as of now i am pleased with my melody making and i am focusing on chords(extensions, voices, harmony (in depth), W/E i don't know) but when i sit down with my guitar i am not sure where to really start (like how to get an effective self lesson/drill to get me exploring; to see how i want to apply it to my playing). Recently i've been playing along with backing tracks and am trying to outline my practice sessions similar to them. So far heres my only ideas:
1.) Record a simple chord progression and then play/add harmony to it (like on a Fmaj chord add a 7 9 or 11, w/e).
2.) Just record me playing a rhythm of one chord and then taking that chord and extending it... (not sure how to do this, this is just what some1else told me but they didn't explain.)
3.) i feel like i should have a 3 but yea.....

then after i have a nice understanding on what extensions/voices i like and where i like them.. i will make nice quality backing tracks that i can arpeggio over and later go back to applying lead to it..
i hope you have a good understanding of what i am asking, if not just tell me and i'll try to word it different. Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

- if you feel the need to say learn by learning songs that use chord extensions please list the songs that make good use of them, but mainly i am looking for ways that i can created my own (more advanced) progressions and run with these areas.
I'd say if you're going into more advanced progressions, make sure you have a very strong understanding of the theory behing chords, and chord progressions. I am actually trying to work this kind of stuff out as well, so other than that I can't really help you... sorry
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
- if you feel the need to say learn by learning songs that use chord extensions please list the songs that make good use of them, but mainly i am looking for ways that i can created my own (more advanced) progressions and run with these areas.

Well jass uses alot of complex chords and alot of chord progressions and going between alot of different scales,You should take some jazz songs and analyse them I do that sometimes and helps you realize how they did it and how did they make it sound good,it gives you some ideas for yourself.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
i've been watching a lot of jazz videos on youtube trying to see what i like.. .

here are my troubles:
making/ finding drills to explore the different chord voicings and extensions.(i can't tell if i like the chord if i just hear it but if i hear it in a progression, i think it helps.) .. this guy kinda hits on what i mean.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZhGrXOjFBc (i just found it)
i like the D and A chord voicing climbing he does. i can't get anything that sounds that good together when i play different inversions of a chord.

and i can't make any progressions i like using extended chords- i follow the rules of the key im in (94%sure).... i would like to know what all i can get out of one chord before i go back to practicing more lead and just find myself stuck when trying to apply all of this to my playing..
thanks 4 the input sofar tho. keep it coming .
I just picked up a BOSS-RC20XL used on Ebay for $200. This pedal has changed the game for me and opened up limitless possibilities for practicing.

It's the perfect metronome. You can (without hassle) record any progression you want to play over, and set the tempo with a simple MIDI-like drum beat (just a kick and symbol I think).

It's also really good for creative thinking where you might want to write a song with a melody using two guitars.

I can't say enough about this pedal.
i haven't bought any pedals yet i would love to have a good looper and maybe an octave pedal... right now i am using the line 6 pod 1- it does what i need it to do. its a portable amp and i can record up to 4 layers of guitar work, it also has a basic drummer program. (100$$ new)
-- and sites nick if you want any info on some theory i have a nice collection from the Internet .
Quote by elihu4321
i've been watching a lot of jazz videos on youtube trying to see what i like.. .

here are my troubles:
making/ finding drills to explore the different chord voicings and extensions.(i can't tell if i like the chord if i just hear it but if i hear it in a progression, i think it helps.) .. this guy kinda hits on what i mean.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZhGrXOjFBc (i just found it)
i like the D and A chord voicing climbing he does. i can't get anything that sounds that good together when i play different inversions of a chord.

and i can't make any progressions i like using extended chords- i follow the rules of the key im in (94%sure).... i would like to know what all i can get out of one chord before i go back to practicing more lead and just find myself stuck when trying to apply all of this to my playing..
thanks 4 the input sofar tho. keep it coming .

Well D and A are on the same scale and very common progression so it will probably sound good,You should just fool aorund with inversions until you get something you like,Take a scale and pick a couple of chords from it maybe do a 2-5-1 and see how that sounds.
Well my teacher shoed me that if you want to change the scale and tonal center you need a "solution" which is basiclly a chord which is 3 and a half steps below the Subdominant but for it to remain in key the root of the solution needs to be part of the first scale.
I dont know if any of this is relevant but it sure helped me.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Well D and A are on the same scale and very common progression so it will probably sound good,You should just fool aorund with inversions until you get something you like,Take a scale and pick a couple of chords from it maybe do a 2-5-1 and see how that sounds.
Well my teacher shoed me that if you want to change the scale and tonal center you need a "solution" which is basiclly a chord which is 3 and a half steps below the Subdominant but for it to remain in key the root of the solution needs to be part of the first scale.
I dont know if any of this is relevant but it sure helped me.

well this is def. on the right track... i 've tried some progressions (not 2-5-1) and trial and error with the inversions....
i could take that 2-5-1 pro. (say its Bmin, Dmaj, and Amaj) and then fool with the inversion pattern for each chord and keep recording and see what i like .... but thats kinda what i've been doing, and find difficult when i try to do this with chord extensions (just don't sound good, i can't find a combination that flows well)
"St. Patrick's Day" by John Mayer. One of the most complex songs in terms of chords I've ever seen. I have the official tab book and there are around 32 chords in this song. Hard chords, too. If you want to practice that, it'd help you a lot. I can get you the chords and fingerings, just let me know.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by elihu4321
well this is def. on the right track... i 've tried some progressions (not 2-5-1) and trial and error with the inversions....
i could take that 2-5-1 pro. (say its Bmin, Dmaj, and Amaj) and then fool with the inversion pattern for each chord and keep recording and see what i like .... but thats kinda what i've been doing, and find difficult when i try to do this with chord extensions (just don't sound good, i can't find a combination that flows well)

You should try some m7,m7b5,7,Maj7 they usually sound good together.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson