So, im in the process of getting a new amp,and ive been wondering:
Can a 5W tube amp be heard well over drums(and, in the clean channel,stay clean)?

Im currently not in a band,band i want to assure myself that i can still join one and play well over the drums.
The amp in question is the Blackstar HT-5,which is pretty well known around here.
Getting it will be better financially than the other:ENGL Gigmaster,which is 15W but can be dropped to 5W and 1W.

So,can it?
Tis a sig
5W has no headroom in most cases. I doubt it can stay clean over a drummer unless it's an amp designed to just not break up.
If it has the option to be hooked up to an external cabinet, then just run it through a 4x12 cabinet.

Then it will be loud enough.
^ Regardless of cabinet selection, a 5W will have a hard time being heard over a drummer if you're playing clean.

Micing it is an option, if a PA is available.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The HT-5 is going to have problems being heard in band situations, especially where mixing is bad etc...

You probably should go for a more powerful amp.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Get Fender Super Champ XD. Then you'll have a more versatile amp that IMO sounds better and 15 watts.
Quote by Seref
5W has no headroom in most cases. I doubt it can stay clean over a drummer unless it's an amp designed to just not break up.

+1. I don't gig, and I only play at home, and even in a home environment, 5 watts is not very loud if you want it to stay completely clean.

Don't get me wrong, I still contend that 5 watts is too loud for home use if you want to crank it, lol. But you're not getting much headroom at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?