I was just reading the polytune thread and i noticed that more and more things are having this polyphonic capability nowadays which is like an advancement of musical gear within my lifetime already! (the pog for instance). This made me wonder about what we'll all look back on in say 20 or 30 years time and see as milestones.

In the 60s you had the advancement of amps and fuzz and distortion pedals coming about and the changes with electric guitar design and so on. What changes do you think are soon to come or have already happened that will be seen as important milestones in gear technology?
Moddeling amps are a milestone for sure. I guess all the digital stuff will be seen as milestones. It may not all be great yet, but there are so many more possibilities than with analog gear.
Fractal Audio Axe-FX as the first modeling preamp that's accepted as "just as good as the real deal". I don't consider POD's and V-Amps a milestone.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
Fractal Audio Axe-FX as the first modeling preamp that's accepted as "just as good as the real deal". I don't consider POD's and V-Amps a milestone.

While you might not, you have to see that technologically they provided the board for Axe FX to leap off of. The whole modelling thing is good but after a while, what are they going to model if all they make is modelling gear

I think stuff like the Line 6 Variax (sp?) guitars are quite a big one. Modelling guitar sounds rather than amps is very cool.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by basilbrush
Moddeling amps are a milestone for sure. I guess all the digital stuff will be seen as milestones. It may not all be great yet, but there are so many more possibilities than with analog gear.

+1

Modelling seems to be a phase at the moment, and it'll keep getting better and better and better until it hits that milestone.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I think MIDI pickups are one of the big milestones not mentioned yet. With them, the possibilities are vast, and although they're not widely used in popular music, I think they'll get more popular as people realise just what you can do with them, and as more options for using them come out.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
i think that noiseless single coil are a big milestone as well as coil tapping and pleck machine.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
br00tzls amps
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Skagasm
i think that noiseless single coil are a big milestone as well as coil tapping and pleck machine.

What is a pleck machine?

I think that coil taps have been around since the 70s, i'm sure i heard of jimmy page having something like that in his les paul, zappa definately used it on a strat he had modded in the 80s too.
Quote by Zoot Allures
What is a pleck machine?

the super accurate Plek Machine will set up the fret board [and frets i think] for optimal and playing adjustments. basically there are institutions around that have Plek Machines and you can send you guitar there for setup. they are renowned for removing minimal material on old guitars (say a pre-war martin) to help keep them stock while maintaining playability.

edit: btw, modeling/digital multi-effects will be a huge milestone in the future. even the heavily looked-down-upon Line 6, zoom 505, or rp-20ish digitech stuff pioneered affordable effects in a ingle box. future setups will be held to that affordable astandard but will be much better. they'll wonder how we ever afforded tons of amps and effects in the future.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by SimplyBen
While you might not, you have to see that technologically they provided the board for Axe FX to leap off of. The whole modelling thing is good but after a while, what are they going to model if all they make is modelling gear

I think stuff like the Line 6 Variax (sp?) guitars are quite a big one. Modelling guitar sounds rather than amps is very cool.

i have a variax, and i find that it sounds quite clinical and sterile. Not brilliant, especially through a particularly responsive tube amp which really shows up it's weak points.

I love using it through amp/stompbox modelling software like guitar rig though - combined with variax workbench, it gives me access to just about any tone imaginable, which is useful for recording.

I think line 6 will go down in history, though, for things like the POD.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
I think line 6 will go down in history, though, for things like the POD.

yeah, they'll be known for bringing it to the people, but companies like UA will be known for making it credible.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Coiltapping...

In my opinion that's the best one since stompboxes and solid-state amps.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by ibanezgod1973
we see a lot of acoustics with onboard tuners but i can`t think of one solid body with a onboard tuner......

Gibson Robot? tunes your guitar for you . . .
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
the solid body electric in general is a pretty new thing considering its only been less than 100 years we have had them.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Everything I wanted to say has been said already =(
digital modeling, mainly... polyphonic (tuners, octavers, harmonizers..)
MIDI in general is something that hasn't been around for THAT long and that's quite a milestone... you can think of a MIDI setup with a pedalboard and a rackmount, but there's also the midi keyboard, midi electronic drumkit, guitarpro and fruity loops...
EHX will be remembered for all of the crazy stuff they've put out (HOG, POG, Polyphase, Frequency Analyzer, ect) and the reasonable prices they're set at.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Actually, I've been thinking about this. I think the iPhone will be a great leap forward in portable quiet playing.

With stuff like Guitar Rig & Polytune apps it's kinda becoming really useful.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Actually, I've been thinking about this. I think the iPhone will be a great leap forward in portable quiet playing.

With stuff like Guitar Rig & Polytune apps it's kinda becoming really useful.

The vox amplug type things too will be seen as important. And maybe we're the first generation of guitarists to witness actually good software amp sims like guitar rig and amplitube.

edit: and i know it's a bump but i was gonna make a new thread and then i remembered i had this, so it's relevant , a thread doesn't go out of date if the question is relevant either. so there.
Quote by Rapter-paul
Gibson Robot? tunes your guitar for you . . .

What he meant is a guitar that has a tuner built in that you can use, not a guitar that tunes itself.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by Zoot Allures
What is a pleck machine?

Basically just a big electronic fret leveller/nut filer (I think they do nuts at least)
Quote by Zoot Allures
I'm pretty sure acoustic guitars have had them for a while >.>

Yeah, but if you read the original post he said on ELECTRIC guitars.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Gibson Robot for sure. Give it a decade or two, you won't be able to find a guitar that isn't a robot.

I'm not sure when modeling came out, but modeling in general for sure (I'm only 19).

Ibanez, IMO. They proved that you can make a bridge better than the OFR. Though it feels like not that many people really care about that one.

Line 6. They don't have anything really for me yet, but I have a huge amount of respect for Line 6. Unlike other companies, even though they make a lot of "dud" amps, at least they are out there trying shit. Trying to move the industry forward. Shit like the DT50 is crazy. Give them a few more years for them to get the DT50 right, and analogue amps are gonna be history. As a big hybrid modeler fan, what they're doing excites me. I just wish they'd come out with a Vetta hybrid or something, then I would switch over to that from the Vypyr Tube.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah the Gibson Robot guitar is probably one of the biggest innovations of this time period. Though I really don't like the idea of being so lazy/inept that you can't tune your guitar. I kinda like tube amps, analogue electronics, and the whole old-school gear. The digital age is something that kinda makes me nervous about the future of music in general. The human element seems to be taken out of the production process a little at a time.
This isn't really something we'll look back on but something that will just improve. Look at mbox's and similar audio interfaces. 20 years ago, not nearly as many people were messing around with recording, except for audio engineers.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Holy necrobump
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Holy necrobump

+1

I never figured Zoot for a necrobumper, it's usually randoms with few posts.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Darkflame
Everything I wanted to say has been said already =(
digital modeling, mainly... polyphonic (tuners, octavers, harmonizers..)
MIDI in general is something that hasn't been around for THAT long and that's quite a milestone... you can think of a MIDI setup with a pedalboard and a rackmount, but there's also the midi keyboard, midi electronic drumkit, guitarpro and fruity loops...

I've been using MIDi for almost 30 years. Not that old huh? That makes me feel a bit younger.

Load resistors to protect output transformer when speaker is unplugged.

Shameless plug
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100