Finally.

I finally got my freaking Polytune. And yes, it really is worth it.

Polyphonic Tuning:

Strobe Tuning:

Needle Tuning:

Whole board:

The review:

I never owned a true tuner pedal before; always used handheld Korg tuners and whatnot. After a long time of fighting with these at gigs, I decided I needed to buy a tuner. Right when I began looking, however, I heard about the Polytune. I waited for quite some time, but I committed tonight and went out and got it.

If you want a review of features, go to the TC Electronic's site; it's got plenty of advert. Works like a charm, showing an LED graph of intonation across all strings, needle tuning or strobe tuning for individual strings. Can be switched to guitar or bass mode for all of these, and tunings can be set all the way down to B tuning.

It works great. Switches between single string and polyphonic tuning quickly and easily. The LEDs are awesome. I was actually amazed at how clear and bright they are not only in darkness, but in bright light. Now I haven't put it out in the sun, but I can at least see it way more clearly than my Tube Screamer's LED.

The button layout on top is convenient. The tuning mode/down tuning buttons are small enough that you won't bump them, but they aren't hard to hit, even with short fingernails.

The case candy was cool too. Pre-cut velcro to fit around the rubber bumpers, TC Electronic stickers. It's a nice package. For $100 even, it definitely beats out the Korg Pitchblack or Boss TU-3. If you want a great, useful pedal, go for it.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I hear these things have trouble with the low E in Polyphonic Tuning. Any comments on this? I'm in the situation with hand tuners at gigs you were in right now -_-.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by enselmis
What happens if I plug in my 7 string?

HNPD!!

It flips out and just reads the top 6. It works in monophonic mode, so honestly it's worth getting since it'll have the same functionality as normal tuners + the polyphonic mode for your six strings.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars

i have one too, they rock. mine has no problem with the low E.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 10, 2010,
cool, I never herd of this tuner before. I need to keep this in mind whenever I spring for a good pedal tuner.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
I hear these things have trouble with the low E in Polyphonic Tuning. Any comments on this? I'm in the situation with hand tuners at gigs you were in right now -_-.
I've got a Polytune (have for several months now) and haven't had any of the 'issues' I've read about online.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Looks awesome HNPD!!! Sorry for the off topic but which is better this or the BOSS TU-2/3?
Quote by dizzle_312
Looks awesome HNPD!!! Sorry for the off topic but which is better this or the BOSS TU-2/3?

Quote by Kevy Absolution

For $100 even, it definitely beats out the Korg Pitchblack or Boss TU-3.

My take.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
The pedal is impractical.

Unless you can tune 6 strings at once, why get this at all?!

Just get a turbo-tuner, pluck the string at the speed you like, tune it up and move on to the next string.

There's no difference in speed of tuning whether you pluck all strings and tune them one by one or pluck one and tune it with a fast feedback tuner such as turbo tuner.

So i'll say this polytune is just a gimmicky tuner with no practical advantage.
^ No, it actually is faster. Say one string is out of tune, but you don't know which one. Strum all six and the out of tune string shows up red. So much easier than checking all six. I've got the Polytune iPhone app and i really like it. Now if only I could get rid of my Pitchblack then I could get the pedal form...

Happy new tuner day!
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
I like the concept of the pedal. It seems to work great too. HNPD

Now..

^ I realize you can check all string with just a strum but for accuracy and the quickest response time the TT ST-200 wins.

I still see people going back between the two though. Great pedal
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Yeah dude the last time I was tuning at a gig I was so far behind the rest of the band that they started the next song without me, every 123ms counts!

No but really, I think the PT saves time with the overall tuning anyways.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by Zamorak at Jul 11, 2010,
The point is that the time is cut because you need not hunt for the out of tuned strings. In most cases, between songs you're either still in tune or one string is off. The major selling point other than the polyphonic tuning is the clear display, and since it's the same price as other tuners, I still think it's advantageous.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Last edited by Kevy Absolution at Jul 11, 2010,
Another PolyTune owner checking in. No problem with the low E for me. Works perfectly!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I want one, now.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I love the whole polyphonic thing. Kudos.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by sfx
The pedal is impractical.

Unless you can tune 6 strings at once, why get this at all?!

Just get a turbo-tuner, pluck the string at the speed you like, tune it up and move on to the next string.

There's no difference in speed of tuning whether you pluck all strings and tune them one by one or pluck one and tune it with a fast feedback tuner such as turbo tuner.

So i'll say this polytune is just a gimmicky tuner with no practical advantage.

it's a great use of advancing technology, but I agree Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ftw.
Quote by ze monsta
it's a great use of advancing technology, but I agree Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ftw.

I'm not quite informed on the Turbo Tuner. What is the big advantage with it?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
I'm not quite informed on the Turbo Tuner. What is the big advantage with it?

I don't know what's 'turbo" about it, but it does have .02 cent accuracy. In contrast the Polytune is .5 and the Pitchblack is a whole 2 cents.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
^I'm pretty sure the pitchblack is 0.2, not 2
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Eh, a fifth and half a cent aren't a big enough difference for me to fret. The human ear can rarely hear less than 5 whole cents.

For example, listen to this:

http://www.aqdi.com/5.wav

It's A430, A435, A440, A445, and A450. I have pretty accurate pitch (debated perfect, but that's another argument for my professors) and I can't even hear it unless I can play them in a different order.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
It flips out and just reads the top 6. It works in monophonic mode, so honestly it's worth getting since it'll have the same functionality as normal tuners + the polyphonic mode for your six strings.
Deftones guitarists uses one and he tunes his guitars to funky tunings, sometimes as low as F#. How does it work in that instance?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Deftones guitarists uses one and he tunes his guitars to funky tunings, sometimes as low as F#. How does it work in that instance?

I personally haven't tried it, but theres a button at the top and as you press it, the tuning setting changes down from E, Eb, D, etc, down to B.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
So it won't pick up the note unless you ask it to? In which case it's useless for eight-string guitars or drop A tuning.
The polyphonic mode is, yes. Unless its all dropped not just one string. It's still chromatic...
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Again, yes, it only works for six and four strings and down to B tuning.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars