The strings I have right now aren't that durable. They break really easily. Does anyone have any recommedations for good 9 gauges that don't break too easily? They don't have to be 9s, but I'd prefer if they weren't too bright sounding.
I would second Elixir. I've had them on for two months and they're still nearly the same as when I first opened them.
Elixirs. No other comment required.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Strings are strings. Coated strings, such as Elixers, last longer because they have a coating that protects them from oxidation. Non-coated strings are pretty much all the same - the majority of them are made of steel. There is no magic string that is stronger or more durable than another string.
The longevity of strings is the last reason to choose them.

Select strings for their sound quality.

If any of the top 10 brands of strings are breaking on you, it is NOT the quality of strings but your guitar, method of playing, etc.

Strings should be changed with regular frequency. The more you do it, the less of a chore it will be.

Most guitarists, regardless of the brand of strings they are playing, can go months and years without breaking a string. I play guitar for two hours or so a day and haven't broke a string in a couple of years. String breakage is rarely an issue with the strings....it's due to poor guitar set up and poor playing.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Strings are strings. Coated strings, such as Elixers, last longer because they have a coating that protects them from oxidation. Non-coated strings are pretty much all the same - the majority of them are made of steel. There is no magic string that is stronger or more durable than another string.

I agree 100%
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
I use D'Addario 9s on my electric and I never have any issues with breaking. I definitely second the comments on Elixirs. I tried some on my acoustic and I am sold. They are well worth the extra $10 because they last forever. Even 6 months later they still look and sound great. They even tricked a friend of mine, who is also a musician, he asked if I just re stringed!!
Hello, my name is Rob and I am a guitar player .
I have no money, my wife left me and all I want to do is play another tune!
Quote by HermesMercury1
Then what do I do to make my techique better?

Practice.

However, frequent string breakage may be caused by a defect on the guitar such as a burr on the saddle or something like that.

Do the strings break in or around the same place every time?
The string that broke today was a new string I put on maybe 2 weeks ago.

I guess I mean what do I have to practice doing? I've been playing for about 5 years now. Do I need to change up my picking style? How hard I strum? I mean, I guess it's hard for you to know since you haven't seen me play.