Hey guys,

I'm looking to sell my Epiphone G-400 Custom Limited Edition Alpine White w/ Maestro Tremolo, so I took it to a guitar shop yesterday to get it set up for the potential buyers so it'll be in perfect condition. I got this guitar off of music123.com for $550 a few years back, maybe in 2006 or 2007. Anyways, I told the guy I was selling it because I needed money for an ESP Eclipse II, and he told me I wouldn't be able to get any money from it, because it was fake. He said he could prove it, something about on the little bolt thing on the input jack, there would be small writing saying Epiphone, but on mine it was missing. Is there any truth to this? I don't see any writing, but after years of humidity abuse, the hardware is pretty blemished, I haven't taken a really close look.

Are there any other ways to tell whether my Epiphone is real or fake?
Right, I didn't think they would either. Except that this shop I took my Epi to just happens to be an official Gibson store.
The back of the headstock should have a serial number on it. Judging that it's a G400, the neck isn't bolt on, which is even more proof. Hope this helps.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Yea, it has all that, everything is where it should be. Meh, it looks and sounds exactly like an Epi, it's served me well. I just don't want to get a complaint after I sell it that I advertised falsely as a real Epi if it turns out to be fake.
Never heard of that writing on the input jack. Seems like a silly thing to do.

What I have heard of is music shops saying little quips like this to get you to trade in for little, so they can jack the price up and re-sell it....
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I never heard of that either and I work at a consignment shop.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
ive had a couple of epis and i still have 1, and what uve been told is bullshit my friend!! its sounds to me like somebody is trying to rip u off!

some people eh
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Well I know this sounds stupid, but is there any chance that the input jack was replaced or something?
also go onto the gibson website and there should still be a section on how to date your guitar. check that with ure serial code and see if it all matches up!! just an idea......
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Quote by iamflipbaby
also go onto the gibson website and there should still be a section on how to date your guitar. check that with your serial code and see if it all matches up!! just an idea......

I tried that once....it was more of a headache than it was worth.

Just go to guitardaterproject.org and run the serial number there. It's much easier and accurate.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
lmao someone is trying to rip you off

why do so many people think so many guitars are fake now a days there not pokemon cards lol
lmfao
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Quote by needler420
lmao someone is trying to rip you off

why do so many people think so many guitars are fake now a days there not pokemon cards lol

There are a shitload of fake chinese copies out there just so you know. I'm not talking lawsuit era, I'm talking cheap ass ripoffs.

TS, I suggest you post some pictures of your guitar here. Mainly a whole body shot, a shot of the headstock and a shot of the back of the headstock. There are plenty of people here who'll be able to tell you if it's fake or not.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
I got a Epi' Special II and the only place where there's 'Epiphone' is on the headstock and on the serial plate.
same on the standard too. except no neck plate coz its set neck
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Writing on the (output!!) jack? BrokenDString is right- that guy was trying to con you and you should have thrown an insult in his lying, profit-maximizing weasel face. "Official Gibson store" means nothing, clerks are often clueless of the wares the store deals in.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Writing on the (output!!) jack? BrokenDString is right- that guy was trying to con you and you should have thrown an insult in his lying, profit-maximizing weasel face. "Official Gibson store" means nothing, clerks are often clueless of the wares the store deals in.

Agreed. I visited one "Authorized Gibson Dealer" store during my guitar search and the supposedly knowledgeable clerk was more than a little confused about the trems "weight relieved" & "chambered" and which models the terms applied to as well. Do your own research first so you're ready to assess whether the clerk knows their sh*t or not.
Moving on.....
Not all epis get the official epi hardware. My cheap LP100 has a bridge with epiphone molded into the stop piece and the bridge and I'm pretty sure it did have epi etched into the jack even the switch. But my more expensive standard model none of the hardware said epi. So its not some sort of dead give away. Besides the selector switch and jacks going out is really common so many are going to use an after market replacement. And there is the fact you bought it from a proper distributor.

Sounds like just some idiot at a music store saying crap he really has no clue about.