So I was using my computer on Thrusday when suddenly a message popped up from my anti-virus software. It informed me that a virus had infected a file on my computer, and it told me to disconnect my computer from the internet to prevent any damage. So I turned off the internet to that computer, using the handy little button the message had provided me with that said, "disconnect computer from internet" or something like that. So then I go to the computer yesterday, turn it on and log in, and when I do the message I had seen the night before popped up again. So I called my dad. He came from the kitchen, looked at the message. He said that the message wasn't really saying anything went wrong so he ran a virus scan. But it didn't come up with anything. So he concluded that the anti virus software was just f*cking with us and that there wasn't a virus. It must have made a mistake. So he left. I shrugged and tried to turn back on the internet. But it didn't work. So I shut down the computer and started it back up. But when I logged in, the message about the virus popped up again. I clicked out of it and tried to turn the internet back on on the computer. But it said it couldn't renew the ISP address or something (we have DSL btw) and it won't connect my computer to the internet. So what should I do? Has anybody ever had any experience with this type of stuff before? Can any body help me?

tl;dr: Disconnected the internet from my computer. Can't get it to go onto the internet. Help.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Quote by sashki
What antivirus do you have? Have you tried disabling the antivirus and reconnecting to the internet?

Its something called Trend Micro PCcillin. And I haven't tried that yet...

Quote by ChucklesMginty
Reconnect it.

I didn't actually disconnect the internet physically. I clicked on something on the computer that disconnected me. And I tried reconnecting it on the computer. It didn't work.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Last edited by afterthewar at Jul 10, 2010,
Reason why i hate most antivirus stuff. they have scams included in them :/
I use Avast!, awesomeness in 50-megabytes .
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
-Go to "Network and Sharing Centre"
-In the side panel, click "change adapter settings"
-The could be two things in there: Wireless adapter, and ethernet adapter. One of them will say disabled underneath it. Right click on that one and press enabled

EDIT: I'm assuming you have vista or 7, otherwise I don't think this will work sorry
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Reason why i hate most antivirus stuff. they have scams included in them :/
I use Avast!, awesomeness in 50-megabytes .

Avast is the shiznitch. I install it on all of my family's computers.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by EnyoAdonai
-Go to "Network and Sharing Centre"
-In the side panel, click "change adapter settings"
-The could be two things in there: Wireless adapter, and ethernet adapter. One of them will say disabled underneath it. Right click on that one and press enabled

EDIT: I'm assuming you have vista or 7, otherwise I don't think this will work sorry

Sigh. I wish. I'm still stuck using XP.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
Quote by afterthewar
Sigh. I wish. I'm still stuck using XP.

Ok then... going on a whim here... this stuff might exist on xp.

Go to control panel and search for something to do with internet like "Network and Internet" or "Internet Devices" or something along those lines...

Basically What I think has happened, is by clicking disable internet you've told windows not to use a device, or disable a driver or something. You need to find a list of networking devices (should be a max of 2 devices in there) and then tell it to listen to that device again.

EDIT:
Google knows more than we give it credit for
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Jul 10, 2010,
Quote by breadstick
Avast is the shiznitch. I install it on all of my family's computers.

whoz da man?

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by afterthewar
I think this might work! Thanks dude.

No prob
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Sounds like you have a rogue antivirus program, honestly.

Download malwarebytes onto a flash stick from malwarebytes.org. Make sure your proxy settings are off in your internet browser. Make sure your IP address settings are what you had them as (typically set to automatic.)
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Trend is very effective actually, we've had it for a year, no problems at all...
Quote by Kevin19
Trend is very effective actually, we've had it for a year, no problems at all...

thats because you havent fapped in a year

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion