I was wondering how I should go about muting strings when bending. For example if I wanted to bend the high E string a whole step (10b12) then I always have unwanted noise from the G and B strings when I release the bend. I'm using distortion too by the way. My bridge likes to make some noise on strings that aren't even being picked. For example if I pick my low E string my high E will start to make noise. I'm just wondering if there is a technique to keeping strings muted somehow when doing bends, or if my guitar is messing it up a little bit. I know you can palm mute strings when you don't want to hear them, but it seems kind of tricky when doing bends.

Any tips?

WHERE IS MY PICK?
what i like to do is mute the lower strings with my palm, kinda like you are palm muting the lower strings but you arent playing them. I also use the tips of the fingers that you are using to bend the string, when i bend the string i push my fingers into the lower string to stop them from making a sound. Usually a combination of both methods works pretty well. It will take some time to get used to though.
I think there could be a problem with your guitar, since when I pick my low E string the other strings will obviously feel the vibrations and will make a noise. But you shouldn't hear it since your low E string is way louder because thats the string you hit. As for the bends you could try heavier gauge strings, that will make it harder (i prefer these for the same reason) to bend but your bends will not go all the way to the B and G strings, or when you bend make sure the other strings go on top of the nail of the finger you bending with, doing so will mute the B string and G string
I was experimenting with that yesterday sensesXfailx
I noticed my nails where touching the strings, so when I let off the noise could happen easier. I try bending so the "meat" of my fingertips is touching.

Quote by guitarscreams
I think there could be a problem with your guitar, since when I pick my low E string the other strings will obviously feel the vibrations and will make a noise. But you shouldn't hear it since your low E string is way louder because thats the string you hit. As for the bends you could try heavier gauge strings, that will make it harder (i prefer these for the same reason) to bend but your bends will not go all the way to the B and G strings, or when you bend make sure the other strings go on top of the nail of the finger you bending with, doing so will mute the B string and G string

My guitar is kind of crappy. It's an Ibanez IJX40 (a jumpstart guitar). So I know it isn't the greatest. I think that is part of the problem, but I'll just try making do with what I have.

WHERE IS MY PICK?