Hey

So ages ago I posted about needing help with recording, and I learnt a lot, I got a POD X3 Live, and I use direct in with a DAW

However i'm having extreme problems making the recordings sound decent in any shape or form, particularly with the lower end of my guitarb.

The recording can be found here :
("Song Test - With Direct In")
(The recording was the first attempt, because I noticed how bassy and weird it was I stopped)

Is there anyway I can get it to sound.. 'Tighter' ? If that makes sense

The current linked song has hard pan left, hard pan right, and rhythm down the middle, very noisy when combined and adding more tracks will be impossible!

All and any help would be great!
Thanks!
Last edited by zezikaro at Jul 11, 2010,
i guess im failing to see what the issue is, the guitars sound fine for what they are. i think you're assuming they should have a more finished and mastered sound when right now in the recording stage, they shouldn't.

theres a couple things you can do to make your guitars tighter in the recording end. double, triple or quadruple track each channel with less gain and use a bit harder attack on the strings. this will bring out the chugga chugga without it being too bassy or muddy. also maybe try using a clean guitar buried under everything else.

first thing i recommend trying though is simply turning down the bass on the guitars. guitars shouldn't be bassy, thats for the bass to cover.
in the end a large part of what makes guitars sound really tight is a combination of good recording with lower gain and good band compression in the mastering stage. but leave that for later.

why is using more tracks impossible?

also the more i listen to it the more it seems a bit out of sync here and there, i also suggest getting rid of the reverb on the guitar, if you want to add reverb do that in the end to all the guitar tracks evenly (im preferable of putting it in the master channel though before the final eq)
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by z4twenny
theres a couple things you can do to make your guitars tighter in the recording end. double, triple or quadruple track each channel with less gain and use a bit harder attack on the strings. this will bring out the chugga chugga without it being too bassy or muddy. also maybe try using a clean guitar buried under everything else.

Attacking harder causes the strings to .. 'Flop', a lot! In the recording I had to play lighter than I normally do, oddly

Quote by z4twenny

first thing i recommend trying though is simply turning down the bass on the guitars. guitars shouldn't be bassy, thats for the bass to cover.
in the end a large part of what makes guitars sound really tight is a combination of good recording with lower gain and good band compression in the mastering stage. but leave that for later.

On my Pod X3 Live my bass is at 13% =[

Quote by z4twenny
why is using more tracks impossible?

Already it's sounding very messy, But I think that will be dealt with due to your last comment you made, about the reverb

Quote by z4twenny

also the more i listen to it the more it seems a bit out of sync here and there, i also suggest getting rid of the reverb on the guitar, if you want to add reverb do that in the end to all the guitar tracks evenly (im preferable of putting it in the master channel though before the final eq)

That is a brilliant idea!

It was out of sync because it was the first time recording it, just to see what it would sound like matched up

Thanks for the comment, gonna make some big changes for the next time I record then, thanks
if your strings flop then you probably want to get your guitar setup. a good heavy guitar tone comes from (imo) being able to get a good hit on the strings, you don't have to beat them to death but you do need to be able to get a good hit on it. im not sure about the specifics of the pod. i can tell you what i'd doin that situation.

step 1 - get guitar setup so strings don't flop
step 2 - run guitar tone into DAW and use an analyzer to view the frequency spectrum as you adjust it.
step 3 - use much much much less gain and double track each guitar (for me that would be quad tracking the left and right channels) the tone and signal come through much clearer and tighter in the end

final note - im not sure about your mixing space but the guitar tracks really didn't sound bad, i think maybe you're using questionable speakers or mixing space thats coloring the sound to be bassier than it actually is. theres still a little low end in the guitars but i think in the end if you just remove the reverb and turn down the gain you probably won't need to do all the other stuff i listed (though it can't hurt) part of what makes a guitar punchy and tight is simply having a tight recording with a well mixed bass. if you're really worried about the bass on the guitar though you can always run a hi pass filter eq and cut off everything below 100-200 hz (where it gets thin sounding varies by guitar, just use your ears)
In my opinion they're not half bad sounding at all. You don't want your guitars to sound "full" by themselves, because that just results in mud when you bring in drums and bass. You hardly want any of the really low frequencies in there at all (I'd usually cut off everything completely below 150hz or thereabouts).

You'd probably find if you were to use those recordings in a mix with some bass and drums, it would sound fine.
Quote by z4twenny
i think you're assuming they should have a more finished and mastered sound when right now in the recording stage, they shouldn't.

Your goal when recording should always be to get the best sound at the source, "fixing it in the mix" is more of a myth than anything. If you mean the guitars will sound different in the context of a mix with other instruments, than you're right.

Keep in mind that the bass track plays an often overlooked role in the guitar sound.
^ reread what i stated, you're taking it way way way out of context. i said he's expecting it to have a mastered sound when right now in the recording stage it won't because its not mastered yet.

im in agreeance with ziphoblat. im guessing though the TS has fixed his issues.