I'd seriously consider buying a decent amp of the right volume, and buying a Sansamp VT bass for that Ampeg Tube sound in a pedal.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I am looking to purchase an amp. I will be playing medium sized gigs in bars/clubs for a punk/metal band. Any recommendations for amps? wattage? Should I go for 10s, 12s or a 15? My budget is $1200-1500.

I'm playing an Ibanez SRX2EX-1. No pedals.
I have heard amazing things about Mark Bass. Well either those or the Line 6 LowDown. My bassist has one and he's never been happeier
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by utmbarto
I have heard amazing things about Mark Bass. Well either those or the Line 6 LowDown. My bassist has one and he's never been happeier

No. I've played one and it's the bass equivalent of a Spider. IMO, of course.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
with that budget, you are gonna be looking at alot of really class manufacturers. You are gonna have to stop and try them out some, and do you have any specific sounds or bassists in mind?
Gk, Ampeg, Ashdown, Hartke, Markbass are all good
Are you looking for a combo? The GK MB 212 is a excellent amp. Im actually going to go buy one in another week. Also try out a Mark bass CMD121P. It is a really nice combo.

Stay away from line 6. There not terrible amps but for the price you can get something ALOT better.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
I also play punk (of different flavors).

One of my main set ups is a GK800rb and old Ampeg 2x15. I bout it all used and it cost me aboooooout $450 all together.

Buy used.

-15's (1x15 and 2x15) will be cheaper than 10's (4x10 6x10 and 8x10)
-look for old (80's and before) solid state amps. Sunn, Peavey, GK, Acoustic and Kustom.

THEE industry standard for punk bass is an Ampeg SVT tube head (usually 70's) and an Ampeg 8x10.

For your budget you could get a Peavey 8x10, Markbass LMII and a Tech21 VT Bass pedal and you will have almost the same tone as the Ampeg set up and for half the price.
I use a Lowdown 150 in a hardcore punk band and it works fine for me. The tuner is nice and having a preset makes things go much smoother. Then again, I got 20% off when I got it, so it was a better deal than normal.
friend of mine used a GK backline 600 through an ampeg 810 and was plenty loud!! almost louder then the guitarist witha mesa markIII i believe.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by Din of Win
For your budget you could get a Peavey 8x10, Markbass LMII and a Tech21 VT Bass pedal and you will have almost the same tone as the Ampeg set up and for half the price.

bam.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?