Hello fellow guitarists ..
I post this because I had one invonvenient today with a berhinher pedal , more specifically the Ultra Metal, Metal zone copy ..
All started when i connected a 9v transformer that I found in my house, then, i started to feel the smell of burning ... I realized the tranformer has reversed polarity ...

Here I give you a couple of photos if somebody knows something , any help is welcome ...

may be noted here that the diode burned down...

this is the other side of the board and in red is pointing the diode burned ....

in this picture is shown in red where the diode is soldered across the board ...

Regards

From already thank you very much, any help is welcome ....

cheers
Last edited by Martineta at Jul 10, 2010,
dont see any pictures man. just letting you know.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
may be noted here that the diode burned down...
(Invalid img)

this is the other side of the board and in red is pointing the diode burned ....
(Invalid img)

in this picture is shown in red where the diode is soldered across the board ...
(Invalid img)

Fixed the links for ya. You're welcome.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
That's weird, reverse polarity normally doesn't kill something. It's only things like wrong voltage or amperage that are dangerous.
I know the pedal was very enticing because of the price, but... it's cheap.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
in fact was a 9 V 1000 mA +) -

i cant understand why it burned down the pedal but.. nobody knows how to fix it?
Aren't diodes made for restricting the current to just one direction? I'm not sure, but it might just be the diode that's dead? I shall consult teh interwebz
could just be a factory reject. I think that even if something is putting out a ton of milliamps, if the pedal isn't drawing it, it won't be used..

I'm probably wrong on that tho.. not big on electrical engineering..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Martineta
so... should i replace the diode to fix the pedal?

you could try it but i'm not making any promises. if you got some old piece of crap lying about like a dvd player or something, open her up take out a diode that looks the same and replace it. (i dont need to tell you to un plug it do i?)
make sure you get the polarity right though.
chances are that half of the circuitrys actually dead aswell.

it could just burn it even worse but if you've got no other options, i'd go for it

"He who dares, wins"...

...sometimes...
Last edited by ybselgo at Jul 10, 2010,
Replace the diode and if any electrolytic caps look like they've suffered damage, replace them as well. That should fix it right up. Just be careful not to lift the traces.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Martineta
berhinher pedal

There's your problem

Seriously though, don't bother with it ... just get a better one.
Quote by pwrmax
There's your problem

Seriously though, don't bother with it ... just get a better one.

It's a $.50 fix. If he likes it, why not?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
It's a $.50 fix. If he likes it, why not?

He ain't gona be able to fix that, it burned up the tracer with the diode, he needs a new board, better to just get a new pedal.

This is the main reason I don't use power supplies with my pedals, cause if this happened to my TS9, I would be very very sad, $120 down the drain, cause of the wrong power supply.
The copper is still there. The solder mask burned up. And if it had indeed burned up, it's a simple fix.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by ethan_hanus
This is the main reason I don't use power supplies with my pedals, cause if this happened to my TS9, I would be very very sad, $120 down the drain, cause of the wrong power supply.

Yeah but he just used one he found lying around in his house. I trust all my pedals with the OneSpot adapter, which was actually made for pedals.
It's got nothing to do with behringer quality. If any, I would say Behringer actually designed it pretty well.

The Diode is supposed to burn up to prevent damage to everything else, and in this case, it did it's job.

The diode is only a few cents. Just get the same unit, usually IN4001 and solder it back if you know how.

You're lucky it's not a SMT diode. Any other SMT chips damaged and you're screwed.
It is designed deliberately this way so it's user repairable for those with soldering knowledge.

With ANY other pedal, it would end up the same with exploded diode or worst.

Reverse polarity damage is mild compared to overloading with voltage or wrong amperage unregulated adapter.

The problem doesn't lie with behringer. It lies with user and those who have little to no knowledge of electrical engineering.

Heck even I am not an electrical engineer and I know when not to blame behringer for user problem.
Looks like the trace survived. Just replace the diode and it should be good to go.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by musk
get a better pedal... mxr distortion

I got it, and i like it ... but i use this to thrash a bit..

I had put another pedal into reverse polarity(even another behringers) and i never burned down nothing..
so i think its a pedal failure...

i ll replace the diode and then i tell you :P
Haven't bothered reading the replies but here's some tips from someone studying electronics;

-The trace("wire") behind the diode seems to be burned down, and if the contact doesn't make itself, it won't work. I suggest you test it with a multimeter if you have one(check-diode/beeper function). The way that function works is it actually just beeps if the contact makes itself. If you don't have a multimeter, simply short-circuit the burnt part with a wire(as small, straight as possible, without touching another point in the circuit).

-Now as for the diode, it might not actually be dead, but from the signs of it, it clearly is. You wanna switch that diode, AND fix the trace behind it). I'm pretty sure it's a 1N4001 or up to 1N4007. As long as the replacement diode is between 4001-4007 it will work good.

-When replacing the diode, make sure you respect the polarity, if you don't it won't work. The grey line on it is the cathode, and 99.99% of the time the polarity will be marked on the board. Usually there is a white line on the board to show you where the cathode goes. In other cases it will be the electrical symbol(an arrow with a bar at it's tp). In this case, the bar on the arrow represents the cathode.

A pedal like this is pretty easy to repair, should cost you like a buck maximum. If you don't feel very confortable with it, I suggest you still try replacing the diode and fixing the burnt wiring, seeing as it's a very simple task.

EDIT: Forgot to mention some stuff about the diode. Still check out the value of it(it will go 1NXXXX). You also wanna make sure it's the correct type of diode(rectifier, Zener, etc). The board should say "D" with a number or something. If it says "DZ" then you'll need to make sure you get the correct replacement. I can check that up for you quick if you need. Just tell me the number on the diode.

From the looks of it I'm pretty sure it's a rectifier diode(1N4001, up to 4007).

EDIT2: Contrary to what some people are replying, this is a very easy fix. Fixing the trace is simple as adding a wire across the burnt part. Use shielded wires(with rubber).
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by sfx
The Diode is supposed to burn up to prevent damage to everything else, and in this case, it did it's job.

No, the diode is supposed to prevent any current flow whatsoever if the wrong polarity is used. Instead it blew and probably took a few other components with it. This is an example of poor quality.
Quote by Roc8995
No, the diode is supposed to prevent any current flow whatsoever if the wrong polarity is used. Instead it blew and probably took a few other components with it. This is an example of poor quality.

I wouldn't necessarily blame a manufacturer because a piece that burnt. Like TS said, the transformer was reversed. I can tell you a rectifier diode like that won't burn for no reasons.

And for the info, pedals/pre-amps are much harder to damage than power amps. Pre-amps usually run with voltages lower then 20v, and they rarely use above 100mA. I strongly believe the problem is really the reversed polarity, seeing as his problem appeared right after messing up on the wiring.

EDIT: I didn't mean to sound as if you were wrong. I just believe the problem is really "user-made".

And you were right about the diode. A diode isn't a fuse or a breaker, it's not a protection.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 11, 2010,