Hey guys, i just recently got my les paul about a month and a half ago. its epiphone of course because my budget is tight. anyway i have an intonation problem. its the g string, i tune it correctly and check the octave and its flat. so i adjust the saddle, and nothing changes. it sucks because i use this string a lot. all of the other strings are fine, its just this one. and its HORRIBLE. its obvious that its off by a lot. so im asking you guys how do i fix this?
check the 12th fretted note against the natural harmonic at the 12th fret, not open against 12th fretted.
which is the harmonic or the fretted note

if the fretted is lower than the harmonic, move the saddle towards the nut
if the fretted is higer than the harmonic move the saddle towards the bridge

small movements make bridge changes and the tuning will go out so make sure you tune accuratly between checks and movements
Is the action set too high?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
^

you need to have the string in tune to check the intonation, then check but it sounds like you need to move the saddle toward the bridge (i know that sounds weird `cos the the saddle is on the bridge but for directional simplicity...)
i know this sounds wierd but if u cant get it try turning it around and try again i did and mines pretty much fine now
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
How old are these strings you're using? You can't intonate with strings that are a month old, They don't hold tuning well enough. You can't intonate with strings that are brand new, either. They need to break in for at least a day.

Edit: Also, Don't rest your hand on the headstock while comparing the notes because this can cause a guitar to appear out of tune.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
check the 12th fretted note against the natural harmonic at the 12th fret, not open against 12th fretted.

Not the correct method there. The method you stated divides the string in half yes but it is a perfectly straight string. Whne you finger notes the string deflects and the length changes. Open against the 12th fretted compensates for string deflection and is recommended by many experienced luthiers and techs (c/o Guitar Player repair Guide by D Erlewine).
Moving on.....
^the method i stated is the method i`ve always used (23 years)and the same method that is in the ibanez prestige manual(page 8). i`ve never had any problems...there is always several solutions to the same problem just use the one that gives the best result.
Quote by KenG
Not the correct method there. The method you stated divides the string in half yes but it is a perfectly straight string. Whne you finger notes the string deflects and the length changes. Open against the 12th fretted compensates for string deflection and is recommended by many experienced luthiers and techs (c/o Guitar Player repair Guide by D Erlewine).

This is the method I use.
Quote by KenG
Not the correct method there. The method you stated divides the string in half yes but it is a perfectly straight string. When you finger notes the string deflects and the length changes. Open against the 12th fretted note compensates for string deflection and is recommended by many experienced luthiers and techs (c/o Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine).

+100. Dan Erlewine doesn't talk hot air.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
sorry i couldn't reply earlier, but no the action isn't too high or low. and as for my strings they are relatively new i got them about a month and a half ago. well moving it toward the bridge seems to help it so thank you guys for all your help