For starters, I want to say for now, this is hypothetical.. I am going to have to wait until my stuff on CraigsList is sold or I finally get my first job.

I have a Crate V50 all tube amp.
I run my DS-1 through it's clean channel for my distortion.

In all honesty, it doesn't sound very good, it's very harsh and the highs are terrible. No amount of EQ'ing helps this pedal.

The Crate's OD channel is somewhat.. Lacking for what I play. I'm generally a metal player, I like my fair amount of gain, but nothing over the top. I'm not into deathmetal/deathcore or anything core.

Not to be a fan boy but I love Mastodon's tone, especially on the Crack The Skye album. More or less.. It's what I want to get down the line. Or around there..

So here's the deal: Should I attempt to sell my Crate V50 and get a more metal-suited tube amp? Note - It has to be a combo, preferably lower wattage.

OR should I try to get a new pedal to either tighten up the Crate's OD channel, or even just have a standalone pedal used on the clean channel?

Styles I play:
Stuff like Lamb of God, Mastodon, some Disturbed, Mudvayne, Killswitch.. But I dabble a lot in cleans. I use my Crate's spring reverb A LOT and use my Arion Delay all the time.

Basically, I want an amp with a great Overdrive or distorted lead channel, but also with great cleans.. The V50's cleans are great.

I'm considering throwing an ad up on CraigsList, saying I'd trade my Crate V50, my DS-1, and my Roland Cube for a better amp.

What should I be after? Or should I stick with the V50 and get a better pedal?

I'm set guitar-wise.. My Schecter is great.
Yea go for a heavier pedal.

MXR Fullbore metal is a good one as well as the Boss ML pedals
Quote by Axim Bassist

Does it have true bypass? I'm assuming I'd use something like this just on my clean channel, so I can click it off to have my cleans come in.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
i guess Fullbore does... but hmm i wouldnt recomend Boss ml at all... could be my opinion but...

or may be Metal Muff??!! or digitech's hardwire metal distortion??!

Yeah I've been thinking about those Hardwire pedals ever since I saw them reviews in Guitar World, they seem great, though a little pricey for me.
i say amp. find one with a good OD channel and you can sell both the pedal and the amp. im sure your pedal will sound better through a tube anyway. most normally do
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
id go with the amp too. dont care for any of the bands listed except mastodon, i love their tone as well. how much do you think you'd look to spend? maybe we can make some suggestions for ya
You could sell the V50 and look for an Ampeg VH140 or SS140, or even a Crate GX130. All of these would do precisely what you want right out of the box.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by vigenharutyunya
ohh yeah the price is nearly 150~~~ i guess

hmm may be check Metal muff with top boost??!! 90 bux

I heard the top boost is real treble-y

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by ajreciever14
i say amp. find one with a good OD channel and you can sell both the pedal and the amp. im sure your pedal will sound better through a tube anyway. most normally do

My V50 is all tube.

Okay, I'm going to look into the FullBore, Metal Muff, and even the Hardwire pedals..

Thanks guys. I'll keep my V50 and look into some nicer quality pedals.
1. i personally think all crate amps are garbage for the most part

2. the v50 isn't designed for the high gain tones you want, it's more of a boutique styled amp aimed more for cleans.

3.get some kind of peavey, marshall, mesa, bugera, ect. something with more gian on tap so you don't have to rely as much on a pedal
Quote by handbanana
1. i personally think all crate amps are garbage for the most part

2. the v50 isn't designed for the high gain tones you want, it's more of a boutique styled amp aimed more for cleans.

3.get some kind of peavey, marshall, mesa, bugera, ect. something with more gian on tap so you don't have to rely as much on a pedal

I would if I had the budget for it. I know the Crate isn't styled for what I play. I traded my acoustic for it (Which I got for free) so it was no cash on my part. Plus it was my first tube amp so it was for sure an upgrade for me.

With the right set of pedals any amp can do anything, but from advice from this thread I think I'll keep my amp for now and throw ~$100 USD into a pedal (Or even 2, I'll try used..).

