K fellas, I've been playing a loooong time, but no modding really. My knowledge of it is very limited and I understand it's all personal opinion. But I wanna know what you think. That aside, here we go:

I have a Nashville Tele. Specs:
21 Medium Jumbo Frets
9.5" Fretboard Radius
Rosewood Neck
3 Tex Mex Pickups (Tele, Strat, Tele) with 5-way selector switch

Recently I went to G.C. and played the Mayer strat, and I'm really diggin the scoop. I hear you can get this from other underwound pickups. But the main question is if I change out the neck of the Tele Pickup to an underwound Strat Pickup (it would then be underwound strat, tex mex strat, tex mex tele). How would the 2nd pickup selection sound having an underwound and a tex mex both goin? Would they cancel eachother out providing just a standard sound, would it sound bad, good, original? Etc.

Please lemme know what you guys think!
Thanks

PS - I understand that putting a strat pickup in the next slot would require routing of the body etc.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
from my experience, having drastically different pickups resistances together sounds pretty crap. when i first started modding my affinity (man that was so long ago..) i put in new middle and neck singles. the bridge pup stayed stock becasue i liked the sound.

the bridge pup was only 3k-ish and the new pups were about 6k. the position where the bridge and middle pups were selected sounded terrible, but each pup sounded fine alone and the middle+neck position sounded fine.

as for hum cancelling, in order for that to work both coils must have exactly the same number of turns of wire (in addition to proper electrical and magnetic polarity). the more you deviate from that the less hum is cancelled.

this is why most humbuckers still hum a little. people like to tweak the tone by tweaking the turn ratios. some pups have a ratio as drastic as 4:1. a better way (and dimarzio does this with their EVO pups) is to uses different wire gauges on the coils instead of screwing with the turn ratios. this cancels the common-mode noise but keeps some of the harmonics of that noise, adding to the complexity of the pup's sound.

and there's your amazing fact for the day.
Well if you wanted to super over-complicate things you could individually buffer them and combine them after buffering. If you tuned the circuit right the blend would be good. But then you have an active output and that would also change the character of everything.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
It's a mixture of stuff. A major part of it is the output differences. Even with a calibrated set you can notice it; a SD SH2 in the neck will shunt out an SH4 in the bridge when combined in parallel, so when combining them on my LP I have to turn the SH4 to about 8.5 and the SH2 to 7 on the volume knobs to get a good blend (both are low because I use higher volume settings to distort my amp). It also affects the hum canceling, and other factors, but a major problem with different pickups is quite often that one simply shunts the other, making two switch positions sound the same.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
By "diggin the scoop" I assume you mean a mid scoop right? Why not get an EQ pedal to do that? I don't have any idea on the frequency response curves of any of the pickups you're talking about, but if you like the sound of your current pickups but just want to tweak it a bit, I'd just get an EQ or a modboard or something.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Gotchya, gathering that this is a bad idea haha. Glad I asked

xstillspinninx - I thought about that, used to use an EQ pedal for when I had a Les Paul so I could get a bluesy strat sound. Hated it, EQ kills a lotta the tone quality, from my experience. Tinny sound, especially with single coils. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Awesome, thanks a lot fellas! (doubtful, but, any ladies also)
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"