Hello everyone, I need a new amp, and I am thinking about getting a Jet City 20watt amp. Problem is, it only has one channel and if I get it I'll be needing some kind of distortion. So I was looking at pedals, and i came across both overdrive and distortion pedals. So, I'm wondering what the difference between the two is. I am completely open to any suggestions, and if it helps anyone, I play mostly classic and hard rock, punk rock, and a little bit of metal. Thanx in advance.
Quote by smmSTV
Hello everyone, I need a new amp, and I am thinking about getting a Jet City 20watt amp. Problem is, it only has one channel and if I get it I'll be needing some kind of distortion. So I was looking at pedals, and i came across both overdrive and distortion pedals. So, I'm wondering what the difference between the two is. I am completely open to any suggestions, and if it helps anyone, I play mostly classic and hard rock, punk rock, and a little bit of metal. Thanx in advance.

Those Jet City heads have quite a bit of gain on tap...you shouldn't need a distortion pedal to get an overdriven sound. Maybe a boost for your heavy metal tones.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Jul 11, 2010,
You understand that you can make the one channel that the amp has sound pretty damn distorted on its own yeah? Infact that's pretty much what that amp is designed to do. If you don't need to be able to switch from clean to dirty mid-song, then you don't need a pedal.

Also, if you wan't both a clean sound and a dirty sound, why not look at other amps?

As far as pedals go, overdrive pedals are supposed to simulate the sound of a tube amp being pushed into over drive (the amp you mentioned can do this anyway without a pedal). Distortion pedals are in general more high-gain and designed to be used for heavier music.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by SLonergan
Those Jet City heads have quite a bit of gain on tap...you shouldn't need a distortion pedal to get an overdriven sound. Maybe a boost for your heavy metal tones.

Well the thing is i was thinking of not turning it too high so I can keep a clean sound, And using a pedal for distortion, and just mic'ing it. Not too sure if that's a good idea tho...
Quote by smmSTV
Well the thing is i was thinking of not turning it too high so I can keep a clean sound, And using a pedal for distortion, and just mic'ing it. Not too sure if that's a good idea tho...

You want to get a tube amp that you're going to keep quiet at all times?

Doesn't really sound like a good idea to me...

Since you seem dead-set on having access to both a clean and distorted tone, I'd find a 2 channel amp...nothing beats a tube amps distortion. A pedal just can't beat it! IMHO of course.

Just to give you a little more information, I also have a single channel amp, but I don't use a distortion pedal. I keep my amp on a distorted setting, then roll back on the volume knob to get my clean tone. It works fairly well
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
You want to get a tube amp that you're going to keep quiet at all times?

Doesn't really sound like a good idea to me...

Since you seem dead-set on having access to both a clean and distorted tone, I'd find a 2 channel amp...nothing beats a tube amps distortion. A pedal just can't beat it! IMHO of course.

Just to give you a little more information, I also have a single channel amp, but I don't use a distortion pedal. I keep my amp on a distorted setting, then roll back on the volume knob to get my clean tone. It works fairly well

Well I know of a 50watt Jet City amp and i think it has 2 channels. Im not sure if a 50watt tube amp would be overkill tho.
Quote by SLonergan

A good way to go. That gives some pretty nice sounds, then you can have a nice range of tones actually.
go here it will show how much gain a jet city 20h will have just with a tube screamer i beleive

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336069&page=1&pp=20

listen to the clips, this things is amazing
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
lol i know its making me think about getting one. and its a jet city not a laney
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by travs2448
lol i know its making me think about getting one. and its a jet city not a laney

no hes saying he already has a laney, and had he known the jet city had that much gain, he would have gotten the jet city instead

simple fundamental misunderstanding
set up the amp with a not too heavy crunch. roll back guitar's volume control for cleans (if things muddy up consider adding a treble bleed capacitor to your volume pot). use a boost or overdrive for leads (or if you need heavier distortion for rhythm). You could even use a couple of boosts/ods if you want, if you need a couple of different levels of distortion.

e.g
1: amp with volume control rolled back on guitar -> clean (ish)
2: amp with guitar volume control up full -> rock crunch
3: as 2 but with added od/boost pedal -> hard rock/metal rhythm
4: as 3 but with another od/boost pedal on -> solos/lead

EDIT: alternatively you could just consider the 50 watter which has two channels. I haven't tried either, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by B.Renegades
no hes saying he already has a laney, and had he known the jet city had that much gain, he would have gotten the jet city instead

simple fundamental misunderstanding

ahh i see
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by Dave_Mc
set up the amp with a not too heavy crunch. roll back guitar's volume control for cleans (if things muddy up consider adding a treble bleed capacitor to your volume pot). use a boost or overdrive for leads (or if you need heavier distortion for rhythm). You could even use a couple of boosts/ods if you want, if you need a couple of different levels of distortion.

e.g
1: amp with volume control rolled back on guitar -> clean (ish)
2: amp with guitar volume control up full -> rock crunch
3: as 2 but with added od/boost pedal -> hard rock/metal rhythm
4: as 3 but with another od/boost pedal on -> solos/lead

EDIT: alternatively you could just consider the 50 watter which has two channels. I haven't tried either, by the way.

Ok well this seems like a good idea, and would an overdrive pedal be better for this than a distortion pedal?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This is generalizing a bit,

an overdrive has much less gain, and sounds more like true power amp distortion IMO. You'll generally use it to boost what distortion you already have, or step on it for solos. But you can use into a clean amp to get a nice bluesy/classic rock sound if you wish.

A distortion pedal generally runs into a clean amp, and is used as your main source of distortion. If you don't mind getting all your grit from a pedal, you can step on and off the distortion pedal as if you had a twin channel amp.

Boosting your amps drive is generally seen as more 'natural' way of doing things, as you don't lose the character of the amp. It's worth remembering you can always turn down your guitars volume for a clean sound if you're not using a ton of gain, it's also possible to use an EQ pedal to clean up your sound a bit.

Not necessarily - I've heard overdrives with tons of gain and distortions with not so much gain.

The main difference between an OD and a distortion pedal has something to do with the way the signal is clipped or where in the signal chain inside the pedal its clipped or something like that - I do know its something to do with clipping, though.
personally i've had a lot more luck with overdrive pedals over distortion, also i find better results with fuzz pedals over distortion. Take a look at fuzz pedals as well.

i love my ibanez ts9, i've been using a boss od-3 behind it for a small boost
Quote by smmSTV
Ok well this seems like a good idea, and would an overdrive pedal be better for this than a distortion pedal?

probably, but there are no hard and fast rules. i would probably want an od for the solo boost, anyway (they generally seem to have more sustain).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?