I've opened several threads lately, about my guitar situation and what i am wanting to do, and i apologize this is another. Basically, the two guitars in question are an ESP LTD EC-1000 that plays fantastic, and an EPI LP std, which plays like crap.

The thing is, the Epi sounds wonderful, much bigger and brighter than the ESP. However, I can't get over the ESP's thin neck and playability, its miles beyond the Epi.

So i am trying to go somewhere in the middle, the playability of the ESP with the sound of a real les paul. Does it exits? Can it be had? Am i a crazy person for thinking of such a thing?
Guitars
Amps
Which EC1000 were you playing?

Obviously, the EMG version won't sound anything like an Epiphone or Gibson LP.

What you could do is get the EC1000, and then put Gibson pickups in it. That'd probably help a lot.

You should get the one with passive SD's though, because I've read about issues with the ground wire when you change from stock actives to passives.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by C1337us
Agile! check out rondomusic.com

I just picked up a used AL-3000 via CL - I had the same issue with the Epi LP neck being a bit too thick for my tastes. The AL-3000 is a bit thinner, and the fretboard is ebony which lends itself to fast/smooth playing. GREAT guitar although admittedly the frets are not level at all. I can see this just looking down the neck while checking the relief. Still, it plays very good and is definitely on par with the Epi LP in terms of price/bang for the buck.
Quote by C1337us
Agile! check out rondomusic.com

I have checked out rondomusic before, which model are you recommending?
Guitars
Amps
well first off, if its feel, you cant change that. if its action that can be changed.

no guitar has a perminently bad action unless it is made with substandard parts. i can say without question that most decent to nice epiphones can hold a superb action. especially the nice ones. you just have to set them up.

but if you dont like the feel of the nec or something....well thats just the build.
Quote by Offworld92
Which EC1000 were you playing?

Obviously, the EMG version won't sound anything like an Epiphone or Gibson LP.

What you could do is get the EC1000, and then put Gibson pickups in it. That'd probably help a lot.

You should get the one with passive SD's though, because I've read about issues with the ground wire when you change from stock actives to passives.

My EC-1000 has the EMG's.

I've thought about selling both guitars to purchase an ESP Eclipse with SD pickups, but i haven't convinced myself that it will solve the problem, i don't have a situation where i could try one too.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
My EC-1000 has the EMG's.

I've thought about selling both guitars to purchase an ESP Eclipse with SD pickups, but i haven't convinced myself that it will solve the problem, i don't have a situation where i could try one too.

It won't make it 100% the same, but you have to appreciate the difference between an EMG active set, a passive SD set and whatever they use in the Epiphones.

Ceramic EMG's and alnico passive pickups in a Epi LP are about as different as night and day.

Play both side by side through the same amp. Provided it's a decent amp, I cannot see how you cannot be convinced it'd make a difference.

Even if you can't play that model, can't you play something at least similar?

And if not, then take my word, and anyone else on UG - changing the pickups to passive vintage/medium output pickups will make a massive difference.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Have you tried going to a shop and testing an EC-1000 with SD's that would sound much closer than the EPI than you think. Also if you think the Epi sounds good, i encourage you to put a Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo in your LTD and tell me the Epi still sounds better.

Epi stock pickups are garbage. So if the Epi you're talking about is stock your mind will be blown if you pop in some SDs into your EC.
Epi necks are much thinner/smalller than their big brother Gibson LPs. If you find Epis too big, and define a big neck as "plays like crap" go for the modern slim necks which are found on more metal guitars. ESP/LTD come to mind but I think Ibanez also has some slim necks.
Part of the classic LP tone is the fact that is has a fairly stiff, beefy neck. Even LP 60's slim necks are more round than many other guitar makers.
Any LP copy which seeks to emulate the original faithfully will probably have a neck no slimmer than an Epi's.
Moving on.....
i agree. my ei les custom definitely has a smaller neck than my friends les paul studio.

and i completely disagree. i tested both above mentioned guitars for hours. there was hardly a difference between the gibson pickups and the epi ones. gibsons were better. slightly different tone. but the price difference is about 250 to uh....well who buys aftermarket epi pickups?

for such a difference i expect better. ive heard SD, lindy fralin, etc that al had a much more pleasing and noticiable difference that i would rather pay hundreds for. but epi vs gibson? too close to spend the money on.

ive never had anyone tell me my guitar sounds bad. in fact, after a lesson one day i had an entire room of music majors and my guitar teacher who has his masters degree in jazz say my guitar was really nice for what it is.

perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.

point being....my guitar sounds great. sure it could be better. but i have a list of 1000 dollar guitar that sound worse than it....
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 11, 2010,
I should consider building a custom guitar. Just use a body you like and add the esp neck to it, and intall the epi pickups in it. Then you could adjust hardware to your choice
My Gear:

Stagg l320cs
Laney Prism P35 (35watt)
Custom Strat
Aria Steel String acoustic
I may be able to find a LTD with the seymour duncans around here to try, i'll look into that.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Guitars
Amps