Hey guys.

I'm getting a guitar for my 21st birthday and I'm going to get a metal guitar but I don't know anything about them.

I wanna learn how to shred and play megadeth (peace sells) style music, that's the type metal and shredding tone I really like.

I know there's a lot of metal guitars out there that are made for hardcore and petrucci/satch like tones and I really don't like that sort've new metal sound.

Also the guitar will need to be really good for shredding.

And for the love of god no floyd rose please lol, I hate those things with a passion.
Also I want a 6 stringer and I can upgrade the pickups at a later date too.

My budget is $900-1200 Aussie dollars.

Also I'm buying second hand. Cheers.
Im not good with aussie dolars how much is that in US
esp,jackson,ibanez,BC rich are the main brands you should be looking
they all have at least one model that will suit you
I have a Dean ML knight for sale man, has EMG's and the Floyd is blocked so you can do whatever tuning you desire! 550 plus the deluxe case!
Quote by ILLaViTaR
Hey mate, in US dollars it's $800-$1000.

I'd get something along the line of ltd/esp V-300 or up
I have v-200 a much cheaper model,I keep it tuned in a# and play behemoth on it and it stays in tune for a solid 45-60 minutes
I understand the no floyd rose thing,but a lot of the mid to higher end models have them!
Hey nah sorry mate, I wanna get a higher quality guitar.

Also I'm left handed.

Cheers,
Quote by ILLaViTaR
Hey nah sorry mate, I wanna get a higher quality guitar.

Also I'm left handed.

Cheers,

and that's why I said v-300 or up,keep in mind that the ESP proper models are a lot better than the LTD ones.
I'm guessing that you want something that you will use for the next couple of years
right?
Then save up and buy something like jackson rr-1 or some other US model,there should be a lefty out there.
The alternative:get your own custom,it will cost you an arm and a leg,and most probably a kidney or two but it will solve all of your problems.
You could try and track down a used Jackson or ESP Dave Mustaine signature, or a VMNT, if you really like the Dave Mustaine sound. Not sure if they do lefty models or not. He's only used the Dean on United Abominations and Endgame recordings, but it's not a radically different sound. I'm pretty sure he had either the BC Rich or Jackson for Peace Sells, though.

All in all, the VMNT is a great guitar, especially for Dean. What pickups are you considering switching to? The Livewires are actives, so you'll have to switch out wiring if you want to put in passives. That'll be the case with a lot of upper-end guitars though.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Thanks guys.

Ah i'll give Dean a miss then as I really don't like the new megadeth tone, and have heard better things about other brands.

Atm I'm looking at an ESP Horizon (no floyd rose) as I've seen a few in my price range and have heard nothing but good things about ESP. How does it sound? Basically I can't stand that "nintendo" bright like shredding tone that dream theater and a lot of newer metal bands do.

Also I can't find an ESP version of that V-300?

I'm also liking the ibanez, schecter and jacksons.
well imo if you dont want a trem, go TOM. i wrap around the bridge like zak wylde (duane allamn did it first).

the bridge creates a "bridge" with the strings between the tail peice and tune o matic. you can rest your hand on it and it is a dream for palm muting and individual picking. i like it.
I would go for a Fender Strat. They have both single and double coil pick ups for maximum versatility and large frets that allow easy playability.

ron666
Look, no one's saying it for some reason so I will...

Guitars have very little to do with tone. They don't really make guitars designed for a certain sound. Any guitar can sound like anything, given you have a proper amp.

If you want to learn how to shred, then the most important thing you can do is get a guitar that's comfortable to you. It doesn't matter what it is, if it's comfortable. A guitar's sound can be changed a thousand different ways. Comfort comes first. Then we can tell you how to get it to sound like how you want it to.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As far as I know, Mustaine used to play a Jackson King V. It's a good guitar, I'd say your budget would get you one of the high end models second hand!
Irland ist ein Drogenparadies?
i suggest a dean or a bc rich if ur spending more than $800, bc riches higher quality guitars are more than there value in my opinion have fun
Quote by Offworld92

Guitars have very little to do with tone. They don't really make guitars designed for a certain sound. Any guitar can sound like anything, given you have a proper amp.

Did i just get trolled? or is this guy actually serious??????????

edit: and there is a very good reason that nobody is saying that.
Last edited by colgo889 at Jul 12, 2010,
well to a degree. hardware counts. big shred guitars have floyds and locking nuts, etc.

however the pickups and neck profile matter as well.

but for example iron maiden all play strats (or strat style). however all of them are running high output humbucking single coil sized humbuckers through an amp with respectable gain.

iron maiden could not sound the same with a stock strat. those strats probably have hundreds if not thousands of dollars in them.

but yea. randy rhoads played with a les paul custom. not sure, but im going to assume it was stock. any anybody with one knows, if your humbuckers are outputting AT LEAST 8-10k
and the gain is up you can approch metal music. i mean...it worked for some of the greatest metal players known.

however to get megadeth tones or something really heavy like slipknot....your going to need some serious pickup changes to get tones like those. high output or actives.
I suggest a Schecter like mine or one of the other Hellraiser or Blackjack series guitars they offer.
Quote by ILLaViTaR
Hey guys.

I'm getting a guitar for my 21st birthday and I'm going to get a metal guitar but I don't know anything about them.

