Hello UG,
I need to now what pentatonic scale would fit for a solo in the following chord
progression.

E G D A

Thanks,
19GNRFan
They're all major chords?

You're gonna want a major pentatonic then, so I'd say the D major pentatonic.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by 19GNRFan
Hello UG,
I need to now what pentatonic scale would fit for a solo in the following chord
progression.

E G D A

Thanks,
19GNRFan

we're going to need the key, first. it's looking like either A or E, but we need to know how you're treating it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
we're going to need the key, first. it's looking like either A or E, but we need to know how you're treating it.

It could be D too... There's a Dmaj, which could be the I, a Gmaj which could be the IV, and a Amaj which could be the V... so... Yeah...
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
If it's in A maj which it looks like it is in, then that G should be diminished.

Quote by Dream Floyd
It could be D too... There's a Dmaj, which could be the I, a Gmaj which could be the IV, and a Amaj which could be the V... so... Yeah...

Another possibility. But then the E should be minor, and it doesn't properly resolve.
Last edited by Sóknardalr at Jul 11, 2010,
Quote by Sóknardalr
Another possibility. But then the E should be minor, and it doesn't properly resolve.

What if he wants it to be dissonant?
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
Quote by Sóknardalr
If it's in A maj which it looks like it is in, then that G should be diminished.

no. if it's in A major, it can have a Gmaj, borrowed from the parallel minor. if you wanted to throw a diminished chord in the mix, far more often you would choose G#º rather than Gº, because Gº wants to resolve to Abmaj, not Amaj.

Quote by Sóknardalr

not necessarily. it could resolve well using that plagal cadence. the E doesn't necessarily have to be minor -- it could be a non-functioning secondary dominant.

Quote by Dream Floyd

the function of chords is more important than the chords that are there. yes, it could be D major, it could also be C# minor. the E major could be the bIII, the G could be a bV borrowed from the parallel locrian, the A could be the bVI, and the D could be a neapolitan chord. but that doesn't seem likely - and D major doesn't seem likely to me, either.

for the sake of helping TS, we're better off waiting to hear what key he's given the progression, rather than arguing about what it could possibly be.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
it could also be C# minor. the E major could be the bIII, the G could be a bV borrowed from the parallel locrian, the A could be the bVI, and the D could be a neapolitan chord.

That all went WAY OVER my head.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
Quote by AeolianWolf
no. if it's in A major, it can have a Gmaj, borrowed from the parallel minor. if you wanted to throw a diminished chord in the mix, far more often you would choose G#º rather than Gº, because Gº wants to resolve to Abmaj, not Amaj.

not necessarily. it could resolve well using that plagal cadence. the E doesn't necessarily have to be minor -- it could be a non-functioning secondary dominant.

Well nothing HAS to be anything. I was just pointing out what they should be classically speaking, notwithstanding any borrowed chords. Also I never noticed that G#° has a stronger pull towards A maj; thanks for pointing that out.