In the future I'll try to sell everything I have for a complete upgrade.. I've been thinking about that a lot recently.

I'll only keep my Schecter (And possibly a pedal or two depending what I will buy from this.) and sell my Crate V50, my Roland Cube 30x, my current pedals, and my LTD H-100 and my Epi SG Special.
Quote by Axim Bassist

No.

Barber Dirty Bomb.

Much nicer, pretty cheap. Pretty much my fave high gain pedal. Most definitely worth looking into.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

sell it all and get a blackstar HT-5 combo :]

low wattage, versitile, cheap.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
you could probably sel the crate for liek $250 ish, you could even upgrade with just that much tbh
Don't get the Fullbore Metal, it sounds like a metal dick rammed up my ass. Or, alternatively, a can o' bees. The Digitech Hardwire is awesome, Blackstar's HT-Distx is SWEET.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Quote by iheartmy7
sell it all and get a blackstar HT-5 combo :]

low wattage, versitile, cheap.

I hear about that a lot..
How well can it do metal? I would consider it. I'd attempt to find one used.. But even brand new it's 399, which isn't all that bad if I can sell my Crate and my Roland..
the blackstar would be good but you'll probably need a decent distortion pedal for it
Quote by handbanana
the blackstar would be good but you'll probably need a decent distortion pedal for it

As there's literally no way for me to try out anything but guitars around here, I really have to rely on UG's word when it comes to equipment..

Should I go for the Blackstar? I'm loving what I'm hearing on YouTube.
It's low wattage, sounds great, reviews and such say it takes pedals well..

What would be a good pedal for this amp? I also hear an EQ pedal can make this amp shine by tightening it up a lot.. Good idea?

I'm honestly pretty much a noob when it comes to pedals/tube amps.. So I always come here.
In your situation i'd say either blackstar or a jet city jca 20, would be ideal for you.

I personally really like tubescreamers. Gives it a very warm fuzzy sound(in a good way). I loved my TS9 pretty much intantly. I knew it had exactly what I needed in an overdrive pedal. I also use a Boss OD-3 behind it for a small boost since the od-3 has more of a natural light tone. Kind of similar to the DS-1 but much clearer and defined, with less low end.

Although for the most part i'd say boss makes some of the worser overdrive pedals.
The only ones I like are the OD-3, and the metal core (not metalzone) gives a cool emtombed sounding effect, actually perfect if you do in fact play metalcore. I'm thinking about getting one.

Other than that I would look at Ibanez or Maxon Tubescreamers. The 808 is the best hands down.

Also the EHX big muff line, little big much, metal muff, etc. Are all pretty good fuzz/orverdrive pedals.

they're are a lot of overdrives out there, you just gotta keep trying different stuff until you find what suits you
Quote by handbanana
In your situation i'd say either blackstar or a jet city jca 20, would be ideal for you.

I personally really like tubescreamers. Gives it a very warm fuzzy sound(in a good way). I loved my TS9 pretty much intantly. I knew it had exactly what I needed in an overdrive pedal. I also use a Boss OD-3 behind it for a small boost since the od-3 has more of a natural light tone. Kind of similar to the DS-1 but much clearer and defined, with less low end.

Although for the most part i'd say boss makes some of the worser overdrive pedals.
The only ones I like are the OD-3, and the metal core (not metalzone) gives a cool emtombed sounding effect, actually perfect if you do in fact play metalcore. I'm thinking about getting one.

Other than that I would look at Ibanez or Maxon Tubescreamers. The 808 is the best hands down.

Also the EHX big muff line, little big much, metal muff, etc. Are all pretty good fuzz/orverdrive pedals.

they're are a lot of overdrives out there, you just gotta keep trying different stuff until you find what suits you

I just need to take your word for it.. No way to try out pedals at Daddy's Junky here.. Wouldn't be a decent amp to try out with anyway.

One side is Spider IV's, the other MG's. Then the Vox modelers (Valvetronix?).. There's some tube amps there, sure. Do they ever work or are they ever available to play through? No, of course not.
/Rant about sh*tty daddy's junky music here.

