i don't think my guitar has grounding because while plugged in it makes this weird hissing noise that doesnt even stop when i touch the strings, it only stops if i keep my hand on a electrical device such as my zoom g2's metal button things
is this something easy to fix?
unless the noise gate is on yes its there all the time, its a low entry bc rich model, with a tune-o-matic bridge
It should be grounded already. If its not it's going to be a massive pain to add a ground.
Have a look in the control cavity, there should be a wire from the back of the volume pot going to roughly where the bridge posts are.
i checked the control cavity, there are 3 cables leaving it, a red one, a blue one and a black one, the black one is not connected to anything, thats strange...
remove the effects unit from the signal chain and go direct to the amp, if the sound is no longer there then it must be the fx unit.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
remove the effects unit from the signal chain and go direct to the amp, if the sound is no longer there then it must be the fx unit.

its not the fx unit, my other guitar doesnt have any noise at all
i tried touching the tone knob with the cable that wasnt connected to anything and it worked!
i'm not going to solder it or anything since i will take my guitar to the shop to install new pickups on it, i think they will notice the cable and solder it properly themselves
You should tell them. Don't just expect them to "notice" it and fix it. Pickups can be wired a thousand different ways, and it's not uncommon for a wire to not be soldered to anything.

Anyway, out of curiosity, what amp do you have, and what pickups are you getting put in?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You should tell them. Don't just expect them to "notice" it and fix it. Pickups can be wired a thousand different ways, and it's not uncommon for a wire to not be soldered to anything.

Anyway, out of curiosity, what amp do you have, and what pickups are you getting put in?

i don't use an amp since i'm not into that making a band thing why would i need a huge box just taking up space? i play fx unit straight to headphones. I had amplifiers in the past but i stopped using them a while ago.
I want to get sd sh-4 and sh-2
Well... I didn't know that amps were only for that "making a band thing"...

That's cool though, if you know what you want to do.

I was just trying to make sure you weren't throwing your money away.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You know, the usual.

Someone has a Spider or some other modeling amp, and they want to be all brootal so they want to get EMG's... the usual stories we get on UG.

I'm not implying that you're a beginner like that, but seeing as you joined this year, that's all I have to go off of.

But since you're not (I assume?), then it's not a big deal.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You know, the usual.

Someone has a Spider or some other modeling amp, and they want to be all brootal so they want to get EMG's... the usual stories we get on UG.

I'm not implying that you're a beginner like that, but seeing as you joined this year, that's all I have to go off of.

But since you're not (I assume?), then it's not a big deal.

well no, i don't believe that pickups magically change your tone making you sound like a metal master by placing moderately good pickups in cheap ass guitars using cheap ass amps
i made my perfect tone using the g2 and i just want something that wont sound so raw as the stock pickups on this guitar (i never changed pickups on any guitar i owned but my old one had emg-hz in stock and it sounds much better than this so i figured if i could make this guitar sound equally good if not better than my old one then its worth the money)
*shrug*

I think that active EMG's are very capable of magically changing your tone. They won't make you play any better, but they definitely can change your tone dramatically.

That's not the point I was trying to make. EMG's work amazingly, if you have an amp that will let them.

Most people who ask about them or want to put them in their guitars have cheap modeling amps that are basically the very last thing you want to play them through, so we try to stop them from doing that, and we try to teach them why they shouldn't do that, and how to go about getting the tones they want.

But that's not the case at all with you, so again, it's negligible.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thanks for the concern but as i said i already have my perfect tone :P
now back to the topic, do you think that that cable that is loose in there should be connected to the tone knob? its the only thing it can touch and it seams logical,
3 cables leaving the control cavity,
obviously
1. neck pickup
2. bridge pickup
3. grounding wire (?) which isn't connected to anything
It will be really helpful if you can post a picture of your control cavity, to help us get a better understanding of what's going on in there.

But your ground should always be connected to your bridge. If the black wire is coming from where your bridge is, then that's most likely your ground wire.

It's a bit strange that it's black though. I've never heard of a ground wire that wasn't unshielded.

In any case, if it is the ground, you should connect it to your volume pot. Connect it to the actual pot, not the connectors.

Wait for someone else to confirm this before you do though, just in case.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i just opened up my floyd rose guitar to check there and it seams that that also has a black cable leaving the tremolo and ending up connected to the volume knob
looks pretty much the same
oh and by the way is there any difference if its connected to the tone or volume knob?
You should connect it to the volume. I've never heard of connecting it to the tone - every wiring schematic I've ever seen says to connect it to the volume.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
thing is the cable is tied up all the way to the tone knob, there is no way that this cable was ever connected to the volume knob
it was either never soldered in place or who knows
thanks, i will probably tell the guitar shop guys once i get the money for new pickups
It's possible that it was just never soldered - it is a low end BC Rich. it's not uncommon for cheap guitars like that to have some faulty wiring now and then.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X