So i'm a big fan of dubstep techno and as a bass player i would like to be able to get that WOMP weeble wobble effect on my bass while playing live cause i feel it would be a lot of fun and a crowd pleaser if my band could pull out a dubstep tune in the middle of no where. If any one has any suggestions on amp/effect settings to acheive this evil sounding bass tone it would be greatly appreciated. FYI i use a digitech synth/wah peddle which i feel could acheive the sound but also own an overdrive and an ampeg amp with many built in effects to play with.

For those of you not familiar with dubstep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRftXCiqfQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riv8gXlf2xk

Thanks
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
If you own the equipment that you think will achieve this...why dont you just figure it out instead of wasting time asking us? :|
A distortion probably, and some downtuning gizmo. Some Tremolo effect too, but I wouldn't make the same effect
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
This is pure guesswork, but the first idea I'd try when trying to achieve this sound is something like this;

Bass
->
Octaver pedal (adding a lower octive).

You'd need one that sent the two octives out separately, so that you could then;

Send the lower octive one clean to your amp.

And with the original octive;
Some sort of synth pedal. You'd have to mess with the settings yourself to find something you liked.
->
Big Muff (or similar fuzz pedal). I wouldn't go mad with fuzz, but add a bit.
->
A compressor pedal. Compress the hell out of it.

And then blend the two signals together.

This was all based off the sound on the "Bass Head" track, but that would be how I'd try to get a similar sound.
Quote by MattyW
If you own the equipment that you think will achieve this...why dont you just figure it out instead of wasting time asking us? :|

Cause I can't get the wobble with my effect negative nancy!!!!

but ziphoblat i have all that equipment except the octave peddle but i can probably find a buddy with one so ill let you know how that goes:/

and mapofyourhead im gonna have to try that lfo out it looks like it can give me the sound i want thanks!

looks like i have an excuse to go to guitar center now!
Quote by Pink_Floyd89
Hey baby, is that a mirror in your pocket or am I stabbing you repeatedly in the face?

The Slick Fingers of the Bass Malitia, PM IndieMetalHead to join

You don't own shit.
always its a synth, with a combination of sawtooth and sine waves + LFO (low frequency oscillation).

if you want to actually do it, your going to need a bass to midi converter. Then something like reason or ableton on a computer
High Templar of the UG Secret Society
PM SickMetal or Sanitarium24 to join.
aNOMaly
Fundamental to most dubstep is the inclusion of extra low frequencies. I'd say that getting either an octaver, or an amp with a subharmonic generator/somesuch is critical.

Most dubstep also uses a synthesiser to write the low parts, so a synth pedal and a compressor would be good investments.
its synthetic bass so without a bass - midi converter (which basically turns your bass into a midi controller), you arn't going to get close to it.

even if you do you'll need to get the software/hardware to do it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Lessthanbass22
Cause I can't get the wobble with my effect negative nancy!!!!

but ziphoblat i have all that equipment except the octave peddle but i can probably find a buddy with one so ill let you know how that goes:/

and mapofyourhead im gonna have to try that lfo out it looks like it can give me the sound i want thanks!

looks like i have an excuse to go to guitar center now!

LFO is a bit broad really. LFOs are used for an infinite amount of things, including things such as chorus pedals. You will probably end up using them more often than you think, without even knowing it.
Get a Wah Filter a Distiortion pedal and a Hot Hands wireless ring and adaptor... (total of about $600 £350 )
EHX mole (bass booster)
EHX Pulsar Tremolo/ boss tr-2
EHX bass micro synth/ the digitech thing
Octaver Boss oc-3
muff
Compressor of some sort.

Not a listener of dubstep, or the like but based on what's being suggested this might be the cheapest route, especially used.

Now, Idk what amp you are using, but I wouldn't expect much dubstep bass out of a low watt amp. I'd be probably doing at least 1 amp with great headroom and multiple speakers with PA support for full surrounding bass effect, not to mention all the cables, Y boxes etc, to get all the signals to the right place, especially if you went stereo.

All in all it's a interesting concept to try, but unless I got all the stuff to do it for free, or for cheap I don't think I could justify hauling all the gear and creating an elaborate setup obviously far from what you are already using just for a close but no cigar sounding dubstep bass interlude to liven a set up.
Wow, didn't even notice, I saw your updated avatar, and just went along with it.
I can use a wah and whammy with some distortion to get a fair approximation but really you need an expression pedal and an LFO
I play live dubstep bass. I use almost the same gear as the bassist in the video up there ^

My sound isn't perfect though. To get the sound he has, you'll need a shitload of cash.
I just use a Source Audio Hot Hand Wah filter, with a Boss overdrive pedal, and it works for me.