Hi UG, I plan on buying a Japanese made Les Paul for not more than Euro600

I saw many lawsuit Japanese brands that manufactured Les Pauls

Which were the most high quality and closs to the gibson specs?

Orville
Greco
Burny
Edwards ( a bit expensive)
Tokai

I looked into Orville and Greco Mint Series so far and i liked their quality
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Last edited by peterocker at Jul 11, 2010,
Orville was a brand managed by Gibson a while back so I would assume that the closest spec to an American LP would be the Orville.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Lefty
-Epiphone Les Paul Special II Lefty, name's Sonny =)
-Danelectro CM-1 Metal Pedal
-Danelectro CC-1 Chorus Pedal

I've been playing since Summer '09
why you would recommend tokai?
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by BabyWantABottle
I would reccommend tokai

+1

tokai are a good brand and look close to the real deal. ok not all models are gonna be gibson competitors but my tokai sg sounds sweet. and they are well priced too. you can get some really good ones too if u got the money
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Just be aware that some of the MIJ Companies also offer a lower end product as well that is either MIK or MIC! (Tokai for one example). A good MIJ will cost you almost as much as a Gibson and in some cases more.
Word is Edwards components are MIC but assembled in Japan. (Can't confirm this)
Moving on.....
^ +1 (though in europe MIJ is still normally a fair bit less than the equivalent gibson model).

check out the tokai registry forum and the japanaxe forum for more information. THere are a lot of MIJ guitar fans there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my tokai is MIK but it sounds great for 200 quid
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Tokai's Japanese LPs are very good. You're not gonna get a new one for 600€ though, but there's a chance you could find an used one.
i've seen richtone selling new plaintop MIJ Tokai LPs for around £600... that's about 700 euro, i guess (though i have no idea what postage to malta might be)? I mean, it's over budget, but only slightly. you might get lucky if you find a shop trying to get rid of new old stock or something.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the thing is that i will sell my epi les paul standard plus to get a Jap Les Paul close to a Gibby. if i dont get the higher quality ones it will be useless to sell my epi... and i dont know about tokai. they seem more epiphone to me

i've been looking at greco's mint collection series. are they any good?
http://global.ebay.com/Greco_EG59-50_Standard_LP_Guitar_Sunburst_MIJ_1989/220633184673/item

btw the older the guitar ther better. and nitro finish will be a nice option
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
tokai more like epiphone? LOL
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by peterocker
the thing is that i will sell my epi les paul standard plus to get a Jap Les Paul close to a Gibby. if i dont get the higher quality ones it will be useless to sell my epi... and i dont know about tokai. they seem more epiphone to me
i've been looking at greco's mint collection series. are they any good?
http://global.ebay.com/Greco_EG59-50_Standard_LP_Guitar_Sunburst_MIJ_1989/220633184673/item

btw the older the guitar ther better. and nitro finish will be a nice option

Tokai were quite well known as far back as the 70's. When Gibson was having a rough time making decent Les Pauls people found that Tokai was duplicating the '59 LP quite well.

EDIT: I see the Ebay poster says this Greco came from the Fugijen factory. That's were Epi Elitists were made as well. I'd be a little hesitant to buy used on Ebay from a foreign location. If you're not pleased with the guitar shipping it back (if allowed to begin with) will be costly. At least if you buy new you'll get some sort of warranty.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 11, 2010,
i'm a big fan of both burny and edwards. both are quality companies, and both have very convincing LP-style guitars. especially edwards
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Tokai Les Pauls... I played one and I couldn't tell the difference between a real Les Paul and the Tokai.
I guess availability will factor in too. For new, I think it's Edwards or Tokai as the others are no longer in production (??), for used it's Tokai, Orville, Burny, Greco, Elitists & maybe Edwards but they (Edwards) are fairly new to begin with so less chance of used I'd think.
Moving on.....
i still think u cant go too far wrong with the tokai's
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
you can still get burnies (though like tokai, a lot aren't MIJ now, so that's worth bearing in mind), i think greco still exists too (though whether they still make F+G copies, I'm not sure- they make those zemaitis guitars now).

Bacchus is another one which has a great reputation, I haven't tried them, though. I don't think they're making straight clones any more, though, though they do still have a singlecut which is pretty close to a LP. Again, some aren't MIJ so before buying you need to make sure you know what the model is.

I think elitists are just MIJ epiphones now, but i could be wrong. i think they're only for the japanese market, though.

I think edwardses come up fairly often used, too.

for most of them, availability and value will be the problem. The yen is extremely strong at the moment.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about epiphone elitists?

Get a 2nd hand one?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Personally, I've only played Edwards Les Pauls, out of the options. (Two different models that felt pretty much the same )

I'd say they have a really nice feel to them, I've heard that MIJ Tokais can be greater quality than Edwards LPs, but I've never tried one.
can you post some good models? maybe ebay or something just to see the actual product
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Unfortunately I never did any extensive research on the Edwards models I just played a couple.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/index.html

The LPs are in the second and third lists, Although the third list is a bit more pricey because of some "Lacquer Taste" feature. I don't know anything about it though so I couldn't say if it was worth the extra cost or not.

The price (in yen) in usually inflated, but considering shipping and import taxes they may be pretty close to what you actually end up paying.
Quote by Dave_Mc
... I think elitists are just MIJ epiphones now, but i could be wrong. i think they're only for the japanese market, though. ...
Epi Elitists are MIJ for the non-Japanese market. Epi Elite Series are MIJ for the Japan market only. Elites have the "correct" open book headstock ala Gibson, too.

And for the 452nd time:

yeah, i meant if you wanted pretty much the same thing as an epi elitist you could just get the japanese-market MIJ epis.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ippon
Epi Elitists are MIJ for the non-Japanese market. Epi Elite Series are MIJ for the Japan market only. Elites have the "correct" open book headstock ala Gibson, too.

And for the 452nd time:

Two different issues here.
Elite was the original name until Ovation raised a stink and Epi changed it to Elitist (04 I believe). Elites were sold everywhere and export models did not have the Gibson style headtsock.
The open book headstock was for sale in Japan only.
Moving on.....
Quote by Ippon

Quote by KenG
Two different issues here.
Elite was the original name until Ovation raised a stink and Epi changed it to Elitist (04 I believe). Elites were sold everywhere and export models did not have the Gibson style headtsock.
The open book headstock was for sale in Japan only.
Huh?

I thought that was what I said and the pic to go with it.