I'm double jointed, my friends think its weird but I think its pretty cool cuz it can make my tendons stick up lol. So I heard it was good for guitarists, how so?

Also when doing muted notes, after its past 12 u can really notice the difference in tone, does this matter or should I do something to avoid it?

Edit:
Oh yea btw a few more q's.

Do people strum above pick ups or between them. Do people strum on certain areas to make certain tones?

Does putting rubbing alchohol on your fingers help grow calluses?

Do some people purposely strum the picks at an angle to make a cleaner sound?

Is it possible to go through a pick like skaters go through skateboards and I go through laptops and computers?

Yeah I gotta be perfect at at 1 thing in my life X_X
Last edited by xnotorious at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by xnotorious
Do people strum above pick ups or between them. Do people strum on certain areas to make certain tones?

Oh sure. You can make a lot of tonal variations depending on where and how you pluck the strings.

Quote by xnotorious

Don't know, but what I find grows my calluses fast is doing a lot of bending (& fast playing) on the thin, unwound (e, B, G) strings.

Quote by xnotorious

I think you may mean pluck. Strum is where you flail your wrist/arm and make a big motion usually hitting a lot of strings.
Anyway, yeah people use all kinds of angles. The more perpendicular (is that right?) to the string, the less pick noise you will hear and vice versa. Experiment.

Quote by xnotorious
Is it possible to go through a pick like skaters go through skateboards and I go through laptops and computers?

I suppose it's possible, especially with thin picks. I use thick nylon picks and they last for years.
Quote by xnotorious
I'm double jointed, my friends think its weird but I think its pretty cool cuz it can make my tendons stick up lol. So I heard it was good for guitarists, how so?

If you're talking about being able to bend your fingers in reverse, "lock" your joints and stuff like that, I happen to be the same. Can it help? Having stretchy fingers yes, it can help a lot, but otherwise I don't see much advantages into it. It's not like you're gonna play with your fretting palm towards the audience.

Quote by xnotorious
Also when doing muted notes, after its past 12 u can really notice the difference in tone, does this matter or should I do something to avoid it?

Do you think it sounds good? If you do, then go ahead. But as with every technique, don't overdo it.

Quote by xnotorious

Oh yea btw a few more q's.

Of course. With more experience, you'll realise playing music isn't following rules, it's about messing around with your sound, no matter how you do it. You can do anything with a guitar, as long as it sounds good.

Go ahead and experiment. Don't restrain yourself from doing stuff others won't do.

Quote by xnotorious

I have no idea.

Quote by xnotorious

Yes. Again, you can do anything to change your sound. You'll notice that if you play with the pick parallel, it will sound cleanier. If you hold it at a certain angle, it will give a more "chuggier" sound, which can be cool for some alternate picking riffs.

I'd suggest getting confortable playing with the pick parallel tho, as it is the cleanest way to do it. After that, changing the angle isn't all that hard.

Quote by xnotorious

If you play a lot, the strings will probably wear out faster than your picks. Personnally, I very rarely change my pick. I only do so when I lose the one I play with. But again, I play with thick picks, which might explain why they won't "die".

Speaking of picks, I suggest you get yourself a few different picks, with various sizes. This will make you figure out the difference in sound and technique.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 11, 2010,