Hey, I have been playing around with my equipment and I have noticed that my distortion tone could be better. I am using a Marshall Vintage Modern with no pedals for my clean tone, and a Digitech Bad Monkey for my overdrive, and a crappy Behringer Ultra Distortion for distortion.

I normally play the distortion with the overdrive kicked in too, other wise the distortion sounds kind of muddy, but when I turn the distortion off all together I notice that the overdriven tone sounds amazing.

I am wondering if I should look for a good distortion pedal, or if it would be better to just get another overdrive pedal and for distortion just overdrive an overdrive... if that makes sense.

TL;DR
Should I use just overdrive for overdrive and just distortion for distortion, or could I get good distortion using two overdrives?

The pic will hopefully clear up what I mean
Attachments:
overdrivedistortion.jpg
Quote by TheyCallMeRune
You can get a very nice Distortion boost, by using your overdrive

That is what I currently do, but I was wondering if I only need to do that because my current distortion is crappy. What distortion pedal do you recommend? Forgot to mention I play progressive metal like Protest the Hero and BTBAM

Quote by salgala2000
Heres what I do.
Guitar-Tube Screamer (as my mine overdrive)-Tube Screamer (paired with other tube screamer for distortion)- Treble Booster (paired with both tube screamers for my solo's)

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I don't think I would need a treble booster though, I am probably already using to much treble as it is.
Quote by IronMaiden76
does the amp have an overdrive or distortion channel?

Well it is a Marshall Vintage modern, which is technically a 1 channel amp, but it has a high dynamic range toggle which throws in two more preamp tubes. This just causes overdrive, not really distortion.
The amp is 100 Watts, and in order to get some really good overdrive I would need to crank it... but I am basement playing. At low volumes the amp-only distortion sounds terrible, but the clean is beautiful
Quote by IronMaiden76
what if you used 1 overdrive with the dynamic range? have you tried that?

Yes I have tried that, and it sounds like poop
I also like leaving the amp on the cleanest setting possible and just get distortion with pedals.
so yeah, i think the overdriving an overdrive would work... WAIT WAIT WAIT what styles of music do you play? cuz you could overdrive a distortion for more crunch...
Quote by sawstink
Forgot to mention I play progressive metal like Protest the Hero and BTBAM

Lose the distortion pedal. Serious guitarists rarely use them except for fuzz. Especially if you're running a Marshall...
sell both pedals and get a tubescreamer, and maybe a boss metal core(not metal zone) or some kind of Big Muff. Depends on what style of music you're playing though
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Last edited by handbanana at Aug 6, 2010,
i would try a better distortion pedal first......(boss ds1,proco rat,or big muff)
Quote by handbanana
sell both pedals and get a tubescreamer, and maybe a boss metal core(not metal zone) or some kind of Big Muff. Depends on what style of music you're playing though

The metal zone pisses all over the metalcore in my opinion.
Quote by RR5Jackson
The metal zone pisses all over the metalcore in my opinion.

Both are terrible. I don't think there is a *good* distortion pedal out there. I think one is always better off getting an all tube amp with a satisfying sounding gain channel/structure. Doubt anybody here will disagree.