I'm going to look around for a used metal muff w/ top boost.. I really like the sound of that from YouTube. I'll also put my Crate up on craigslist I suppose..

Do you think $250 would be a fair price for it?
ask $275 or $300 and see what you can get

also just realize i said little big much instead of muff
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
ask $275 or $300 and see what you can get

Will do.. Thanks.
If I can sell my Crate, and hopefully my Cube or even my video games I'm trying to sell.. I can buy the Blackstar and some awesome new pedals.

I mean.. I can always return it if I don't like it, in most cases, right? I'll check return policies but I'd have to order off the internet..

EDIT: Little big much
hmm there isn't a guitar center anywhere within reasonable driving distance of you?

EDIT:There is a guitar center in Nashua, New Hampshire, 21 miles from Gofftown, and another in Danvers, Massachusetts, 44 miles away. 21 miles ain't far at all
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 12, 2010,
Quote by NosralTserrof
Don't get the Fullbore Metal, it sounds like a metal dick rammed up my ass. Or, alternatively, a can o' bees. The Digitech Hardwire is awesome, Blackstar's HT-Distx is SWEET.

the fullbore didn't sound very good to me either. the tone is piercing and sharp and for a tone like mastadon, it would be useless.

if you get a metal muff (they are decent) skip on the topboost model. the topboost is unusable IMHO. it is so trebely, in my opinion there is no use for it out there. i know that is a harsh statement, but i have messed around with one for quite awhile trying to like it to no avail.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by handbanana
hmm there isn't a guitar center anywhere within reasonable driving distance of you?

EDIT:There is a guitar center in Nashua, New Hampshire, 21 miles from Gofftown

Yeah I ordered my Roland there. Was quick and easy. But a few things are more expensive when ordering there.. The Blackstar HT-5 being one of them.

They have NOTHING there for equipment though.. Not a single pedal, they have 4 amps (One shelve is Line 6 Spiders, the other is Marshall MG's).

Guitar wise they have a much better selection, but I'm not in the market for another axe right now so.. That sucks.

My car is a POS to be honest, couldn't handle trip to the MA GC.
how does a guitar center only have 4 amps? never heard of such a thing. check out that one in massachusettes. would take under an hour to get there. i know theres a huge one in boston right by fenway if you live near there
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Yeah I ordered my Roland there. Was quick and easy. But a few things are more expensive when ordering there.. The Blackstar HT-5 being one of them.

They have NOTHING there for equipment though.. Not a single pedal, they have 4 amps (One shelve is Line 6 Spiders, the other is Marshall MG's).

Guitar wise they have a much better selection, but I'm not in the market for another axe right now so.. That sucks.

My car is a POS to be honest, couldn't handle trip to the MA GC.

my gc is like that too. it kinda sucks. But I'm also in the middle of like 10 different music stores though so that makes it better.

Are there no sweet shops in new hampshire?

http://manchestermusicmill.com/musicmill/?page_id=435
http://www.earcraftmusic.com/MfgView.aspx?cat=Amps
http://www.retroguitar.com/
http://www.vintagefret.com/pages/amps.html
http://www.bluemtguitar.com/
http://www.guitargallery.com/

hmm....new hampshire seems to populated by only old people. i forgot it was a state for second.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by handbanana
how does a guitar center only have 4 amps? never heard of such a thing. check out that one in massachusettes. would take under an hour to get there. i know theres a huge one in boston right by fenway if you live near there

When it's the smallest corner store in an already small plaza..
It's not even worth wasting my time going there anymore..

AND WELCOME TO NEW HAMPSHIRE! Small sh*thole with nothing in it!

AW I made myself sad.

I'll see if I can swing on down to that MA one.. I've never been inside a real guitar store

EDIT^: Wow all those are a far drive. Except the music mill.. That's right in Manch. I've been there a few times, it was cool, but still not too much for what you would expect in a store. Not a very.. Uh, metal oriented place. It's populated by strats and fender amps.. Lol.
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Jul 12, 2010,