I was at a gig yesterday and the bassist turned up with a full stack consisting of a head and 2 cabs (not so odd) what was strange was that he had a 4x10 stacked on a 1x15.

-Is this in fact pretty common and i/m just a doltz for not having seen it before?
-What would it do to the sound?
-He was mic'd from the 1x15 rather than the 4x10, does that mean the sound was probably mainly 1x15ey (thuogh the gig was small, probably very little gain on the mic)
-Is it likely he had a crossover behind sending the lows to the 1x15 and the rest to the 4x10 or was it probably just straight?

I just found it a bit strange having not seen that kit up before, anyone else do something similar?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Ask him
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I was going to go with a similar set up for my own gigging. Except 2x10 and an 1x18.

Also, Traynor makes a cabinet that is equipped with a 2x10 and a 1x15 + horn.

Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Never would have thought that to be strange, thats the exact setup I used to have until I traded away my 15 cab like a fool...
The classic Trace Elliot stack was 1x15 + 4x10, what isn't classic is micing up bass, DI-ing is the norm.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn