i just bought a new mesa boogie triple rectifier, it is my first half stack amp. do I need to bias it or not until I put in new tubes? feel free to tell me anything I should know about these amps also
Call me Jack
Mesas don't come with an adjustable bias pot so no. And every Mesa branded tube should bias right without need for adjustment. You just need to get the bias mod done if you want to mess around with out of spec power tubes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
need to bias from factory?

no

can it be beneficial to your perceived tone?

maybe

i hear mesa's are usually quite cold biased from the factory. heating up the power section might unlock a new palette of tones, annoy you with noise, or make no difference to you depending on your needs and uses.

also an amp's biasing may 'drift' after being set at the factory, regular rebiasing is recommended by many experts; but the only people following that advice are on tour with an amp tech to do it for them anyway (they also always play with fresh strings and picks ALL the time too)

i know many people who immediately take their fender or mesa and rebias it hot for their purposes, but some people don't like it
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by mmolteratx
Mesas don't come with an adjustable bias pot so no. And every Mesa branded tube should bias right without need for adjustment. You just need to get the bias mod done if you want to mess around with out of spec power tubes.

that is right, mesa has those tubes you need to order. and to bias a mesa you need that mod too, the kinda like the one grisky had...
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious

also an amp's biasing may 'drift' after being set at the factory, regular rebiasing is recommended by many experts; but the only people following that advice are on tour with an amp tech to do it for them anyway (they also always play with fresh strings and picks ALL the time too)

i know many people who immediately take their fender or mesa and rebias it hot for their purposes, but some people don't like it

This post is full of truth. Apart from 'they always play with fresh strings ' bit Tom Waits always plays with old strings.
You don't have to and in your case you can't change it but it's something I would ALWAYS check. You never know, your amp could have been built on a Friday afternoon - or Monday morning. Better to be safe than sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification