I'm looking to change the pickups in my MIM strat. I plan on getting a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue or Blues Deville and a zendrive pedal to add that Dumble essence to my tone. Anyone have any idea what set of pickups would be good?
For SRV, Lollar Blondes or Blackfaces depending on how much gain you want from the guitar. Mayer's sound much more like early 50s style pups to me, maybe Lollar Tweeds. Depends on what you want.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
For SRV, Lollar Blondes or Blackfaces depending on how much gain you want from the guitar. Mayer's sound much more like early 50s style pups to me, maybe Lollar Tweeds. Depends on what you want.

Well when I say SRV I was thinking of his clean tone. (Riviera Paradise/Lenny) And from what I've read john mayer uses very low output pups.
SRV was known for his 50's strat he played most the time. he also had other strats, but his main guitar was the 50's one fender rereleased as a sig guitar. so i recommend 50's spec fender pickups, i mainly thing of either suhr pups or lindy fralin pups when i thing of old strat pups. a set of either goes for about 250-300 usd.

mayer uses some fenders, but i am unsure which ones, the 50's set is a little punchy for his tone though, so i would guess he uses modern designs or something like a 60's spec strat pup. fralin and suhr also do 60's versions as well.

for more bite goes with a 50's style strat set, for more smooth and dynamic sound go with the a 60's style. you can also go new fender SCN's or reissues but i don't feel they sound that good or are worth the money.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Mayers pickups are actually called Big Dippers and they scoop the mids. I'm just looking for a pickup that gets close to the voice of his because you cant buy them separately :/
Quote by ethowitz
Mayers pickups are actually called Big Dippers and they scoop the mids. I'm just looking for a pickup that gets close to the voice of his because you cant buy them separately :/

That's only in his sig Strat, though, which he doesn't actually use all that much. Not sure if he has them in his current main guitar (The Black One) which is supposed to be made as his new Sig sometime in the future.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Odd. There are usually several sets. It looks like there's only some dumb ass trying to sell his bridge pup for a ludicrous amount.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Raijouta
That's only in his sig Strat, though, which he doesn't actually use all that much. Not sure if he has them in his current main guitar (The Black One) which is supposed to be made as his new Sig sometime in the future.

Yeah thats true actually. I'll check out the specs when it's released because thats the tone I'm trying to capture
Quote by mmolteratx
Odd. There are usually several sets. It looks like there's only some dumb ass trying to sell his bridge pup for a ludicrous amount.

Ha yeah I'm looking at that now. Theres someone selling the whole assembly, but thats over priced too.
i recommend avoiding anything fender makes themselves, mainly because it doesn't normally sound better than other 3rd parties (the Big Dipper pups sound like a pile) and anything fender does make that sounds good is way overpriced compared to 3rd parties.

get pups from some anal tone nut and not from some company whose main motivational factor on design is a profit margin.

the sooner you quite looking fender the quicker you'll be happy. i like matt's advice on the lollars too.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i recommend avoiding anything fender makes themselves, mainly because it doesn't normally sound better than other 3rd parties (the Big Dipper pups sound like a pile) and anything fender does make that sounds good is way overpriced compared to 3rd parties.

get pups from some anal tone nut and not from some company whose main motivational factor on design is a profit margin.

the sooner you quite looking fender the quicker you'll be happy. i like matt's advice on the lollars too.

Which lollar pickups would you recommend for a john mayer-esque tone?
I've got a set of Custom 50's I ripped out of my Mary Kaye that sound decent. Any of the standard stuff sounds pretty bad though. I had some Vintage Noiseless in my Standard until a few weeks ago that sounded flat out dead. The Lollars I have nail the SRV tone with a big clean Fender but to tell you the truth, if you want that tone, you need a better amp than the Blues Deluxe/DeVille. The Zen does a good job at the dirty tones of a Dumble but those guys, especially SRV, rarely use anything but the clean channel. For a decent cheaper set up, you might want to try a used Fuchs ODS mod.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I've got a set of Custom 50's I ripped out of my Mary Kaye that sound decent. Any of the standard stuff sounds pretty bad though. I had some Vintage Noiseless in my Standard until a few weeks ago that sounded flat out dead. The Lollars I have nail the SRV tone with a big clean Fender but to tell you the truth, if you want that tone, you need a better amp than the Blues Deluxe/DeVille. The Zen does a good job at the dirty tones of a Dumble but those guys, especially SRV, rarely use anything but the clean channel. For a decent cheaper set up, you might want to try a used Fuchs ODS mod.

Yeah I dont want to break 1000 bucks for an amp at this point. I was looking at a used Rivera clubster 45. john Mayer actually HAS a dumble ODS.
The Rivera is a better choice than either Fender IMO. They're pretty mediocre and way too bright for either SRV or Mayer tone. The Clubster is a really nice amp. And Mayer has like 10 ODSs and an SSS or two. He haz too much moneyz. As far as pickups, any of the Lollar SCs other than the Special would be great. I'd probably go for Blondes in your position. Suhr FLs would be nice as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
The Rivera is a better choice than either Fender IMO. They're pretty mediocre and way too bright for either SRV or Mayer tone. The Clubster is a really nice amp. And Mayer has like 10 ODSs and an SSS or two. He haz too much moneyz. As far as pickups, any of the Lollar SCs other than the Special would be great. I'd probably go for Blondes in your position. Suhr FLs would be nice as well.

Alright man thanks for all your help
I'd invest in a pedal that could mimick the amps they used more over pickups.
You're going to buy the pickups and you're going to realize that they get you maybe 3-4 percent closer at best. Spending the same money on a pedal would get you a lot closer since you don't have the moneys for one of their amps.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer