Hey guys I'm new here, and so I've bin saving up money for a couple of months and plan on buying a new guitar. I currently have a B.C.Rich ASM 1, a practice guitar, and I think its about time I moved on from it.

I currently only have that B.C.Rich ASM 1 and a Vox Pathfinder10.

So as I said, I'm thinking of buying a new amp as well as a guitar that would work well with it. Or the other way around.

Anyways, as the title says, the nearest dealer at our place has a Jackson Stars RR-TN02 for sale for a while now and no one has bought it yet. I wanna know if its worth picking up, or should I save up some more for a better one.

Specs are as follows :

Construction : Neck Through
Body : Alder
Fretboard : Ebony
Pickups : Seymour Duncan SH-1n / TB- 4
Bridge : FRT-O-3000
Color : White with Black Pinstripes w/ Gold Hardware

I mainly play power metal, along with some classic rock and a bit of jazz (not planning to use this for jazz tho).

Its for sale at 99,000 yen. Converted to 1,116 USD.

Thoughts? If you want to suggest another guitar, feel free, but I specifically want a V shaped guitar with a Floyd or any Floating Trem.

Suggest me an Amp as well if you guys can. But not one of those 50/100V watt amps, just a bedroom / practice amp if you will.

Thanks.
Last edited by Syriel at Jul 11, 2010,
Get that Jackson Star !!

Also you might like a Peavey Bandit 112 or a Valveking
Anyone else?

And arent Valvekings 50 / 100w? Like I said I want a practice / bedroom amp. XD
Quote by Syriel
Anyone else?

You might aswell try a Peavey Vypyr 30.....

dont get a line6 Spider!!!
Quote by Syriel
Anyone else?

Yeah I will be too loud for your bedroom, you could check out the Vypyrs, and some other cheaper tube amps meant for bedroom practices, but a Valveking will certainly be too much power for your bedroom

EDIT: Considering the specs of that Jackson Stars guitar, I certainly does sound like it is worth picking up, it would be even better to try it before you buy it, you never know..
Last edited by metalgirl0 at Jul 11, 2010,
i disagree that the valveking would be too loud for bedroom. By that I mean that if you're willing to rely on preamp gain, it'll be fine. and most metal relies more or less on preamp gain. so...

those 5 watters will also be way too loud for bedroom playing, and more's the point won't be aimed at metal tones, at all. the valveking isn't amazingly aimed at metal either, though.

maybe consider bugera 6260/jet city jca50/peavey 6505 112 combo? (i haven't tried any of those, or the chinese-made 6505 i suggested, but they're aimed at higher gain stuff).

if you like the jackson stars, get one. I haven't tried them, but assuming they're of similar quality to the MIJ jacksons I have tried (and judging by the spec it should be similar in quality to the sl3 i tried), it should be a nice guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the amp suggestions. I appreciate it. =)

So I tried the Jackson Stars out awhile ago, played it through a VOX Pathfinder 10 (same as what I have right now), as well as through a Marshall MG15 Mini Stack at the store. So far I how it sounds, and I love how the neck is pretty thin ( I have pretty small fingers). I loved how it sounded through the VOX.

So like I said I may pick up an amp as well, but thats after I get my next paycheck I think. What do you guys think about the MG15FX Mini Stack btw? I've seen mixed reviews about it here at the UG review section, as well as at Youtube. So I'm not sure about it. It sounded pretty good, but thats me and I havent really listened to alot of amps. Thoughts?

Oh and so if Dave_Mc says that 100w / 50w aren't really that loud ( I guess I just have to play at a low volume? ) How about the Bugera 333XL? Whats the difference with a 6260? Bugeras are pretty cheap and available here so I'm wondering if those are good choice. I noticed that Peaveys are kinda rare here so I wanna avoid those... I'll check out the Jet City if I can find one as well. I want more thoughts about amps if you guys are willing to share your knowledge.

Oh and is there a notable difference between a Schaller made OFR and the FRT-O-X000? Other than its "korea?" made? Is it reliable? Does it keep your strings in tune as well as or almost as well as the Schaller made? And are they interchangeable with the Schaller made?

Thanks again.
Last edited by Syriel at Jul 12, 2010,
avoid marshall mgs. they're rubbish.

Oh, it's not that 50 or 100 watts isn't loud, it's EXTREMELY loud. Just those amps have a master volume, and mainly rely on preamp gain, so as you said, you can just turn them down. they won't sound as good as if cranked up a bit, but should still sound decent (and it's not like you can really crank lower wattage tube amps in a home environment anyway, plus lower wattage tube amps tend to be aimed at lower gain tones). Obviously try them in the shop to make sure they can get down to as low a volume as you need (and remember that, as the shop will most likely be bigger than your bedroom, it'll sound quieter in the shop than it will at home).

as far as i'm aware, having never tried any bugeras, the 6260 is based on the peavey 6505/5150. the 6262 is based on the 5150 mark II/6505+, the 333 is based on the peavey xxx and the 333xl is based on the jsx. It's basically up to you, whichever tone you prefer. there was some talk about bugeras being unreliable a while back- from what i hear i think they fixed the problems, but it's worth bearing in mind.

i'm not sure about the OFRs. I'm a bit wary of the frt-x000s too, lol (though i still have gas for a jackson star kelly, lol). Someone posted this link a while back, I don't know if it's accurate but it's worth a look:

http://dellus.net/?tag=floyd-rose-tremolo

It would be worth asking floyd rose if they're interchangeable, perhaps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 12, 2010,
Thanks for the MG tip. XD

I'll guess I'll have to go around to try out the Bugeras. And it seems Jet Citys are available in Japan as well. I guess I have to dig around a bit as well to see which I would like more. =3 And how bout other Marshalls?

