Hello UG'ers!

I hate making threads like this, but this time I really don't know other options.

Today I was jamming with a classmate and friend of mine (we've been jamming together for quite some time actually), however, he doesn't have an amp ATM.
So had to play through my Vypyr and I played through my Marshall MS-2 'toy'-amp.
Anyway, we had the idea to found a band with 2 other people.

That means we need amps, but I'm not looking for an amp for him (he'll most likely get a Vox AC15 or something like that).

It's me who needs a new amp, which should be an amp for that band only.
I'll get a higher end tube amp later on, but I feel like I need an amp with a specific tone for this band, which I wouldn't even get from the higher end tube amps I am looking at. (Hopefully that's not confusing to you. )

So what I want is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Budget: 250€ (maximum)
- Used is OK
- Solid State
- Mostly jamming with the other guitarist and in a band/gig setting it will be miced anyway
-- Therefore the wattage should be around: 10-30W
- Combo
-- Should be as light as possible and not bigger than a 1x12
- Music style: Blues Rock, sometimes going more into hard rock style (influenced by Rory Gallagher, Hendrix, ZZ Top, Chuck Berry, etc.)
-- That means I need medium gain, as much warmth in the sound as a solid state can get, should cut through a mix since I'm the lead player most of the time, clean channel is not even necessary
- Reference tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFJ1Dr0knMg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, why do I want what I want?

I actually enjoyed playing through the Marshall MS-2 and kinda like that solid state character of its tone for our style of music (allthough it's overall tone is pretty crappy). Furthermore I love the sound on the video I posted as reference.

Also solid states are generally cheaper and lighter than tube amps. Since there won't be much money left for a new amp after buying myself a nice guitar and because of the fact that I will might need to take it to school frequently, both factors are big Pro's, but it's mainly for the tone-reason.

TL;DR: If you don't want to read the whole post, just skip to the middle-section between the two lines and recommend something.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by salgala2000
There are Amps that feature trans-tube techonology which are SS amps but are voiced to sound more like a tube amp. Would you go for that?
And based on the description I think you don't want a modeling amp but just verifying.. Do you want a modeling amp?

No modelling amp.

I never played any trans-tube SS amps, but if they get me close enough to the tone on the video I would consider one of course.
However, to me the amp ZZ Top used for that sound doesn't try to sound like a tube amp.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Jul 10, 2010,
marshal lead 15? or something along those lines? it's gotta be solid state?
you should look at some vintage stuff...
vox defiant
some of the marshal ss stuff
all that ish.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
marshal lead 15? or something along those lines? it's gotta be solid state?
you should look at some vintage stuff...
vox defiant
some of the marshal ss stuff
all that ish.

Marshall Lead 12 or something you say?
Looks like there are many of them on eBay.

But anyway, is it possible to get that kind of sound with let's say a distortion pedal and some cheap tube amp?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Marshall Lead 12 or something you say?
Looks like there are many of them on eBay.

But anyway, is it possible to get that kind of sound with let's say a distortion pedal and some cheap tube amp?

ya but that would defeat the purpose of your project right?

there should be a ton of used stuff that's solid state all over the place. check gc used ebay craiglist.

Of the top of my head I only know about the old vox ss amps, the old marshall ss jcms and the lead 12. There are others though. If gumbi pokes his head in here he will be able to let you know.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya but that would defeat the purpose of your project right?

there should be a ton of used stuff that's solid state all over the place. check gc used ebay craiglist.

Of the top of my head I only know about the old vox ss amps, the old marshall ss jcms and the lead 12. There are others though. If gumbi pokes his head in here he will be able to let you know.

If I say that I don't care what kind of amp it is, would tell me what kind of distortion pedal would do the trick?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz