Ok so I have the Zakk Wylde Overdrive and it's good for boosting an overdriven amp but a little harsh on a clean channel. But I want an overdrive for blues on a clean channel and also be able to be used to boost an amp and sound good.

I was looking at tubescreamers and those seems great for blues sounds on a clean channel but I'm not sure how they work for a boost. Should I keep my pedal or go for something like a BBE Green Screamer?
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
No, don't, if you want a nice sounding overdrive, save up for the Fulltone Mosfet 2, best overdrive pedal I've heard, and it has a boost on the pedal to bring it into distortion territory.

There are a few others that are good, I'll let the other guys recommend some, but the tubescreamers don't sound all that great by themselves.
Quote by ethan_hanus
No, don't, if you want a nice sounding overdrive, save up for the Fulltone Mosfet 2, best overdrive pedal I've heard, and it has a boost on the pedal to bring it into distortion territory.

There are a few others that are good, I'll let the other guys recommend some, but the tubescreamers don't sound all that great by themselves.

I don't really want that much gain to go into the distortion channel, just something to give my amp a little more gain and punch. The BBE was just an example I know a couple of better pedals but I also don't want to spend too much
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
The Tubescreamer is the same as the ZW44 with symmetrical clipping so it's a bit smoother and more compressed. Either one works great as a boost, I prefer the Tubescreamer for a stand alone OD but I only like it with single coils.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
The Tubescreamer is the same as the ZW44 with symmetrical clipping so it's a bit smoother and more compressed. Either one works great as a boost, I prefer the Tubescreamer for a stand alone OD but I only like it with single coils.

I was looking for a smoother tone so that's good but doesn't it not sound great with humbuckers or something?
Guitars
Amps
Pedals
As a boost it sounds fine with anything. I just think it's too nasally with humbuckers on its own.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ethan_hanus

i was never impressed by the fulldrive 2. i prefer the OCD to the fulldrive 2. the fulldrive doesn't have enough overdrive for more extreme applications, and the to me the boost didn't seem too usable. it only will function if the OD is on, and you can't get enough OD unless the output is ungodly high and won't mesh with your clean channel.

i would recommend the OCD over the fulldrive 2.

back to the origional topic that the origional poster was talking about.

a tubescreamer type thing is what you are looking for. if going for a tubescreamer, the BBE green screamer is a great choice. it is a little warmer than most other tubescreamer, and it is by far the best features for the price. i think i paid $60 for mine brand new. if you were to get a comparable ibanez model with true bypass, that would be closer to $100. also i have heard that the TS7 is a decent low budget option from what some say it is the same chip as the maxon 808, but i dont own either.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/