Hello,

I've kinda decided to buy an RGA 121 H Prestige. I know it's bottom of the range Prestige, but it's all I can afford at the moment. Plus, I wanted a fixed bridge, and most of the cheaper Prestige guitars seem to have tremolo bridges, which I find annoying as I change tunings a lot.

I've also been considering the RG 1451 though. The thing that slightly put me off about that was the Basswood body. Whereas the RGA 121 has a mahogany body.

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has any experience with these guitars? Good or bad? What are the pickups like etc?

Cheers.
pickups always suck with Ibanez (if you are not going to buy a top range Prestige - they come with DiMarzios). Basswood sounds pretty much neutral while Mahagony sounds warm and has more low end.
the main difference aside from the materials (bare in mind that they are both using the high grade Basswood and Mahogany, is the bridge and pickups, neither of them have dimarzios and i`d sooner have the tight end bridge over the gibralta plus, therefore i`d go with the 1451, however as always you`ve gotta get yourself down to a ibanez dealer and play them both.
there is no problem with bottom of the line prestige. they are all same high quality guitar in terms of craftsmanship, building material. the pickups are what you should change if necessary.
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the main difference aside from the materials (bare in mind that they are both using the high grade Basswood and Mahogany, is the bridge and pickups, neither of them have dimarzios and i`d sooner have the tight end bridge over the gibralta plus, therefore i`d go with the 1451, however as always you`ve gotta get yourself down to a ibanez dealer and play them both.

+1 I too would get the tight end bridge over the gilbralta plus
Thanks guys. Just a couple of questions though.

What's wrong with the Gibraltar Plus bridge? Or is just the the tight end is really good? What makes the tight end better than the Gibraltar in your opinions?

I notice that Matt Bachand's (Shadows fall) prestige guitar has a Gibraltar plus bridge. Albeit, he's not the greatest guitarist. But his signature guitar is top end, and therefore, I would assume that bridge is pretty good. Also, I tend to play in D standard tuning, and use pretty heavy strings. I have heard that Gibraltar bridge copes well with heavier string gauges. Then again, I've heard nothing really about the tight end.

Cheers.
Quote by metalter
there is no problem with bottom of the line prestige. they are all same high quality guitar in terms of craftsmanship, building material. the pickups are what you should change if necessary.

+1

certainly in the case of the rga121, it has the mahogany body and maple top which the higher-end prestiges have. It's just the pickups which could do with a swap.

the rg1451 looks nice too, i haven't tried it though. just depends on whether you prefer basswood or mahogany/maple, and HH or HSH.

EDIT: the gibraltar bridge seemed pretty good to me. I haven't tried the tite-end, though. I don't think you'd go "wrong" with the gibraltar, in other words, if you have a definite preference for the rga121.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 11, 2010,