Im going to be getting an amp along with a new guitar soon and would like the amp to sound relatively close to Kirk Hammett on the Ride the Lightning album, or more specifically Creeping Death. My price range is anything up to $2700 (£1800). I'm thinking of either Randall or Marshall, but would like some suggestions. Thanks
If you're going to be spending upwards of $2,700, I'd probably go for something like a Mesa or anything similar. But honestly you should try out most of the amps you're thinking about (I assume you're gonna do that anyway since you're spending $2700).
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
you mentioned pounds. are you in the UK?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you mentioned pounds. are you in the UK?

Yeah I'm in the UK, but if I can get an amp like that I'm willing to pay dollars if it's in dollars
well kirk currently endorses Randall, i dont think his Randall amp emulates the ride the lightning tone very well, it has too much midrange and breaks at the wrong point, this is after seeing them live and this could also be because of the micing situation and the cabs used themselves, if you want that tone it would be between a vintage marshall and a mesa dual or roadking, im actually not sure which one he used in the mesas to replicate the ride the lightning tone, but your best bet would be a marshall
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
i think early metallica was marshalls. jcm800s? from what i hear, i think you have to crank them to get that kind of tone, though, so if you can't do that that's worth bearing in mind.

is the £1800 for the head only, or for a cab too?

EDIT: where are you in the UK, out of interest? Don't post your address or anything daft, lol, but your county, or even north/south/east/west of england/scotland/wales/NI would do, just so we know which guitar shops you're close to.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 12, 2010,
Maybe a used JCM800 and a Tube Screamer?

AFAIK, that's about what they used for RTL.
I also read that they used an additional EQ.

And if you want to sound like Kirk make sure that you have a wah.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JCM 800's and I think they had one old 1959 SLP, but it was only used for leads. I got into the stuff about Flemming Rasmussen posting all the EQ and other things from MoP and AJFA the other day. Most of it's gone offline, but I found a pic of the studio amps at the start of the MoP sessions, and it's a pile of JCM 800's and a Mesa. They had Mesa Mark IIc+ amps, and slaved the pre-amp into a JCM800 for rhythms.

I'd suggest a Marshall with a Tubescreamer if you want Kirk's lead sound. 'His' rhythm sound is actually James through Kirk's gear and EQ settings, and that's straight Marshall with rare use of a Pro-Co RAT. James claims to have phased out his distortion pedals by the RTL tour, because he didn't like the sound as much as amp distortion.