How can I find out if FRT-O-X000 and the Schallers are interchangeable? Email them directly?

Thanks Dave_Mc. Really appreciate it. =)
yeah, i'm guessing emailing them directly would be the best thing. they used to have routing diagrams of the schaller ones up on the floyd rose site, but the last time i checked the site was down. and that wouldn't help with routing diagrams for the korean one, anyway.

i'm not too sure about other marshalls, marshall has released a couple of new tube models (haze, MA) which i haven't been able to try yet. it really depends on your budget- i quite liked the jvm i tried (though i preferred its lower gain tones), but if you're looking at bugeras etc. it's going to be way over budget. and based on my experience with marshall, i'd be wary of the lower priced ones. Not saying not to try them if you can find them, obviously you should, but just bear in mind that as marshall is a pretty big name, it can get off with charging a premium for that name.

and you're welcome
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Syriel
Anyone else?

There was a user here, a while back, that said, "MY practice amp is a 6505. I don't do things small, except children."
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
I see Bugeras here at a price range I can manage so I'm definitely looking those up. Marshalls, I'll check out their pricey models but most likely will punch a hole in my pocket. XD I've seen some vids in youtube about the MA, and it sounds nice, but I guess you really cant rely on those vids cuz they will sound a bit different if you go and play them yourself.

I'll go around a bit more for the amps. But the Jackson, I guess I'll go ahead and pick it up this weekend after I play it a bit more.

Oh and I know this is a really newb question. Do you need a cab to play through a Head, or does the Head work pretty much like a normal amp?
Quote by Syriel
I see Bugeras here at a price range I can manage so I'm definitely looking those up. Marshalls, I'll check out their pricey models but most likely will punch a hole in my pocket. XD I've seen some vids in youtube about the MA, and it sounds nice, but I guess you really cant rely on those vids cuz they will sound a bit different if you go and play them yourself.

I'll go around a bit more for the amps. But the Jackson, I guess I'll go ahead and pick it up this weekend after I play it a bit more.

Oh and I know this is a really newb question. Do you need a cab to play through a Head, or does the Head work pretty much like a normal amp?

If you have to ask

You need a cab to play an amp head. If you turn on an amp head without a cab attached, you'll damage the head.

Quote by LoudLove5150
If you have to ask

You need a cab to play an amp head. If you turn on an amp head without a cab attached, you'll damage the head.

Thanks. I'm still a newb in the guitar world soo. I still have much to learn.
Quote by Syriel
Thanks. I'm still a newb in the guitar world soo. I still have much to learn.

*gets behind you* allow me to touch you :lol:

It'll be just like that one movie with the pottery scene

Quote by LoudLove5150
*gets behind you* allow me to touch you :lol:

It'll be just like that one movie with the pottery scene

uhhh. is this the part where i'm gonna have to say. "Please be gentle?"
Dont be silly wrap his willy! xD I love jacksons and I also love peaveys and bugeras. I think a 6262 bugera should suit your needs quite well.
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
yeah you need a separate speaker cabinet if you want a head.

also, if you can stretch to the price of the dearer tube marshalls, there are probably other options which might be worth considering too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Syriel
uhhh. is this the part where i'm gonna have to say. "Please be gentle?"

Gentle is overrated.

Gentle is a job not yet finished. The job's not done until you're incoherent and can't walk for a week.

NOOOOO.

Anyways back on topic. I didn't realize this before but I'm having double thoughts about the Jackson now seeing it only has 22 frets... O.O I play stuff once in a while that goes down to the 24th ( Its a really once in a while thing tho. )... Any thoughts about it? I'm willing to go up to 300,000 yen ( about 3,500 dollars ) for both the Guitar + Amp ( Head + Cab ). So I guess I can have like 120,000 yen budget for the guitar then 230,000 yen for the Amp or Head + Cab?

What are your thoughts about the Marshall JVM210C / JVM 205C? I saw once over there at the local shop. Haven't tried it tho. The price is like 120,000 I think, so around 140,000 dollars?

And how about the Alexi Laiho Sig Edwards? E-AL-166? The one with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. It has 24 frets and its about like just 20,000 yen more over the RR.

Thanks again all of you guys. I appreciate it. =3
most of the other jackson stars have 24 frets, unless you have your heart set on the RR shape.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I really feel comfortable with the Jackson Star RR now that I've played it so...

I'm just really having double thoughts about it with the 22 frets...

I guess I'll play that thing again when I go there and then decide.
yeah, i mean it's up to you. some people never use 24 frets, and some people do.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?