I have an original run peavey 5150 combo. I'm told it's fixed bias. Does that mean I can toss ANY 6L6GC and ANY 12AX7 in it and not have problems as long as they aren't crappy valves?

thanks in advance
The majority of production amps are "fixed bias." What this means is that the bias point is "fixed" external to the tubes. Most amps have a trim pot that makes the "fixed" point adjustable. Others, like Mesa amps, use a resistor to permanently set the "fixed" point. The other bias method for a tube amp is using a cathode bias, where eat tube sets it's own bias point. This is the case with true class A amplifiers.

I found this on another forum.
Yeah, I read through all that I just want to make sure that I can literally put any 6L6GC or 12AX7 in this thing with no problems.
Now I'm not an expert on tubes so you should see what other people say too but I think you can. From everything I've read you can put any brand in there as long as it's the right tube. You might a better brand then say a chinese but still anything will work just get the right model tubes in there.
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
-------------------------------------------------
My amp has a set bias switch for El34 or 6l6. From my understanding its the factory set bias for these tubes.Many people including myself find the factory bias to be a bit cold. I used the trim pot to adjust the bias to a bit warmer setting. This may be the same case with the 5150. But you should be able to put any tube of the same type in there. Even if its a different brand.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by Maggot3000
My amp has a set bias switch for El34 or 6l6. From my understanding its the factory set bias for these tubes.Many people including myself find the factory bias to be a bit cold. I used the trim pot to adjust the bias to a bit warmer setting. This may be the same case with the 5150. But you should be able to put any tube of the same type in there. Even if its a different brand.

+1

Just make sure your tubes glow orange/amber, OP.

If you're not switching tube types, it shouldnt be a problem, but check the color in case.

Blue is not ideal, Orange/amber is great, Red is BAD!!
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
+1

Just make sure your tubes glow orange/amber, OP.

If you're not switching tube types, it shouldnt be a problem, but check the color in case.

Blue is not ideal, Orange/amber is great, Red is BAD!!

No. There have been a number of threads about this. Random tubes just glow blue, there is nothing wrong with it, and in fact a lot of people go to the trouble of finding tubes that will do this.

The 5150 combo is cathode biased. You do not NEED to change anything, though a lot of people mod the amp to get that additional control over it.

The Eurotubes retube packs are fantastic, they do a good job matching tubes up. I've used their regular 5150 212 pack before with great results.