my friend let me borrow his profire 610 and im testing it out before i decided to buy it and i have a bunch a bunch bunch of questions.

first with the interface itself and some terminology.

what is the sample rate? and buffer size exactly? what is the ideal sample rate and buffer size i should use?

the only thing i have noticed is the more i decrease the buffer size and the more i increase the sample rate it lowers my latency.

how much is too much latency right now im running guitar rig 4 with a latency of 3.8ms? is that too much?what is the ideal latency?

my other question is regarding the interface if i increase the volume all the way it starts giving me a distortion sound? is this normal?

now regarding the recording aspect.

how can i make my rhytmn guitar and lead guitar not blend together sounding like is one guitar play all that at same time?

what i have try doing is record rhytmn guitar at certain volume and then when i record lead guitar increase volume it gives a little more distinction but it still sounds all together?

this leads me to my next question should i increase volume in the program or should i increase it on the knob on the interface?

i have a taylor 314ce which is an electro acoustic. is it better if i plug guitar directly to interface to record or if i grab a mic like the sm58 and try to record with that?

and if i have to use the SM58 for some reason i have to crank the volume almost all the way up so the microphone picks up the acoustic sound loud enough? is this normal?

any help would be very very appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Latency = bad. The lower the number, the better. Sample rate affects your latency, the higher the sample rate, the higher the latency in most cases. Latency is the time it takes anything you play to reach the computer. I'm not an expert with buffer, I don't really need to change that setting.

The distortion is normal, it means that you're using more than the number of bits your recording with, so it comes through as clipping, otherwise known as digital distortion. Thats bad. Turn down your input...

thanks alot for the link found a bunch of useful info regarding the sample rate and the buffer size.

higher sample rate there is less latency but works the hell out of my cpu so the best settings i found that worked for me was 96000khz and 512 buffer.

also i did some math to determine how much latency would be too bad this is my reasoning

1second=1000ms

so if i was able to play 25nps which is insanely fast
1000/25=40ms

so a latency of 3.8ms or even 20ms or higher wouldn't affect my synchronization with the guitar.

but right now my problem is mixing the stuff.

i have tried a bunch of stuff and tried looking in the website but it covers more terminology and which interfaces and software to get than how to mix music

i put a recording in my profile called improvisation should be under playing guitar skills.

i would like to be able to mix the guitar in a way where the rhythm doesn't drown the lead and the lead doesn't drown the rhythm.

and i have also tried to multitrack but i dunno what i should be doing.

like do i increase the volume of my lead over the rhythm or do i mess with the EQ and leave both volumes the same or do i have to pan the guitar in a certain way?

if you guys could give me some pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated i tried looking for info in how to mix acoustic but it covers mostly about which microphones and other stuff and i never find anything relevant.

any help is greatly appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Technically, any amount of latency is going to effect your recording, especially if you're using headphones to hear what you're playing, because then the sound is going into your interface after you played it. If you're using a metronome in your DAW its gonna cause synchronization problems.

Trust me.
An easy guide for latency is this:

Sound travels roughly 1 foot per millisecond. So, if you're standing 5, 10, 15 feet away from someone, you can be expected to play reasonably well in time with them, and in fact, not notice how long it takes for the sound to get there.

150 feet away.... all bets are off.

Generally speaking, anything less than 20ms is not perceptible. Most people can work with latencies a little higher than that, but 20 is generally a good "yellow light = caution" limit.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.