Hey guys!

I've always wanted to build a guitar, but I've never had the time. Or the woods.
I've always heard these special tonewoods always used in guitar building (alder, mahogany, cedar, ash, maple), but the thing is, I can never find any!

So eventually I just decided to forget about using certain woods and just started based on the woods I could find. Me and my dad stuck several poles of wood together to make an 8 piece body wood. I cut a bit, and the project was left untouched for a good few months.

But I've started again! Today, my dad and I finished cutting out the shape (by hand D: )...Unfortunately I have no idea what type of wood it is (the label had some weird Japanese name that I couldn't find on Google). My dad says it's probably pine. Any ideas?

Comparison shot with obligatory foot.

This is what caused me to restart the project (Great designer, the link is there if anyone wants to use it)

I just have a few questions.
1) Is it a good idea to try a carved top since it's my first build (I'd try to do it slowly)?
2) The final thing would have P90s. What's a good place to get decent vintage style P90s without breaking the bank? (I know GFS).
3) Does anyone know anywhere where you can get wood in Japan?

Cheers!
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Last edited by AntiG3 at Jul 11, 2010,
Dont half ass it and use ****** wood, for a first time builer i suggest get a gfs les paul kit.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
Dont half ass it and use ****** wood, for a first time builer i suggest get a gfs les paul kit.
Yeah but that's no fun
Kits seem like a deal of just finishing, and assembling.

Also if it is pine, it can't be too bad - it's used in several guitars, especially in teles.

Quote by ChucklesMginty

Thanks, I'll take a look at that
Last edited by AntiG3 at Jul 11, 2010,
Tonewood is a little overrated. I love my steel guitar, it has a nice badass factor. Also my 2x12 guitar rocked for a bit (I think that's fir?) until the headstock started pulling up, I need to get a block of maple or something as dense as me (har har) to put on there so It's not so floppy. The biggest tone factor imo is amp and guitar wiring (as in, parallel, out of phase, etc, not 12 gauge vs 18 gauge wire or whatever).
Quote by AntiG3
Yeah but that's no fun
Kits seem like a deal of just finishing, and assembling.

Also if it is pine, it can't be too bad - it's used in several guitars, especially in teles.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that

It's much more than that especially that kit, hey, your money man.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
srsly get over it. if he wants to build a guitar let him do it with whatever he wants.

pine will be ok for a first build
maybe after this one you should get a piece of mahogany or cedar or something shipped to you (several websites will ship body blanks)

that lespaul is gorgeous, i love the natural looking ones.

i think you should give it a really dark stain, and then use a really light coloured veneer for the pickguard. what're you doing for the neck/hardware?
Quote by Doonan
i think you should give it a really dark stain, and then use a really light coloured veneer for the pickguard. what're you doing for the neck/hardware?
Hmm maybe. If the wood I get can't get the likeliness of that design then maybe.

Hardware-wise, it's gonna be a standard Les Paul, with P90s. Depending on what money I have left over (I'm also building a Twin Reverb blackface copy and attempting to wind some Jazzmaster pickups), it might be anything from a proper Tune-O-Matic, to something like GFS. Is it any decent quality? The neck will probably be made of something more sturdier if I can find it.

Also I'm not sure about import/export laws but I'm going to Sweden on thursday, so maybe I can get some maple there
Last edited by AntiG3 at Jul 13, 2010,