I wanna learn how to shred and play megadeth (peace sells) style music, that's the type metal and shredding tone I really like.

I know there's a lot of metal guitars out there that are made for hardcore and petrucci/satch like tones and I really don't like that sort've new metal sound.

Also the guitar will need to be really good for shredding.

And for the love of god no floyd rose please lol, I hate those things with a passion.
Also I want a 6 stringer and I can upgrade the pickups at a later date too.

My budget is $900-1200 Aussie dollars.

Also I'm buying second hand. Cheers.

If you like JP so much and your budget is that high why dont you get this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-Music-Man-JP50-John-Petrucci-Signature-Guitar-/330401516620?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4ced770c4c
I prefer Floyds myself but if you hate them thats your problem
Quote by CarvinDC127
If you like JP so much and your budget is that high why dont you get this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-Music-Man-JP50-John-Petrucci-Signature-Guitar-/330401516620?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4ced770c4c
I prefer Floyds myself but if you hate them thats your problem

Scratch that if you want a high end guitar with that price then go to carvin.com and custom order one for like 1100 max and it has no extra cost for lefty's. I've heard people say that they are made for blues but believe me as a metalhead that it does NOT disappoint with distortion of songs like Master of Puppets or lead tones perfect for songs like Anthems of Apocalypse (Winds of Plague). In other words....the stock pups are good.
For that kind of money I reckon you are right to wanna go second hand

The thing about metal guitars is they tend not to hold their value very well, as compared to LPs and strats anyway.. so if you buy new you'll never get your money back, but buy second hand and you can get quite a bit for your money

you could get a non-trem Ibanez Prestige for about A$1000, and they're some of the best production-line guitars ever built
Quote by Offworld92

If you want to learn how to shred, then the most important thing you can do is get a guitar that's comfortable to you. It doesn't matter what it is, if it's comfortable. A guitar's sound can be changed a thousand different ways. Comfort comes first. Then we can tell you how to get it to sound like how you want it to.

Hey

I know that it's mostly fingers and all that but I can still tell giant differences between the different guitars I've played. Especially guitars with upgraded pickups, which I guess is what you mean when you can make a guitar sound a tousand different ways, but this isn't always true. I was going to put a bareknuckle painkiller in my strat until I was told it would be way too bright. So for me comfort will come first but sound is just as important, it needs to have the right sound for metal.

I currently own a Mexican strat, MIJ 62 tele and an acoustic.

The amp I'm running through is a JCM 900 with greenbacks but I didn't mention it as I don't want this amp to influence which guitar I choose as I'll be buying a metal amp at a later date better suited to the guitar. So please don't suggest me a metal guitar because it's suited to the JCM 900.

Cheers.
Schecter Blackjack ATX, or go washburn guitars.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Quote by ILLaViTaR
Thanks guys.

Ah i'll give Dean a miss then as I really don't like the new megadeth tone, and have heard better things about other brands.

Atm I'm looking at an ESP Horizon (no floyd rose) as I've seen a few in my price range and have heard nothing but good things about ESP. How does it sound? Basically I can't stand that "nintendo" bright like shredding tone that dream theater and a lot of newer metal bands do.

Also I can't find an ESP version of that V-300?

I'm also liking the ibanez, schecter and jacksons.

esp v
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_v2.html
so.. are we talking a guitar that looks metal? Or a guitar that is comfortable for playing metal? Or one that sound good for metal?

Going for looks, well.. I've noticed most companies / lines that focus on looks (especially the metal crowd) arent that great quality for the money. Like B.c. Rich.
Someone is probably going to say that some of the upperclass models are nice.. I agree, but the nice guitars arent realy what'd you expect for the pricetag.

Going for a metal sound.. well.. anything goes. Pickups and amps are probably more important in that regard, especially for metal. I usualy dont focus so much on stock sounds, when I shop for a guitar, I figure in the cost of replacing the pickups anyhow and get a somewhat cheaper guitar.

Comfort and playability are imo the most important aspects. This is just my personal prefference, but I dont really care about pointy body shapes and dark looking colours these days.

So yeah, brands. B.c. Rich has the looks, but most of their guitars are just uncomfortable and thrasy sounding for me. Jackson makes some good looking brands and playable guitars, the quality of their mid-range models has been going downhill tho.
Ibanez makes some very good & comfortable guitars for the price. Especially the RG series is a metal favorite. LTD guitars are nice too.
Have you checked the 2nd hand market in Aus? If you are looking for a specific guitar that isn't common & you are left handed then you could be looking for a looooonnnnggg time unless you are willing to get something shipped from abroad. Which then costs a lot of money making the argument for buying second hand much weaker. Finding 2nd hand lefty guitars in the UK is far from easy, unless you want an Epihone Les Paul, SG or Squier strat, and I suspect it will be even harder in Australia.

Maybe the economics work out differently from Aus than in the UK. From my experience, which is limited to buying in the UK, Ibanez and Jackson are more common in your price range (but nearly all come with Floyd Rose style tremolo). A second hand LTD EC-1000 might do the trick. I saw one on eBay for £500 (AUS$ 850ish) but I had a search on eBay for "ESP left handed" for over 4 months before coming across it.

You could also consider buying something then changing the pickups etc to modify the tone.
Last edited by Vialli at Jul 13, 2010,