Hey.

I'm thinking of a killswitch, but I don't want to wear out my guitar's pickup switch or install a button. So I was wondering if you can get a device you put into the guitar's input that has a button to kill the signal for the killswitch effect. So I need to know if this exists and where I can get one if it does.

All help is appreciated greatly.
I know you can do it with a proper jack,
Morello does it a lot . But I dont know any way to do it only with the guitar
i dont think there is man, but one idea could be to maybe, build your own cable, and just after the input (guitar side) have the wire coming out to a button (push to break or whatever) and just stick it on your guitar while you play?
that way theres no changes to your guitar?
just my two cents lol
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by richyt93
i dont think there is man, but one idea could be to maybe, build your own cable, and just after the input (guitar side) have the wire coming out to a button (push to break or whatever) and just stick it on your guitar while you play?
that way theres no changes to your guitar?
just my two cents lol

Any online manuals about how to do something like this?
Planet Waves has a series of cables with a switch built in to cut the signal, you can even buy just the jack itself. They come straight or angled.
Quote by sstony
Planet Waves has a series of cables with a switch built in to cut the signal, you can even buy just the jack itself. They come straight or angled.

^ Pretty much what I was going to say.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
The Planet Waves cables seem good, but I'm worried I'd wear them out as their primary use doesn't seem to be as a killswitch.

And I'm not wanting to install anything or make any changes to the guitar itself.
I believe they have a life time warranty.
Alls you have to do is cut your old jack off and stick the cable in the planet waves and tighten the screw and you are done.
Quote by homeless-john
The Planet Waves cables seem good, but I'm worried I'd wear them out as their primary use doesn't seem to be as a killswitch.

And I'm not wanting to install anything or make any changes to the guitar itself.

The Waves cables don't switch fast enough to do the stacatto stuff Buckethead/Morello use them for.

If you're not going to want to make any changes I can safely say you can enjoy your lack of killswitch.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by sstony
I believe they have a life time warranty.
Alls you have to do is cut your old jack off and stick the cable in the planet waves and tighten the screw and you are done.

you need to get the cable from planet waves too, or you can just buy the entire instrument cable with them already fitted (which is what i use, brilliant cables), they cost about £25 for a 5m cable

http://store.daddario.com/category/146464/Circuit_Breaker_Series
Quote by Raijouta
The Waves cables don't switch fast enough to do the stacatto stuff Buckethead/Morello use them for.

If you're not going to want to make any changes I can safely say you can enjoy your lack of killswitch.

In this case I'm gonna troll the interwet until I find a way to do a DIY one.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
How about installing a Shadow Kill Pot?

That's exactly what I was about to recommend.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by homeless-john
Hey.

I'm thinking of a killswitch, but I don't want to wear out my guitar's pickup switch or install a button. So I was wondering if you can get a device you put into the guitar's input that has a button to kill the signal for the killswitch effect. So I need to know if this exists and where I can get one if it does.

All help is appreciated greatly.

As someone who studies German Idealism I'd say that no it doesn't really exist (philosophy nerds will get it)
You could always make a killswitch pedal and put it as the first thing in your chain of effects before your amp. You probably won't be able to operate it with your feet as fast as you could with your hands, but hey, it works.
in terms of killswitch pedal, can just use a tuner for this such as Boss TU2 mutes output, but cant do it fast Tom Morello Style.

I think its fair to say your not gonna be able to make a decent useable killswitch without modding your guitar.

what guitar you got?
Just make a footswitch with a non-clicking button on top.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Just make a footswitch with a non-clicking button on top.

The only problem with that is unless you are a drummer, Most people can't move their foot as fast as they can their right hand.

(just read that again)

But, Like I said before I'd recommend a Shadow Electronic's Kill-Pot.
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Benguitar2
The only problem with that is unless you are a drummer, Most people can't move their foot as fast as they can their right hand.

Even if you are a drummer you'd have to be sitting down to do it well.

Just install a Shadow Killpot, OP. Even if there was something like your original idea of connecting something to your input and putting it on your guitar, you'd probably have to wire it up anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta

Just install a Shadow Killpot, OP. Even if there was something like your original idea of connecting something to your input and putting it on your guitar, you'd probably have to wire it up anyway.

Good point-
Quote by bemiswins

Quote by Raijouta

Not necessarily. Its quite possible to play drums standing up - I've done it before.
Quote by Darkflame
but if you're a drummer, you can't understand how it works...

According to who? I play drums and I understand how killswitches work.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Not necessarily. Its quite possible to play drums standing up - I've done it before.

I don't mean play drums - you can do that - I meant manipulating the killswitch. To do like what Buckethead does with his (the rapid staccato effect) you'd either need to have crazy ankles or be sitting down.

OP, it would be much easier and better for your feet to just install something in your guitar. The Shadow Killpot doesn't require drilling or anything, you could stick it in place of your volume or tone knob and wire it up and it'd be a tone or volume + killswitch in one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
If you're referring to a "on-off" type of switch, it's very easy to do. You're pick-up switch is a "position" switch, as in it selects between a few signals.

Without going too much into electronic terms and all, you need an on-off switch. They are called single-pole single-throw(SPST),normaly-closed(NC). The normaly-closed part only means that when you don't touch the switch, it will act as a wire(like it's not even there).

Those switches are pretty simple to use, they only have 2 pins(1 input, 1 output). Modding a guitar with one is very easy electronically, but it's more work when it comes to the wood work. Such a switch only costs about 0.50$ too.

Depending on what you decide to do, I can help you with the wiring, as detailed as it needs. Just PM me if you need my help.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by Benguitar2

Thus why I said a non-latching switch.

You should be able to use that just as fast as a button on your guitar if you make the pedal angled or something, instead of a rectangle box.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com