that will let you slow down songs, repeat sections etc until you get that particular note.

Any links to these programs?

I use mac so I know of transcribe and !slow down music, which I think is used on both mac and windows...
Any suggestions for songs now?

out of the bands you listed i think rise against would be the easiest.. try some basic punk tunes to get used to the idea... like blink and green day, nofx etc... just to get used to picking out a simple three chord structure and recognizing octaves from power chords etc
What I do, is pick up the chords in the song, write them down, then write whether they're minor/major, then work off the scales to find the rest of the fills etc. A good one to work out would be "Give it All" or "Injection" by Rise Against, they''re easy, and they're my favourites.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISGjNeBENXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-lJWr0L5B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiltQYlNot0

These are pretty good for it. Punk is good for starting to train your ears. Other songs by them work too, but the obscene amount of fuzz that Husker Du's guitarist uses can make it a bit hard to hear the exact chord.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by musk
out of the bands you listed i think rise against would be the easiest.. try some basic punk tunes to get used to the idea... like blink and green day, nofx etc... just to get used to picking out a simple three chord structure and recognizing octaves from power chords etc

The thing is I know not a thing about chord structures and octaves. Where can I learn about this stuff? Theory is my weak spot.

try just searching the lessons on here mate, I am sure there a plenty of basic theory articles on here.

If all else fails just google mate there is a wealth of information on the web about music theory.

Hope this helps.