Ok, so I wanna turn my current 4 string into a 8 string bass... But would the extra tension of the 4 new strings snap or warp the neck?
Or would there be any other problems I overlooked?
Quote by Jason Jillard
your neck wont be wide enough, or storng enough, and your pickups wont be wide enough, and your bridge doens;t have enough saddles.

and

and..

no..

If I'm to understand correctly, I believe TS is thinking of an 8 string bass in the same respect as a 12 string guitar.

In which case pickups will be fine, but the neck would most likely need to be wider and definitely thicker.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
If I'm to understand correctly, I believe TS is thinking of an 8 string bass in the same respect as a 12 string guitar.

In which case pickups will be fine, but the neck would most likely need to be wider and definitely thicker.

Also he's going to need more saddles, and machine heads.
Quote by Ascendant
Also he's going to need more saddles, and machine heads.

A new bridge could be fitted with ease, but machine heads would definitely be an issue, unless TS had a headstock wit all the existing machine heads on one side, then something could be figured out.

But yeah, basically it wouldn't work without a hell of a lot of pointless work.
Better off just buying an 8 string.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
i know quite a few 8 string basses that have 4 bass tuners and then 4 guitar tuners :P

suppose TS can do that. and as ive helped my friend before do this. he bought a 5 string neck
filled in the bolt spots (base of neck) widened that then drilled new holes.

added the new bridge and it worked great for him. his previous pickup fit it fine :P (twas some bar pickup
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
...or put the octave string tuners at the ass-end of the body with ferrules drilled into the headstock.

The neck doesn't need to be wider at all.
yes, its a Tbird, but i have a old cheap stedman p bass, and i was thinking about converting it. i have the extra tuners, i just need to buy the new bridge. I decided just to buy a 8 string neck.
as I lok over at my 6 string bass's headstock there is definately enough room up there for 6 guitar tuners. or do what someone else above me said and put the ferrels in the headstock and put some tuners in the body of the bass (which I've seen done)

Then just swap bridges and there ya go.

4 guitar tuners
4 ferrels
1 bridge
no sir away a papaya war is on